The GF theory to Drafting at 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GF theory to Drafting at 20

I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors. I am not the best writer (math major).
    So here is how i take a look at drafting players especially at that level (20th pick). Lets see you see this girl on campus in first year and you talk to her and she happens to be a really good catch and you know that if you just get a chance to ask her out you guys would make the perfect pairing. Well not being a douche (real man) you wait and you wait... but she never seems to be single for longer than a day or two (like Tyler Ennis) for you to get a chance to truly ask her out for coffee.

So now what do you do? Well lets say you go to a school that has a lot of cute girls. These girls are decent but you know that truly none have the potential to be as good as the other girl. The marginal utility they will bring you will be at max (7/10) but it will never get better. In your mind you are content but you are always looking at what could have been. Then you see this new girl walk by and she is really really fine and you take a look. Upon closer inspection and after getting to know her you realize that she has the potential to be just as good as the original girl or better but she has less dating experience than the others. Meaning maturity wise you may have to be a bit more patient than you would with others. If you take the chance on her though, it could work out and the max utility level that this girl could yield you on your life could be (9/10-10/10).

So who do you pick the band-aid but decent solutions or do you go for broke for the girl who could potentially be way better for you in the long run even though you have to put some more work in by waiting a bit for her while you date her and she matures?

I am curious what other people think. I, personally, am of the mindset that you always go for the one who could potentially give you the biggest yield or upside or whatever. Even if it takes longer. At the end of the day its a gambling thing and with the draft at the 20th level your not going to pick up someone as good as the top people with regards to immediate skill so you may as well swing for the fences.

I admit I laughed out loud and was stunned when the pick came out last night. The kid (Bruno) is 18 years old, 6ft9 with a 7ft6.75 wing span and he is only going to grow. He is going to spend the summer working out with the team. We have a team that is already in the playoffs so the kid will have to fight to make an impact in his first year, but bottom line he will be given a chance. Apparently he wants to learn and wants to get better. He has the time to do it. I say people should reserve judgement until we see more of this guy. He could be the next Peja for all we know. Masai didn't "throw away" a pick he made a judgement call and is standing by it.

At the end of the day we aren't trying to build a team that can make it to playoffs or make it into the 2nd round or the conference championship. We are building a championship contending team. Some of these things take time. We have a team that will be making the playoffs and giving our young core of players good experience that is needed to move forward in the future. We have the time to build from within and build strongly so yeah you have to without a sliver of doubt take someone with the best potential given where we are.

It shows Masai doesn't want to move back and tank just to try to have a chance to get someone good. It means that we move forward and get better with the people we have and we win. By winning we can later attract free agents and do so with out having to trade or draft. I think what we are trying to do is follow a Spurs model not by drafting europeans but by building a winning strong team family culture and letting the rest take care of itself. This is a pick that wasn't made so we can stash some guy for a year or two but rather it was made to get an impact guy who could potentially be really really good some day (possibly sooner than we think).

Lastly, quit complaining that there wasn't enough scouting on the guy. That is a good thing. Besides we did scout him apparently 3 times plus one with coach casey recently. Spurs scouted him as well enough said. If we let all our potential moves out then people will copy us or take what we have if they have the chance. Ujiri scouted Giannis apparently and it got out and he wasn't able to draft him. He learned from his mistake. As for Wiggins... he will come home no doubt about it just may take some time.

I'm not sure what the gf aspect adds beyond the obvious exact same comparison using basketball players lol, But yes, I'm hoping this pick works out.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

the point is with a girl you go for the one that you think has the best potential.... why not the same with everything else.. always swing for the fences

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        the point is with a girl you go for the one that you think has the best potential.... why not the same with everything else.. always swing for the fences
        Where's ScarJo when I need her lol, but seriously, it's because the danger is he totally sucks.

I'm optimistic but it's not like, you put some work in and he's guaranteed to be good right?

Plus it's like, well if you blow this shot, it might seriously affect how the team pans out, and our next shot to be as good as we could have been might be 5 years down the road. Now I'd imagine that's not the case, but that's the idea. The NBA is a competition and you have to be the best, and sometimes one mistake can be the difference between being the best and being average.
        Last edited by stooley; Fri Jun 27, 2014, 09:17 PM.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I think a more apt analogy is this:

You are at a school where you're a decent catch, but you don't stand out. You are getting passed over for flashy guys and football players. You have a chance to date some 7s, some quality relationship material but no lingerie models or anything.

But you went online and you saw this really hot supermodel on RussianBrides.com. You're not stupid, so you decided to skype her a few times. You got your dad to interview her. She's got incredibly long legs. She seems really sweet.

So you think, what the hell, I've got nothing to lose, I'll bring her over and see if she works.

Now, she could either be the most amazing woman you've ever met. She could completely change your life.

Or she could be a lazy chain-smoking mooch. Or completely nuts. Or a dude.

There's really no way to be sure. But you go for it, because what's the worst thing that could happen? You could have a frustrating couple of years before the divorce, but at least it'll be interesting.

Comment

Lol in your original analogy, if the girl is so immature sounds like she's too young. So maybe it's like: do you choose the less hot, 21 year old girls who will be the same as the girls you've been dating forever. Or do you date the 16 year old who you know will be super hot (she already has a sexy ass and double d's at 16!) but you feel so wrong about it. And your friends won't let you hear the end of it.
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

21 and hot.... just never had a boyfriend for the record...so you could imagine what thats like...dont need to explain all the details cause i want to keep it to raptors but ...basically (same with basketball) sometimes prospects go unnoticed and its not the worst thing.... and its just like any other prospect at that level... but you see the potential more....

Comment

That was really not worth the effort to write man.

I feel you cause I'm a hard science major too and I'm sure that shit took you forever to write lol

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  21 and hot.... just never had a boyfriend for the record...so you could imagine what thats like...dont need to explain all the details cause i want to keep it to raptors but ...basically (same with basketball) sometimes prospects go unnoticed and its not the worst thing.... and its just like any other prospect at that level... but you see the potential more....
                  Lol if she's same age as the other chicks and still hot I'd pick her no questions asked without hesitation. The absolute LAST thing I think about is her relationship history. I don't give a f how many dudes she's been with.

Like at all. In fact, the less dudes the better.
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

like i think it applies its 21 vs 24 year old.... for the record ...

in a basketball sense thats a huge gap in terms of how developed someone should be IQ wise and skill wise.... so think about it... similar with this Bruno guy... he's 18 vs most of the seniors are 22-23 in some cases older..... you always take the project if you have the time and patience to especially if the physical attributes are there its worth it be causes you can't develop height ... its something and body... its something you have or don't.

Thanks for no one really ripping this post apart .

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                      That was really not worth the effort to write man.

I feel you cause I'm a hard science major too and I'm sure that shit took you forever to write lol
                      nah it took me maybe 10 minutes max... while you tubing but i just don't put in a lot of effort anymore

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                        Lol in your original analogy, if the girl is so immature sounds like she's too young. So maybe it's like: do you choose the less hot, 21 year old girls who will be the same as the girls you've been dating forever. Or do you date the 16 year old who you know will be super hot (she already has a sexy ass and double d's at 16!) but you feel so wrong about it. And your friends won't let you hear the end of it.
                        Oof rr dating advice. This thread has taken a weird turn

And honestly dude, that 16 year old thing is just weird. Like what...it's just weird man, I would just go with the 21 year old girl. Would you really want to be that guy that is dating a 16 year old at 21 haha it's weird man trust
                        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                          Oof rr dating advice. This thread has taken a weird turn

And honestly dude, that 16 year old thing is just weird. Like what...it's just weird man, I would just go with the 21 year old girl. Would you really want to be that guy that is dating a 16 year old at 21 haha it's weird man trust
                          Personally, no. That just seems like a better analogy to me, there has to be some deterrent to dating the other chick.

Because, as I said before, her dating history is the last thing on my mind when I'm deciding whether or not to date her.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                            Personally, no. That just seems like a better analogy to me, there has to be some deterrent to dating the other chick.

Because, as I said before, her dating history is the last thing on my mind when I'm deciding whether or not to date her.
                            But what if she's been with like every dude possible. That's gotta be on your mind.

Which ties back into bruno, what if every team was into him? That would change a lot of people's minds about him.
                            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

The key factor in successful dating is not getting the date but KEEPING THE DATE/girl
                              In fact, there is no such thing as girl with the best potential, its whether the girl is lazy or not. Same goes with appearance. There is no such thing as ugly girl, only lazy ones exist (not literally but you get the idea)

Now, Raptors/Masai worked hard to draft Bruno (and risked a lot), and Raptors must keep working hard on him. How Raptors develop Bruno will serve a significant factor on whether Raptors pick turns out to be a great one.
                              I sincerely hope Salmons will be gone so coach Casey won't play him over Bruno
                              Last edited by Triplethreat89; Sat Jun 28, 2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X