Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I'd contact him about an assistant coach position, or some other suit role where he could impact the team. Might be cheaper than offering a players contract, plus we would still have that roster spot. I like Billups.

And he used to be a Raptor...albeit for a cuppa coffee.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
      It's obviously a pattern with this guy.

Casey doesn't suffer fools though, unless Bryan Colangelo forces him to play them (Rudy, Bargnani). He is definitely the type of coach that would rather play a bad player that buys into team culture/game plan than a more talented played with a shit attitude.
      Took the words out of my mouth.

Casey is hard headed. (not to the extent some whine) This would be an area to put it to use. Obtusely stick to principal and staple gun his shorts to the bench.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
        Took the words out of my mouth.

Casey is hard headed. (not to the extent some whine) This would be an area to put it to use. Obtusely stick to principal and staple gun his shorts to the bench.
        Hey man, I consider it his greatest strength and weakness. He forces guys to earn minutes. In the long-run, I think it's better for the players and their development. Last year's team overachieved last year because of the culture of professionalism and discipline he instilled. And who knows how many bad habits guys like Ross or Val would have if they were on a more lax team?

I'd rather have 12 guys on my team busting their ass with one sourpuss glued to the bench, than reward a single asshole and have the rest of the team feel like they can get away with being that extra bit lazier. Unless that asshole is Lebron James or Blake Griffin or something.

It's a double-edged sword.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
          Such positive comments. I'm excited
          1 of the great fan posts from that site:

July 10, 2014
          9:59 a.m.
          MCSTHOMASPAINE writes:

Raptor fans who will check out this thread to learn something about JJ, know this : You are getting an energetic game changer. At times he can be erratic and word is he gives coaches fits. But, if he played like he did in Memphis he will quickly become a fan favorite.

A great shot blocker and will take the ball to the hole regardless of who is in his way.

When Toronto comes to Memphis and he checks in, the crowd will erupt. Yet, he played here for only less than half a season and much of that time he rode the bench because he was in the coach's doghouse. The fan base loved him.

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
            Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes have direct experience with him too from their time in Sac-Town.
            so basically MU had half the roster & coach to consult with. and JJ already has chemistry with half the roster. clearly all things have checked out. could there be a better fit for cost? I don't think so!

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              And he used to be a Raptor...albeit for a cuppa coffee.
              Retire his jersey!
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                Retire his jersey!
                MU bring him home

Comment

• I love this signing. He's the kind of large back-up wing defender we desperately need.
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Oh JJ was in the doghouse in Memphis too? Well then.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                      I love this signing. He's the kind of large back-up wing defender we desperately need.
                      he's the hero Toronto*deserves, but not the one it*needs*right now

Comment

• All I remember from JJ was that he used to cheat on defense so he'd get good defensive stats but he was never actually a good defender.

Let's hope that's changed.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                          All I remember from JJ was that he used to cheat on defense so he'd get good defensive stats but he was never actually a good defender.

Let's hope that's changed.
                          He's replacing Salmons and Fields. As long as he bounces the ball with one hand its a big upgrade.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            He's replacing Salmons and Fields. As long as he bounces the ball with one hand its a big upgrade.
                            Touche

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

...Luckily just 2 years.

#Bruno2016
                              I am sure it is not "luckily" but intentionally
                              Last edited by Puffer; Thu Jul 10, 2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• I've been trying to get excited about this signing but failing all day.

James Johnson can potentially bring exactly what the team needs on D from their reserve wing....

He doesn't shoot 3s. He has been a difficult presence everywhere he's been by clashing with coaches.

There are guys who play good D while shooting the 3 and/or being good locker room guys or even leaders.

The pickings weren't great in free agency....but I still just feel "meh" about bringing JJ back. Lets hope his head is screwed on right, and also it would be nice if he got up 2000 3pters a day this offseason or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X