To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Crazy trade idea. Utah Jazz are red-hot since Conley got injured allowing Donovan Mitchell to dominate the ball. The chemistry between Mitchell and Conley just isn't there, so Conley might be expendable. So, here's the trade:

To Jazz: Ibaka, Powell & McCaw
    To Raptors: Conley & Ed Davis

Jazz get athleticism & championship DNA players. Ibaka is a perfect complement to Gobert as a stretch 5 backup or stretch 4 in big lineup.

Raps can play Conley or VanVleet as the backup PG and would have the best PG rotation the league has ever seen (Nick Nurse permanent boner). Ed Davis provides solid rebounding, efficiency around the rim and a PnR partner for Lowry. Losing Ibaka would hurt though, not gonna lie. Jazz taking McCaw have to take McCaw - that's a non-negotiable.

Oh, and Conley already has instant chemistry with another guy on our roster.

It's a bold, crazy idea, which is exactly why I think Masai would do it. We tried to get Conley last year, btw, and his contract expires in 2021.
    OK. This is the exact formula I suggested by bringing in Teague and Dieng and you are using the exact trade fodder I suggested as well. Actually I'm mistaken, you're giving up Powell for this manoeuvre too?

Oof.I'm salty. Also, I don't think Utah would do it either. The funniest part is Teague is a former all-star and Conley has never been one. Conley is struggling on an excellent team while Teague is in NBA purgatory. I got zero response and just negativity and now you guys are clamouring over, Mike. Conley. It's not right, man. And the last thing I'm gunna say is Dieng is much better than Ed Davis. Ed can't even spread the floor or shoot 3's. It's not even funny how much better Dieng would be.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players

Comment

• Also here is a comparison between Mike Conley on the Utah Jazz vs Teague on the TWolves

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
        OK. This is the exact formula I suggested by bringing in Teague and Dieng and you are using the exact trade fodder I suggested as well. Actually I'm mistaken, you're giving up Powell for this manoeuvre too?

Oof.I'm salty. Also, I don't think Utah would do it either. The funniest part is Teague is a former all-star and Conley has never been one. Conley is struggling on an excellent team while Teague is in NBA purgatory. I got zero response and just negativity and now you guys are clamouring over, Mike. Conley. It's not right, man. And the last thing I'm gunna say is Dieng is much better than Ed Davis. Ed can't even spread the floor or shoot 3's. It's not even funny how much better Dieng would be.

Uhh, Conley is having a bad year and still rates slightly better than Teague in impact numbers. Teague is always this bad, there is no real hope he'd be of any value here. Conley could easily see a return to form and be incredibly valuable.

Dieng is pretty good. No argument there. But he's not starting C material, and will be tough to afford alongside Gasol next year, and upgrading bench C is not the most impactful move. Taking on salary next year is fine if there is significant upside to the deal. Conley provides that.

If we could convince the Wolves to give up Covington and Dieng together, now that's a deal I would pursue. Between the two of them that's a lot of quality depth. Even then I guess there has to be some hesitation to take on 2021 salary, and better to find a deal where Powell brings back value and not a similar 2021 cap hit.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• You guys are crazy. How does Conley help us with the ostensible goal of beating the Lakers or Clippers?

We are fine at guard, I'd much rather trade for talent on the wing.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Uhh, Conley is having a bad year and still rates slightly better than Teague in impact numbers. Teague is always this bad, there is no real hope he'd be of any value here. Conley could easily see a return to form and be incredibly valuable.

Dieng is pretty good. No argument there. But he's not starting C material, and will be tough to afford alongside Gasol next year, and upgrading bench C is not the most impactful move. Taking on salary next year is fine if there is significant upside to the deal. Conley provides that.

If we could convince the Wolves to give up Covington and Dieng together, now that's a deal I would pursue. Between the two of them that's a lot of quality depth. Even then I guess there has to be some hesitation to take on 2021 salary, and better to find a deal where Powell brings back value and not a similar 2021 cap hit.
            That's fair to say but your argument about Teague vs Conley makes you a less credible source of basketball info.

Those stats aren't even bad and Teague has had stellar years when his supporting cast is better. You're literally gushing over Conley and it's unwarranted.

Plus we'd lose Powell. Yeah, RoCo and Deng would be nice also. But I'm not looking past the fact you rank Conley so much higher than Teague; its simply fake news and the typical DanH bias. Even his WS's are lower like what stat are you seeing that ranks him so much higher, Teague's assists are even better.

I'm honestly more fascinated with what stats you value the most at this point more than anything its mystifying.

And if by him returning to form you mean Conley starts dropping 20's for us on a nightly basis...

Yeah ok, in what fantasy land is he getting 16 FGA's per game on this already loaded and hungry roster?

If you watch Conley play he gets buckets but is not a team player.
            Last edited by c-troop; Mon Jan 13, 2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Bro Teague sucks

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                Bro Teague sucks
                man he doesnt this forum is washed its like 10 dudes patting each other on the back its jokes

he dropped 32 on Utah last month

Last edited by c-troop; Mon Jan 13, 2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  You guys are crazy. How does Conley help us with the ostensible goal of beating the Lakers or Clippers?

We are fine at guard, I'd much rather trade for talent on the wing.
                  Sure, you'd want to grab a star wing player, but who's available? After the unprecedented player movement last off-season, there aren't any disgruntled wings who are impending free agents waiting to be scooped up. You have to be looking at bad fits on playoff teams, or good players on non-playoff teams.

The best wing out there seems to be RoCo, but he's a trick or treat shooter who got benched the last time he was in the playoffs. We'd be right back to the days of Patrick Patterson and DeMarre Carroll going ice-cold on wide-open 3's at precisely the wrong times.

I mean, if RoCo is the "grand prize" of the trading season, then I'd rather just stand pat.

And for the record, Scrap, I did say it was a "crazy idea". lol.
                  Last edited by golden; Mon Jan 13, 2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Sure, you'd want to grab a star wing player, but who's available? After the unprecedented player movement last off-season, there aren't any disgruntled wings who are impending free agents waiting to be scooped up. You have to be looking at bad fits on playoff teams, or good players on non-playoff teams.

The best wing out there seems to be RoCo, but he's a trick or treat shooter who got benched the last time he was in the playoffs. We'd be right back to the days of Patrick Patterson and DeMarre Carroll going ice-cold on wide-open 3's at precisely the wrong times.

I mean, if RoCo is the "grand prize" of the trading season, then I'd rather just stand pat.
                    But the green light is shining bright for Conley and Ed Davis, right? Get rid of Powell for Ed Davis right?

Golden I'm simply curious I cant compute this information

Comment

But the green light is shining bright for Conley and Ed Davis, right? Get rid of Powell for Ed Davis right?

Golden I'm simply curious I cant compute this information
                      Well sure... Powell doesn't have to be in the deal assuming Utah would actually accept SJ & filler. But they traded 2 FRPs to get Conley, so I doubt they'd be happy flipping Conley and only get back 3 months of Ibaka to show for it. At least Powell is a low-cost asset with upside on their roster for 3 more years.

So, if you trade Ibaka (which is the only way to match Conley's salary), we need to get a backup center back - which is why Ed Davis is in the deal.

Comment

Well sure... Powell doesn't have to be in the deal assuming Utah would actually accept SJ & filler. But they traded 2 FRPs to get Conley, so I doubt they'd be happy flipping Conley and only get back 3 months of Ibaka to show for it. At least Powell is a low-cost asset with upside on their roster for 3 more years.

So, if you trade Ibaka (which is the only way to match Conley's salary), we need to get a backup center back - which is why Ed Davis is in the deal.
                        Are you a Jazz fan?

Comment

Are you a Jazz fan?

Ok, you outted me. I'm a Jazz fan that has almost 13000 posts on an obscure Toronto Raptors board.

Stockton and Malone forever. Jerry Sloan GOAT coach.

Jeesh... c'mon man.

Comment

• mixxaor is the local jazz fan, his album covers during the playoffs were absolutely epic
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              mixxaor is the local jazz fan, his album covers during the playoffs were absolutely epic
                              lol. Damn, I missed the alley-oop on that punchline. Fortunately, KeonClark was there to clean up the O-board.

Comment

Ok, you outted me. I'm a Jazz fan that has almost 13000 posts on an obscure Toronto Raptors board.

Stockton and Malone forever. Jerry Sloan GOAT coach.

Jeesh... c'mon man.
                                I'm only joking, but I mean Powell is one of this team's most manageable contracts and he plays up to it 75% of the time.

I don't think Conley and Ed Davis is this team's answer especially if we are giving away so much.

And I'm slowly starting to like the idea of Dieng and RoCo more than I'd like to admit, considering they are both under contract next year.

Both at roughly 10 mill a season. Actually RoCo is tied up until 21-22. I wonder if the timberwolves would warm up to us.

Comment

Working...
                                X