No announcement yet.

To trade or not to trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was a lot of followup news on the four-team deal, which appears to be, in its final form:

to Houston: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, 2nd-rounder from Minnesota
    to Atlanta: Clint Capela, Nene
    to Minnesota: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Jarred Vanderbilt, Brooklyn's 2020 first
    to Denver: Noah Vonleh, Gerald Green, Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier, Houston's 2021 first (which is being pickswapped with OKC)

I like this trade for Houston; they get Covington, who'll be great for them, and a decent bench forward in Bell. They don't have any true bigs now, but they've still got a first-rounder they can trade for a decent rim protector, which is all they really need their bigs to do, and between that and the buyout market they should be able to find what they need. Minnesota did... okay, I guess. Malik Beasley and a first-rounder is reasonable return for Covington. Vanderbilt is a warm body, Hernangomez is kind of done and Evan Turner is, well, Evan Turner. Denver offloaded Beasley (who they aren't paying next year) for a first-rounder, Noah Vonleh (who is a good rotation player who can replace Beasley) and a bunch of salary they'll probably just waive. Atlanta wanted Capela and I guess they got him.

Comment

• I don’t get it for Houston? They gave up both Capela and a 1st for Covington, Bell and a 2nd? How is Tucker going to survive playing full-time centre, especially if they go up against, say, the Lakers in the playoffs?

I do like it for Atlanta. They gave up a mid-round 1st and can try and build around a frontcourt of Collins and Capela.

Both Minnesota and Denver get a 1st and shuffle around depth pieces. Seems okay for them
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
        I don’t get it for Houston? They gave up both Capela and a 1st for Covington, Bell and a 2nd? How is Tucker going to survive playing full-time centre, especially if they go up against, say, the Lakers in the playoffs?

I do like it for Atlanta. They gave up a mid-round 1st and can try and build around a frontcourt of Collins and Capela.

Both Minnesota and Denver get a 1st and shuffle around depth pieces. Seems okay for them
        like i was saying earlier, houston believes just about any screen and dive man can produce as many 'wins' as clint capela catching lobs from james harden, so they replaced him with jordan bell and picked up a 3 and D wing who better fits their system. both capela and jordan bell have gotten played off the floor in the playoffs anyways, so why not?

it might be risky this year as the big western power is not the warriors, but i get why they did it. covington is pretty good, while just capela put up big numbers in an environment that made nene look good.

i don't get it from minny's perspective. they are trying to amass assets to attach to wiggins to send to golden state for russell... i don't think they got enough.

Comment

• They have 12M in Cap relief to go get a big before the deadline, I'm sure there's someone looking to get out of the tax. They'll have a big before Thurs.

Tristan Thompson would be the best option for them but he looks out of reach for salary matching. They'll probably end up with Deadmon or similar

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            They have 12M in Cap relief to go get a big before the deadline, I'm sure there's someone looking to get out of the tax. They'll have a big before Thurs.

Tristan Thompson would be the best option for them but he looks out of reach for salary matching. They'll probably end up with Deadmon or similar
            No, what they did was they ducked the tax.. they are still over the cap. They were $7M above the tax before the trade. Now they are under the tax, but still over the cap. They're largest TPE is $3.6M.

They can't really get another center unless they are willing to trade Tucker, House, etc.. or get a cheap one.

But they do have Hartenstein and he put up big numbers when given a chance. They'll be fine.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
              There was a lot of followup news on the four-team deal, which appears to be, in its final form:

to Houston: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, 2nd-rounder from Minnesota
              to Atlanta: Clint Capela, Nene
              to Minnesota: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Jarred Vanderbilt, Brooklyn's 2020 first
              to Denver: Noah Vonleh, Gerald Green, Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier, Houston's 2021 first (which is being pickswapped with OKC)

I like this trade for Houston; they get Covington, who'll be great for them, and a decent bench forward in Bell. They don't have any true bigs now, but they've still got a first-rounder they can trade for a decent rim protector, which is all they really need their bigs to do, and between that and the buyout market they should be able to find what they need. Minnesota did... okay, I guess. Malik Beasley and a first-rounder is reasonable return for Covington. Vanderbilt is a warm body, Hernangomez is kind of done and Evan Turner is, well, Evan Turner. Denver offloaded Beasley (who they aren't paying next year) for a first-rounder, Noah Vonleh (who is a good rotation player who can replace Beasley) and a bunch of salary they'll probably just waive. Atlanta wanted Capela and I guess they got him.
              Houston can't trade their 2020 pick if the 2021 pick was sent to Denver. Can't be out two picks in a row.

Comment

• FWIW, this means Covington won’t go to philly and capella won’t go to Boston. I wonder if they’ll make some reactionary moves

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  FWIW, this means Covington won’t go to philly and capella won’t go to Boston. I wonder if they’ll make some reactionary moves
                  I like that.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

No, what they did was they ducked the tax.. they are still over the cap. They were $7M above the tax before the trade. Now they are under the tax, but still over the cap. They're largest TPE is $3.6M.

They can't really get another center unless they are willing to trade Tucker, House, etc.. or get a cheap one.

But they do have Hartenstein and he put up big numbers when given a chance. They'll be fine.
                    Adrian Wojnarowski: The trade leaves the Rockets with a brief window until Thursday’s trade deadline to expand this four-team trade to include up to $12M in salary on another player. They could add a player who helps now, take on a player for assets and use those to further upgrade the team, etc.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Actually nvm not going to have to wait that long. Like this for Atl and Denver. Feel like Houston is going to be really regret not having a Center if they get Denver or Lakers in playoffs
                      Daryl Morey doing sh*t just to be relevant. He's basically a rich man's Bryan Colangelo. Looks like a desperation move to me and admission that he got smoked in the Russ-CP3 deal.

Comment

• I'm just impressed with how Morey manages to move assets around to make these trades every season.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

like i was saying earlier, houston believes just about any screen and dive man can produce as many 'wins' as clint capela catching lobs from james harden, so they replaced him with jordan bell and picked up a 3 and D wing who better fits their system. both capela and jordan bell have gotten played off the floor in the playoffs anyways, so why not?

it might be risky this year as the big western power is not the warriors, but i get why they did it. covington is pretty good, while just capela put up big numbers in an environment that made nene look good.

i don't get it from minny's perspective. they are trying to amass assets to attach to wiggins to send to golden state for russell... i don't think they got enough.
                          Yep, and all you have to do is look at how marginalized Capela was in the offense this season and how much faster they are with him off the floor. Rockets are not a pick and roll team anymore, so the need for a guy like Capela isn't there. They are going to run out, space the floor, fire away and if you don't really, really hurt them inside, you'll be down by 20, so a few more offensive rebounds, etc. won't hurt that much anyway. Plus, they'll pick up some other big who can set screens and dunk and that's all they want. And now you have Tucker and Covington to match up defensively with all the great perimeter guys out west.

I like it from ATL's perspective. Capela gives them a veteran and a pro who can come in and help right away and he's not terribly expensive, so it doesn't preclude them from making other moves this offseason.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Daryl Morey doing sh*t just to be relevant. He's basically a rich man's Bryan Colangelo. Looks like a desperation move to me and admission that he got smoked in the Russ-CP3 deal.
                            Nah, it makes sense if you view the game how he does. Plus, D'Antoni finally unlocked the Westbrook cheat code about 2 weeks ago. As much as I'll be hoping Utah beats them in the first round, I'd put my money on a LAL-HOU second round matchup.

Comment

• Some much movement it's hard to see what teams really gave up. But did Atlanta really just get capela for evan turner and like the 15-18 pick in the draft?
                              Thats a steal hawks did the best here
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Nah, it makes sense if you view the game how he does. Plus, D'Antoni finally unlocked the Westbrook cheat code about 2 weeks ago. As much as I'll be hoping Utah beats them in the first round, I'd put my money on a LAL-HOU second round matchup.
                                Sure, anybody in the West can make it to the second round. That's a pretty safe bet. As far a "cheat code", let's see how that gimmick holds up in long 6-7 game playoff series.

Comment

Working...
                                X