To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Stand pat. With everyone healthy this is a .700 ball club brimming with deep playoff experience with a ready-made 7-man rotation. Find the right 8th & 9th man in house (which they sure have in the fold already, just need to play them), and they'll make ECF or finals again.
    I don't really disagree but they could just as easily flame out in the first or second round to any of 5 other teams and I think Masai knows this.I doubt a deal to put them over the top presents itself but believe that Masai does a minor deal for optics if nothing else.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't really disagree but they could just as easily flame out in the first or second round to any of 5 other teams and I think Masai knows this.I doubt a deal to put them over the top presents itself but believe that Masai does a minor deal for optics if nothing else.
      Yes, they could bounce on the first or second round because seeds 2 through 6 in the East this year are pretty much all at the same level, so if the Raps fall into one of those seeds, which is the more likely scenario, the degree of difficulty of the first round will be about the same as the second (unless they get the Bucks in the second round).

At the end of the day, even though there's no moral victories, to me there's a big difference between going down fighting in a competitive series defending the title despite losing the finals MVP vs. getting swept with blowouts. Worst case scenario this year to me looks to be the former. The kind of exit that would signal to future free agents that the team is just one high-end piece short of getting back to the finals.

So, personally I don't think Masai would tinker just for show. He doesn't strike me as a guy that would feel a need for that. He would value chemistry and continuity more than empty optics. My guess is he either stands pat, or make a relatively minor move to facilitate things in 2021.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=vsvfs72

Do u think minny would do this for R. Covington..plus 1st rd pick..or is that 2 much including first..maybe second..this team needs big wing player..defend Giannis or Simmods, boston wing player and so on...
        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
          http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=vsvfs72

Do u think minny would do this for R. Covington..plus 1st rd pick..or is that 2 much including first..maybe second..this team needs big wing player..defend Giannis or Simmods, boston wing player and so on...
          that's way too much. they should be sending us the first round pick. i mean we're already including three players and getting just one in return

Comment

• Why is everybody getting such a big boner for Covington? Nice player and always liked him. He's a long-armed defensive wing with a streaky 3-pt point. Sounds a lot like OG, no? Raps are flat-out loaded with defenders up and down the roster. Heck, even RHJ and Brissett bring similar defense of RoCo to the table. And when Covington's 3-pt shot goes cold for an entire playoff series... buyer's remorse will hit us hard. Dude will straight up brick wide open 3's for weeks at a time. And the one time he faced any playoff pressure, he crumbled.

Raptors are #2 in defensive rating.... our problem is offense (17th overall... yikes). If there's anything we need, it's a bench guard that can create his own shot when the offense sputters (which happens a lot). I've never been a huge fan of his, but a better fit would be a guy like Derrick Rose with a contrasting skill set we need, rather than getting into a bidding war for Robert freakin' Covington, who duplicates what we already have.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Why is everybody getting such a big boner for Covington? Nice player and always liked him. He's a long-armed defensive wing with a streaky 3-pt point. Sounds a lot like OG, no? Raps are flat-out loaded with defenders up and down the roster. Heck, even RHJ and Brissett bring similar defense of RoCo to the table. And when Covington's 3-pt shot goes cold for an entire playoff series... buyer's remorse will hit us hard. Dude will straight up brick wide open 3's for weeks at a time. And the one time he faced any playoff pressure, he crumbled.

Raptors are #2 in defensive rating.... our problem is offense (17th overall... yikes). If there's anything we need, it's a bench guard that can create his own shot when the offense sputters (which happens a lot). I've never been a huge fan of his, but a better fit would be a guy like Derrick Rose with a contrasting skill set we need, rather than getting into a bidding war for Robert freakin' Covington, who duplicates what we already have.
              Impact stats suggest that Covington is a way better defender than anyone on our team outside of Gasol and OG.

Obviously no one should be getting into a bidding war for Covington. The Raps should only be talking to the Wolves because the Wolves apparently want ball handlers, and if they strike out on bigger names, the Raps have a couple young pieces that have been rotation pieces in Norm and McCaw who they should be happy to show the door. Any trade suggestion with picks outgoing to the Wolves should be a non-starter.

OMG no thank you to Derrick Rose. Not only is he a scumbag but more importantly he's a truly terrible defender. In the playoffs we'll be running the bench offence through our stars anyway. Hard to be too critical of the offence when we've been down crucial offensive contributors literally all season. With everyone healthy we should be more like a borderline top 10 offensive team, and I wouldn't have any interest in weakening our defensive strength to improve on that.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Trade for Alexander-Walker. Kid is nice.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Impact stats suggest that Covington is a way better defender than anyone on our team outside of Gasol and OG.

Obviously no one should be getting into a bidding war for Covington. The Raps should only be talking to the Wolves because the Wolves apparently want ball handlers, and if they strike out on bigger names, the Raps have a couple young pieces that have been rotation pieces in Norm and McCaw who they should be happy to show the door. Any trade suggestion with picks outgoing to the Wolves should be a non-starter.

OMG no thank you to Derrick Rose. Not only is he a scumbag but more importantly he's a truly terrible defender. In the playoffs we'll be running the bench offence through our stars anyway. Hard to be too critical of the offence when we've been down crucial offensive contributors literally all season. With everyone healthy we should be more like a borderline top 10 offensive team, and I wouldn't have any interest in weakening our defensive strength to improve on that.
                  doo you not like Norm?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

doo you not like Norm?
                    Norm is not very good, and on top of that has a player option for 2021, which means when planning ahead, you either assume that he's really good and you want to keep him, in which case he opts out and has a big cap hold so it kills our FA plans if we keep him (or you let him walk), or you assume that he isn't very good, and he opts in in 2021, and you have a not very good player eating into your FA plans.

I LIKE Norm, but in terms of players who help the team win games he's pretty far down the list. Like, in the playoffs, if the guard rotation shrinks to 3 players, who is the third guard behind Lowry and FVV? Right now it's probably Norm, but the team is better if its Davis, and right now he's probably behind both Norm AND McCaw. Norm is fine as a depth option to help you through the regular season but if they can get value for him in a trade that's probably the way to go.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Norm is not very good, and on top of that has a player option for 2021, which means when planning ahead, you either assume that he's really good and you want to keep him, in which case he opts out and has a big cap hold so it kills our FA plans if we keep him (or you let him walk), or you assume that he isn't very good, and he opts in in 2021, and you have a not very good player eating into your FA plans.

I LIKE Norm, but in terms of players who help the team win games he's pretty far down the list. Like, in the playoffs, if the guard rotation shrinks to 3 players, who is the third guard behind Lowry and FVV? Right now it's probably Norm, but the team is better if its Davis, and right now he's probably behind both Norm AND McCaw. Norm is fine as a depth option to help you through the regular season but if they can get value for him in a trade that's probably the way to go.
                      i see so you are trying to get him off the books... I mean he has played much better as of late

Comment

• the issue is I think if you promote davis you change his development course.. and I think the eventual idea is to turn him into the third guard I agree.. him being gone makes it easier to look for free agents

Comment

i see so you are trying to get him off the books... I mean he has played much better as of late
                          He has shot much better as of late. Still doesn't help the team much on either end outside of when he's hitting shots.

To clarify, I think most people's perception of him is the same as yours - that he's been playing much better. But that's also why I want to trade him now - not just to get him off the books but because we might be able to do so and also get something of value for him.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

the issue is I think if you promote davis you change his development course.. and I think the eventual idea is to turn him into the third guard I agree.. him being gone makes it easier to look for free agents
                            At this point Davis' development would be most helped by letting him play more. He can still get his chances handling the ball if that's what you want, heck half of Nurse's reasoning for starting McCaw was to get Lowry and FVV off the ball more (which sentiment I like and specific application I hate). Or he can stay off ball too in lineups with Lowry or Siakam creating the offence (which in the playoffs should be literally all lineups, but we have a while to go before that's required).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I kinda want Drummond. Can we teach him to shoot free throws?

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                                I kinda want Drummond. Can we teach him to shoot free throws?
                                Gasol is better than Drummond.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X