To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Why not judge the young guys on what they can do with a good veteran supporting cast rather than leaving them to struggle on their own?

The point of seeing how far you can get in the playoffs... well, that's the entire point of every team in the league playing at all, right?

I can't say with confidence that sacrificing wins now for the sake of a couple late 1sts, let's say, would actually be all that beneficial for the future of the team, which seems like it might hinge on free agency for the first time in a while. If teams are lining up with blue chip prospects and lotto picks, yeah, it becomes more obvious. But the sort of assets a contender will be able to give up (and those are the teams likely to want to rent our vets)? Having extra late picks is fine, but not exactly franchise defining.
    ya how far you can go but there's a limit..you gotta be realistic ...let's see how far the young guys can go without Lowry ..Ibaka..and gasol
    ..they got some their tutelage during the regular season and guys like siakam ..mccaw..etc have already been there ...let's be realsiric here...this team ain't gonna win it all with this team ....it's kinda why like keep this team when you know it's not gonna work like the defrozan formula ?

​​​

​​​trade the guys can get some decent returns which won't take that much cap space...I'm not referring to trading for guys who are getting paid millions
    ..Ibaka , gasol, and lowry is like 75 million right there..yes...that will be free regardless...why not get something realtivelt free in return (even 10 million is nothing compared to 75) and free up cap space that almost nets to 75 mm
    Last edited by whateverx2019; Tue Jan 7, 2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Teague and Dieng for Ibaka, McCaw and SJ

https://tradenba.com/trades/buNrty3kb

Adds real point guard depth/insurance and I think Dieng + Boucher off the bench would be terrifying. Before you assume Ibaka provides better spacing you need to realize Dieng is a better 3pt shooter than Ibaka despite being 20lbs heavier and 2 inches taller.

Also, Lowry + Teague would be an interesting look making VanVleet and Teague interchangeable as guards. Hell, you could even start Lowry with Powell and have Teague and VanVleet come off the bench and roast teams.

I don't know if all this would cost us a pick in the process but I think it's worth a phonecall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwOjHtjcl4&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhUtdgFAao
      Last edited by c-troop; Tue Jan 7, 2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• whateverx2019 wrote: View Post

ya how far you can go but there's a limit..you gotta be realistic ...let's see how far the young guys can go without Lowry ..Ibaka..and gasol
        ..they got some their tutelage during the regular season and guys like siakam ..mccaw..etc have already been there ...let's be realsiric here...this team ain't gonna win it all with this team ....it's kinda why like keep this team when you know it's not gonna work like the defrozan formula ?

​​​

​​​trade the guys can get some decent returns which won't take that much cap space...I'm not referring to trading for guys who are getting paid millions
        ..Ibaka , gasol, and lowry is like 75 million right there..yes...that will be free regardless...why not get something realtivelt free in return (even 10 million is nothing compared to 75) and free up cap space that almost nets to 75 mm
        Because 2020 cap space is pretty valueless? The entire organization has been pointed to summer 2021 since Kawhi left (and before, really, as that contingency has been built in for a while), why the heck would they bail on success now?

I'm curious how you are so confident the team can't have playoff success as-is. No team should be confident they will win a championship. And this team isn't a favourite to win it. But any team that has a real chance to be in the conference finals should be in a winning mindset. If this team shows that they are happy to pull the plug on any success if they aren't at the very top, what kind of message does that send to free agents they want to court? Please sign here, but don't unpack because if we get offered a late first round pick you are out the door even if we are a home court playoff team.

Now, that doesn't mean they can't make smaller moves to improve the long term plans. Ibaka is largely surplus to requirements at this point and is low key one of the weakest parts of the lineup when fully healthy, so trading him for an asset would just be smart. Gasol and Lowry are crucial to team success though.

If the team was not winning I would completely understand your position. But this team is very, very good, and already has a better star than DeRozan in Pascal to hang their hopes on in the playoffs. The ceiling for this team is definitively higher than the DeMar teams. It's not as high as last year, but last year they really should have been championship favourites from the get-go.

If the problem is that they don't have a Kawhi, well, yeah, but trading Lowry or Gasol isn't going to get you a top pick to go try to get a Kawhi anyway. Their current best path to a superstar (beyond hoping Pascal takes yet another leap, or praying some team decides to trade their star) is either via the draft or via free agency. To do it via the draft would require a total tear down (including getting rid of Pascal, he's too good) and could take ages, that's an incredibly risky strategy if you have better options (some teams don't). To do it via free agency their best bet is to make the team as good and visible in the playoffs as possible over the next two seasons (without of course sacrificing long term ability to recruit said free agent). Selling out on maximizing their chances in free agency for a couple late picks would be incredibly silly just to be able to say they "got something."
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I just want to go on record as saying I really really hope we don't trade for Andre Drummond.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            I just want to go on record as saying I really really hope we don't trade for Andre Drummond.
            We'd finally get the infamous T Ross draft target
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I just want to go on record as saying I really really hope we don't trade for Andre Drummond.
              Blake had surgery. This only increases the pressure on detroit to deal Dre. Don't think we really make sense as a destination id rather have gasol over drummond. And don't think he's coming off the bench in a contract year.
              Weird the hawks are connected as they already fucked up there chance to make the playoffs and Andre could just opt out, unless they plan on paying him a big deal this summer
              Dallas could be really interesting. He could just stick to rebounding and defense and let doncic and zinger take care of the offense.
              Celtics need a big but i dont know if they have any contracts they would be willing to trade for him. They would need to use hayward, smart to match $.
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• any interest in alec burks?

Comment

No one has explained how getting Drummond makes the 2019-2020 Raptors better. This rumor seems made up.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                    any interest in alec burks?
                    Whose minutes is he taking out of Lowry, FVV, Powell, McCaw and Davis?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

No one has explained how getting Drummond makes the 2019-2020 Raptors better. This rumor seems made up.
                      Ya reeks of Detriot leaking that masai is interested to increase offers from the middling teams who may actually want him

Comment

Whose minutes is he taking out of Lowry, FVV, Powell, McCaw and Davis?
                        McCaw and Davis, obviously. He's shredding this season. But I think him and Draymond are off to the lakeshow for Kuzma and pieces.

Lebron and co really aren't taking any chances it seems.

Comment

McCaw and Davis, obviously. He's shredding this season. But I think him and Draymond are off to the lakeshow for Kuzma and pieces.

Lebron and co really aren't taking any chances it seems.
                          He's playing 30 minutes throwing up more shots and more threes than he ever has to get 15 PPG on a last place team that no one plays defense against and he's still basically right on his career averages. You go back and look at his career and as soon as Utah got more talent his minutes went way down. At best, that's what he'd be in Toronto if he even saw the floor. I'd rather be throwing Davis and McCaw out there. Well, McCaw is questionable but I don't think Burks does anything they don't already have.

Comment

He's playing 30 minutes throwing up more shots and more threes than he ever has to get 15 PPG on a last place team that no one plays defense against and he's still basically right on his career averages. You go back and look at his career and as soon as Utah got more talent his minutes went way down. At best, that's what he'd be in Toronto if he even saw the floor. I'd rather be throwing Davis and McCaw out there. Well, McCaw is questionable but I don't think Burks does anything they don't already have.
                            yeah, you're right dude, the contracts don't even make sense.

I'd much rather go after Teague and Dieng for Ibaka and scraps.

wait actually, hold up, do you think Satoransky could be ripped from the bulls for the right combination of our end of the bench payers and garbage minute guys?
                            Last edited by c-troop; Tue Jan 7, 2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

yeah, you're right dude, the contracts don't even make sense.

I'd much rather go after Teague and Dieng for Ibaka and scraps.
                              Teague and Dieng are both garbage. Id take 1 game of Ibaka playoff heroics over anything those guys can give us.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Ya reeks of Detriot leaking that masai is interested to increase offers from the middling teams who may actually want him
                                I'd rather see what the Knicks would want for a Morris rental....

Comment

Working...
                                X