To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like none of these ideas.

I'm actually pretty happy with the players we have, and we should sell off some excess depth (Ibaka and Powell in particular) at the deadline. We won't always be this hurt. We'll need to backfill some OK depth pieces but that's not too difficult. I don't like these deals swapping our role players for other role players. Might as well just keep who we have in that case. Either go all out and upgrade our role players to star level players and pay the asset cost associated with that, or sell our excess (and overvalued relative to their contribution) depth pieces to downgrade and get draft assets out of it. I lean to the latter.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Teague and Dieng are both garbage. Id take 1 game of Ibaka playoff heroics over anything those guys can give us.
      Nah g Ibaka is actually not as good as your eyeballs think. If you break down his lineup stats he could be replaced tbh.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../2020/lineups/

look at all the lineups with Ibaka and tell me how great they are doing.

Teague is sick he is on a team with 2 of the NBA's biggest offensive black holes. He would make RHJ Davis and Boucher look like gods. we need a true bench PG or we are gonna get killed in the playoffs.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post

Nah g Ibaka is actually not as good as your eyeballs think. If you break down his lineup stats he could be replaced tbh.

Teague is sick he is on a team with 2 of the NBA's biggest offensive black holes. He would make RHJ Davis and Boucher look like gods. we need a true bench PG or we are gonna get killed in the playoffs.
        So... when rotations shrink in the playoffs, and teams rely less on their bench creators, playing their stars more minutes and with their benches to create offence... We will need a true bench PG?

Lowry and Pascal are our bench PGs, as it should be.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Do we tho? we played 7 guys most of last playoffs, remember when we thought Jeremy Lin was going to be our playoff backup point guard? You really only need 7 guys and a situational 8th guy for the playoffs.

Ill take one game like that over anything teague and dieng can do
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

So... when rotations shrink in the playoffs, and teams rely less on their bench creators, playing their stars more minutes and with their benches to create offence... We will need a true bench PG?

Lowry and Pascal are our bench PGs, as it should be.
            I disagree because our guys will be gassed if we are starting FVV and Lowry and Siakam, even when rotations shrink it won't be enough to maintain the fast play. Our best 3 man rotation is Davis, RHJ and Boucher. They are gonna need a facilitator IMO.

This team isn't built to win a championship right now. I could totally be wrong about the exact personnel needed to improve our roster but we need to do something or we are essentially treadmilling and waiting for a big fish in FA.

Comment

Do we tho? we played 7 guys most of last playoffs, remember when we thought Jeremy Lin was going to be our playoff backup point guard? You really only need 7 guys and a situational 8th guy for the playoffs.

Ill take one game like that over anything teague and dieng can do
              Lin and Teague live on 2 different planets brother. and we had Kawhi then. but yeah dude, last year was last year.

Comment

I disagree because our guys will be gassed if we are starting FVV and Lowry and Siakam, even when rotations shrink it won't be enough to maintain the fast play. Our best 3 man rotation is Davis, RHJ and Boucher. They are gonna need a facilitator IMO.

This team isn't built to win a championship right now. I could totally be wrong about the exact personnel needed to improve our roster but we need to do something or we are essentially treadmilling and waiting for a big fish in FA.
                If we are in a situation where we can't for the life of us figure out how to stagger two stars' minutes in the playoffs, Nick Nurse is not an NBA quality head coach. Somehow I think he clears that bar.

If we are treadmilling, we need to add a superstar. You can't get off a treadmill changing the supporting cast. Especially when your supporting cast is already very good.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lin and Teague live on 2 different planets brother. and we had Kawhi then. but yeah dude, last year was last year.
                  Kawhi hit "the shot" but we don't win game 7 without Ibaka. He dominated the Warriors. His playoff have been overshadowed by kawhi and Lowry but Ibaka was key to so many wins. We as raps fans gotta start putting some respect on his name.

Comment

If we are in a situation where we can't for the life of us figure out how to stagger two stars' minutes in the playoffs, Nick Nurse is not an NBA quality head coach. Somehow I think he clears that bar.

If we are treadmilling, we need to add a superstar. You can't get off a treadmill changing the supporting cast. Especially when your supporting cast is already very good.
                    You didn't exactly clarify or ascertain any of the valid points that I brought up. I don't think we have enough quality guard play especially since we like to start 2 PG's now that danny green is gone and nurse doesn't like starting Powell. McCaw can't facilitate at least not yet and neither can Powell.

If you can't reach the top shelf you are gonna need to get yourself a little stool to boost you, and thats what I think we need.

Comment

Kawhi hit "the shot" but we don't win game 7 without Ibaka. He dominated the Warriors. His playoff have been overshadowed by kawhi and Lowry but Ibaka was key to so many wins. We as raps fans gotta start putting some respect on his name.
                      Ibaka is a really good bench player. There is value in that. Just... not that much value.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And I wonder how many guys Boucher is gonna dunk on this postseason. Our best 3 man combotation wasn't even on our team last playoffs. Ibaka is sick but we are evolving and moving forward very quickly.

Comment

You didn't exactly clarify or ascertain any of the valid points that I brought up. I don't think we have enough quality guard play especially since we like to start 2 PG's now that danny green is gone and nurse doesn't like starting Powell. McCaw can't facilitate at least not yet and neither can Powell.

If you can't reach the top shelf you are gonna need to get yourself a little stool to boost you, and thats what I think we need.
                          We do not need more guard play. Lowry is awesome. FVV is very good. Davis can provide a boost off the bench. Norm is plenty good as a 4th guard, and frankly they can live without any real 4th guard in the playoffs so even if they trade him it wouldn't matter. Heck when Siakam is healthy there will be times we run OG as a guard.

As for facilitators, that's a different discussion than "guard." We are currently missing our 2nd and 3rd best facilitators, Siakam and Gasol. I agree without both those guys we lack facilitators. But without those guys we are screwed regardless.

If we were talking about trading for another all star to drive the offence this would make sense. Adding a Jeff Teague will not help this team.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Ibaka is a really good bench player. There is value in that. Just... not that much value.
                            Good bench player, heart of the locker room along with Lowry. Terrence davis has been raving about how Ibaka has taken him under his wing got him on a NBA diet etc. I just don't think theres many deals which bring us back something equal to what specific role Ibaka plays for us. We can play the 2 big look if we face the sixers. He has shown to step up in the biggest moments. I could be talked into trading him for a younger player on a good contract with some upside, but im just afraid we will regret it come april.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He's playing 30 minutes throwing up more shots and more threes than he ever has to get 15 PPG on a last place team that no one plays defense against and he's still basically right on his career averages. You go back and look at his career and as soon as Utah got more talent his minutes went way down. At best, that's what he'd be in Toronto if he even saw the floor. I'd rather be throwing Davis and McCaw out there. Well, McCaw is questionable but I don't think Burks does anything they don't already have.
                              Fred's playing 36 minutes and throwing up more shots and more threes than he ever has to get 18 PPG.

The easiest thing to do in the NBA is to give a guard an unconditional green light to inflate raw scoring numbers. I mean, Miami's letting a rookie (Kendrick Nunn) play 30 minutes and chuck 15 shots per game, and he's almost getting 16 PPG.

Difference is that Nunn and Burks are both making under $2M per year, while everybody around here seems to think that we should be happy paying FVV $20M/year.

So, I agree with you..... let's give Davis more minutes.
                              Last edited by golden; Tue Jan 7, 2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

And I wonder how many guys Boucher is gonna dunk on this postseason. Our best 3 man combotation wasn't even on our team last playoffs. Ibaka is sick but we are evolving and moving forward very quickly.
                                Boucher wont even play in the playoffs

Comment

Working...
                                X