To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    I just think Masai and his crew have come up with some unexpected (who predicted the Gasol trade) move that will improve the team by eliminating a weakness. Rebounding seems to me to be the area that needs the most improvement. I don't know enough about the available players and the possible mechanics of the trade rules to even speculate. But rebounding, particularly giving up offensive rebounds, seems an area of weakness that needs to be addressed.
    The other issue here is that by sticking with Gasol (as I think we all agree we should) that it makes it hard to bring in someone that gets those boards with the rest of the team. Can't really be a C with Gasol, probably more looking at a SF that gets boards like Kawhi was doing. I suppose you could potentially look at a stronger rebounding PF and move Siakam to SF. That likely means you're putting Ibaka on the table, you'd want to get a pretty decent rebounder to make up for the defensive plays we get from Ibaka along with the games where he can put up 15-20 and is like our only PnR.

I agree we need more rebounding power however I don't see how we do it with trades. Is it maybe looking at RHJ as a starter over OG given the other 4 starters can all hit a 3 for spacing and have him put more attention on his defensive rebounds like he's able to do with his offensive second chance boards?

Comment

• I'm still believing in my fake Capela/Tucker for Ibaka/filler/pick trade.

Helps save Houston money, but still get a guy that their stars would love to play with again. We get two guys who can play defense and grab boards. One who just recently played with us.

Comment

• What if Masai surprises everyone and instead of trading for one player maybe he trades for two? Similar to the Ibaka and Tucker year. If he really wants to make another run I wonder if OG might be made available in trades? His offense has been pretty unreliable this season with one good game then he's MIA on that end. Still really early but wonder if he's going to have a MKG type of career? Just to clarify I still think OG has a lot of potential worth holding onto, but if he can get you a piece to make another deep playoff run with then does Masai go for it?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          What if Masai surprises everyone and instead of trading for one player maybe he trades for two? Similar to the Ibaka and Tucker year. If he really wants to make another run I wonder if OG might be made available in trades? His offense has been pretty unreliable this season with one good game then he's MIA on that end. Still really early but wonder if he's going to have a MKG type of career? Just to clarify I still think OG has a lot of potential worth holding onto, but if he can get you a piece to make another deep playoff run with then does Masai go for it?
          Are you thinking like a Ross for Ibaka type of trade but using OG instead? The issue is OG makes next to nothing since he's on rookie scale contract. In order to make any kind of tangible trade you need to add contracts. It would be an OG+Norm or OG+Serge type of trade and then you are hoping to get more of a star back then a good role player.

Ross signed a new contract with us and so was an easier contract to trade.. and that's how we were able to get Serge. Tucker's contract was pretty cheap so it only cost us 2 second rounders (and Jared Sulinger's expiring).

OG is not untradeable but because he doesn't make much, he'd be a prime asset to add to get a star type of player. There just aren't many stars asking to be traded like last year.

Comment

What if Masai surprises everyone and instead of trading for one player maybe he trades for two? Similar to the Ibaka and Tucker year. If he really wants to make another run I wonder if OG might be made available in trades? His offense has been pretty unreliable this season with one good game then he's MIA on that end. Still really early but wonder if he's going to have a MKG type of career? Just to clarify I still think OG has a lot of potential worth holding onto, but if he can get you a piece to make another deep playoff run with then does Masai go for it?
            I'm open to trading OG for a bonafide star, and not even remotely open to trading OG for anything else.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Are you thinking like a Ross for Ibaka type of trade but using OG instead? The issue is OG makes next to nothing since he's on rookie scale contract. In order to make any kind of tangible trade you need to add contracts. It would be an OG+Norm or OG+Serge type of trade and then you are hoping to get more of a star back then a good role player.

Ross signed a new contract with us and so was an easier contract to trade.. and that's how we were able to get Serge. Tucker's contract was pretty cheap so it only cost us 2 second rounders (and Jared Sulinger's expiring).

OG is not untradeable but because he doesn't make much, he'd be a prime asset to add to get a star type of player. There just aren't many stars asking to be traded like last year.
              Yeah, Norm is pretty clearly this year's Ross, in terms of a tradeable mid-level salary if they need to salary match (Ibaka helps too but he's not the young piece with a little term that Ross was). Which says a lot about how well he's been playing.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Definitely, not for Ross. I'd much rather have OG between those two, but keep in mind the Spurs really wanted OG in that trade for Kawhi so he's a player teams covet. Prozingis hasn't fit in particularly well in Dallas and they will need better defenders around Luka moving forward. Maybe if they think they can take the LA teams this year they would be interested in Marc and OG?

Comment

Definitely, not for Ross. I'd much rather have OG between those two, but keep in mind the Spurs really wanted OG in that trade for Kawhi so he's a player teams covet. Prozingis hasn't fit in particularly well in Dallas and they will need better defenders around Luka moving forward. Maybe if they think they can take the LA teams this year they would be interested in Marc and OG?
                  I wasn't talking about trading for Ross.. just used him as an example of what we gave up to get Serge. OG just doesn't make as much as Ross used to, which is why using him as a trade chip is difficult.

Porzingis signed an extension.. like Siakam did. I don't think he can be traded this year. But yeah if he was available, I'd make that deal.

Comment

• Buddy Heild....no thanks, bad money, plays like Demar with 3pt, No D..Terrence Ross..lol..just stop,plz..
                    Raptors need complimentary players..ie..jae crowder, Aaron baynes, R. Covington..big wing,defensive center..rebounding is critical.
                    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• I'm pretty darn happy to stand pat.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        I'm pretty darn happy to stand pat.
                        McCaw, Stanley, Boucher, Davis, Hollins, Thomas, Hernandez.. that's ure bench..u trust these players in playoffs...u definetely can't trust these guys..u need couple vet players who been playoffs..

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          I'm pretty darn happy to stand pat.
                          I like our team but let's be real here, without Kawhi we don't get past Philly much less Milwaukee last year. Well that is pretty much the team we are going into this years playoffs with. I don't like the idea of not putting up a fight to defend the championship, but I'm also speculating this might be the best opportunity to set up the team for the future. What to do?

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post

McCaw, Stanley, Boucher, Davis, Hollins, Thomas, Hernandez.. that's ure bench..u trust these players in playoffs...u definetely can't trust these guys..u need couple vet players who been playoffs..
                            But none of those guys are going to get minutes. it will be a 7 man rotation with maybe an occasional 8th man. Either RHJ or Davis with maybe Thomas as a situational shooter.
                            If your doing an upgrade trade its to improve at Ibaka and Norms position. And if were being real Ibaka is probably the best back up center in the NBA, his only close competitor is Baynes.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

But none of those guys are going to get minutes. it will be a 7 man rotation with maybe an occasional 8th man. Either RHJ or Davis with maybe Thomas as a situational shooter.
                              If your doing an upgrade trade its to improve at Ibaka and Norms position. And if were being real Ibaka is probably the best back up center in the NBA, his only close competitor is Baynes.
                              It pains me to say but Nurse will have McCaw as the 8th man. Davis, RHJ and Boucher will get minutes if there's injury our foul trouble on the guard, wing and centre position, respectively.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I disagree..u gonna need couple more guys..especially in playoffs...maybe there gonna struggle..through in a vet guy getted going..10..15..mins.

Comment

Working...
                                X