To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whateverx2019 wrote: View Post
    the raps won't win if all this year....sell ...it'll be better for our future ...and once you sell ...you'll give the younger players more time to develop
    There are ways to sell and still have a good chance to compete a bit in the playoffs. Moving Serge and promoting Boucher to backup C would not hurt that much. Selling off Powell if there is a market likely wouldn't hurt us much either.

But all that relies on good health. So they need to be careful with their moves - if they trade those guys (especially Serge) they put themselves in a position where one injury can kill them unless they have gotten back a functional replacement (ie a big C to use if Gasol gets injured and there is a big C matchup) back in the trades.

The scenario I had floated was to try to sell Cleveland on taking back a package centered around Powell instead of around picks in a trade for Thompson, then trade Serge for a draft asset.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
      We need to trade norm, I am also not a OG fan. I would like to get something for Lowry if we can
      This one gave me whiplash, with how fast we went from reasonable to silly to blasphemous.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

This one gave me whiplash, with how fast we went from reasonable to silly to blasphemous.
        Trade for Serge, Gasol, and Lowry for sure. The thing about Norm is that he's pretty inconsistent and has low bball IQ IMO.

Nah, I wouldnt give up on OG yet from an offensive viewpoint.

Comment

Trade for Serge, Gasol, and Lowry for sure. The thing about Norm is that he's pretty inconsistent and has low bball IQ IMO.

Nah, I wouldnt give up on OG yet from an offensive viewpoint.
          Why would you trade Gasol and Lowry? We can be very, very good for the next two seasons. Unless some team is offering a blue chip prospect, what real value is there to be gained?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Why would you trade Gasol and Lowry? We can be very, very good for the next two seasons. Unless some team is offering a blue chip prospect, what real value is there to be gained?
            I'm not advocating to trade either of them but the fear is we hang on one season too long, we aren't "very very good" and can't get rid of them for anything. It would be hindsight, but if we end up 5-6 in the division and bow out in the first round, it may have been better to trade Kyle or Serge or Marc if the desperation return is blue chip-over whelming

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I'm not advocating to trade either of them but the fear is we hang on one season too long, we aren't "very very good" and can't get rid of them for anything. It would be hindsight, but if we end up 5-6 in the division and bow out in the first round, it may have been better to trade Kyle or Serge or Marc if the desperation return is blue chip-over whelming
              If the return is a blue chip prospect or likely lottery pick? Sure, let's have that conversation. I don't expect that to be the market for any of those guys (maybe Lowry). If you are adding late 1sts or 2nd rounders, at a certain point there is more value in at least attempting to stay as good as possible to bolster your eventual FA pitches.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• trade them because they have value and the raps will likely get something decent in return. i really dont see a point in keeping them; not win the title; and let them walk away without getting anything.

Comment

• UNLESS the raps can get VC and try to win the title for him, LOL! perhaps a return of vinsanity in the post-season? ahhaha i know this is stupid, but i would like to see VC back int he raptors playing (with or without serge, gasol, and/or lowry).

Comment

trade them because they have value and the raps will likely get something decent in return. i really dont see a point in keeping them; not win the title; and let them walk away without getting anything.
                    This group earned a chance to have a playoff run together this year as defending champs. I'd rather go out swinging, with dignity. If Kyle, Serge and Marc wanna stay, lets see how far we can go this playoffs. We're not gonna pack it in and let Kawhi and Danny have all the fun this spring.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

UNLESS the raps can get VC and try to win the title for him, LOL! perhaps a return of vinsanity in the post-season? ahhaha i know this is stupid, but i would like to see VC back int he raptors playing (with or without serge, gasol, and/or lowry).
                      Ship sailed a few years ago. Vince is on the ouskirts of the rotation on Atlanta. On this team? He slots somewhere between Matt Thomas and Malcolm Miller.

Cool that he's sticking around and going for these longevity records and shit...but he's just window dressing at this point
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Ship sailed a few years ago. Vince is on the ouskirts of the rotation on Atlanta. On this team? He slots somewhere between Matt Thomas and Malcolm Miller.

Cool that he's sticking around and going for these longevity records and shit...but he's just window dressing at this point
                        if he coems back to Toronto, we'll see Vinsanity again, lmao

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

This group earned a chance to have a playoff run together this year as defending champs. I'd rather go out swinging, with dignity. If Kyle, Serge and Marc wanna stay, lets see how far we can go this playoffs. We're not gonna pack it in and let Kawhi and Danny have all the fun this spring.
                          i'd rather we get in the position to make the playoffs prior to the deadline, trade these guys, and see if the young ones can still propel into the post season.

i really dont see a point in seeing how far we can get into the playoffs, as assets via trade would likely be better for our team;s future.

Comment

UNLESS the raps can get VC and try to win the title for him, LOL! perhaps a return of vinsanity in the post-season? ahhaha i know this is stupid, but i would like to see VC back int he raptors playing (with or without serge, gasol, and/or lowry).
                            Please stop....quitter-carter brings nothing but fake nostalgia at this point

Comment

i'd rather we get in the position to make the playoffs prior to the deadline, trade these guys, and see if the young ones can still propel into the post season.

i really dont see a point in seeing how far we can get into the playoffs, as assets via trade would likely be better for our team;s future.
                              Why not judge the young guys on what they can do with a good veteran supporting cast rather than leaving them to struggle on their own?

The point of seeing how far you can get in the playoffs... well, that's the entire point of every team in the league playing at all, right?

I can't say with confidence that sacrificing wins now for the sake of a couple late 1sts, let's say, would actually be all that beneficial for the future of the team, which seems like it might hinge on free agency for the first time in a while. If teams are lining up with blue chip prospects and lotto picks, yeah, it becomes more obvious. But the sort of assets a contender will be able to give up (and those are the teams likely to want to rent our vets)? Having extra late picks is fine, but not exactly franchise defining.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

trade them because they have value and the raps will likely get something decent in return. i really dont see a point in keeping them; not win the title; and let them walk away without getting anything.
                                Letting guys walk "for nothing" gives you cap-space which can also be valuable, even as a way to absorb other team's bad contracts to acquire prospects and picks... like the Nets taking that pirate dressing mofo, DeMarre Carroll's, contract off our hands and scooping up a 1st pick from Masai. Nets basically did an entire rebuild without any of their own picks, mostly by using cap-space effectively.

Comment

Working...
                                X