What an ugly team. LOL against something like

Lebron
    AD
    Leonard
    Doncic
    Harden

Forwards: George, Jokic, Towns
    Guards: Mitchell, CP3
    Others: Ingram/Westbrook/Gobert (I think Gobert should be there)

Their team slaughters the east. The west reserve 5 is as good as the east starting 5 lol
    Yeah I think this is why Silver did the whole captain thing. Which is also stupid. I never watch the game anyway.. I just want Lowry to get in so that he has a greater chance of becoming a hall of famer.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah I think this is why Silver did the whole captain thing. Which is also stupid. I never watch the game anyway.. I just want Lowry to get in so that he has a greater chance of becoming a hall of famer.
      I want Lowry to miss it so he both gets pizzed off and remains fresh(er) for the post season. I really couldn't care less who enters the HoF or earns individual awards.

Comment

Sort of a weird year for all-stars. And it's really too bad that Butler is considered a forward and not a guard otherwise he should definitely start.

My guess for starters will be: Giannis, Embiid, Siakam, Kemba and Trae.

Trae is on a bad team but getting a lot of early fan votes. Kyrie would get the fan vote but hasn't played enough games to warrant a selection so I don't think the media or the players will get him in.

Then for reserves I'd go with:

Forwards: Butler, Adebayo, Sabonis
        Guards: Lowry, Middleton
        Others: Brown, Dinwiddie

I prefer players from winning teams.. and I think the Bucks, Celtics, Raptors and Heat deserve at least 2 players. Felt like Dinwiddie was the most consistent Nets player in the first half. And you could go Tatum over Brown, but I think Brown is having the better year.

Don't think Trae should get in, but he'll get the votes probably. If I had my say I'd take Vucevic or Lavine before Trae.
        i agree with all of this except for the last part. trae is definitely an all star even though he is an awful defensive player and his team sucks. the alternative line of thinking is how you end up with NBA ALL STARS kyle korver and jeff teague.

which, years later, can generate discussion on fan message boards of trading key pieces of championship defending teams for washed up 'all stars'.

Comment

The captain thing would be awesome if they actually harnessed its power like the NHL did in year 1. The first year for nba they didnt even advertise the order of picks at all, just tweeted out the end result, which defeats the ENTIRE purpose. Last year, they had lebron and giannis split screened on some talking head show making their picks.

Here's what they need to do. They need to put in on the friday of the all star weekend and some nice establishment. All the all stars need to be there, mic'd up, for the "draft". There needs to be alcohol available to them. Have them cracking jokes. Maybe even throw in Shaq and or Kevin Hart, shit like that.

That is must see TV>
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Here's the thing with Trae Young: Luka Doncic last year got a ton of fan votes right? but he still didn't make the team, he didn't get much votes from the media I'm guessing because of the Mavs record. The Mavs last year were a middle of the pack team kind of like the Spurs this year. The Hawks this year have the WORST record in the NBA. I think they're 9-33 or something. They didn't vote Luka in last year because of his team's record but somehow they're going to vote Young in this year?

This happened to Curry early in his career too. He was putting up "all star numbers" but his Warriors team weren't in a playoff spot so he didn't make the team.

All I want is consistency.

I like planetmars list. The only thing that I would change is Tatum over Brown and Simmons over Trae Young.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Comment

Another thing, Trae Young making the team will create a lot of controversy. Look at LaVine's numbers. LaVine is putting up monster numbers as well and his team is in 9th place, just 3 games back of the Nets. If Young makes the team, shouldn't LaVine also be on the team? what about Brad Beal?
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Lol... The sound link wouldn’t work for me but this quote:

Comment

Siakam voted number 2 now is pretty impressive, go Canada voters.
                    Jimmy Butler at number 4, if he signed here would the Raps be Eastern Conference favourites? How about Beal?
                    Last edited by G__Deane; Wed Jan 22, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

DeMar not even in the top ten for guards now that he's in Texas. Says a lot about the power of the Raptor fanbase.

Comment

Anyone know how the math works for fan voting vs coach/media? Like, do they just weigh the average positioning in the voting ranks, or do they take into account the voting leads?

For why this matters, look at Kemba Walker and the small vote margin between him and Kyrie. It would be easy for the media vote to lift him to a starting spot if he only has to overcome that slim margin. But if the fan vote has him instead as "3rd", then he may need to finish "1st" in coach/media vote to be lifted into the SL.

Comment

With the exception of the Eastern guards (should be Walker and Lowry), the list as it stands seems pretty accurate to me. Butler is probably choked he's behind Siakam….

I know there's a lot of talk about Young but in my view he has a better case than Irving. At least he actually plays. Irving has missed 27 games and his last three games back he was net 0, -29 and -6. and they are 5-10 when he plays. That's embarrassing for a 'superstar' player. You want to talk about overrated players? There is no more overrated player than Irving. No one comes close.

One more edit: every other guard in that top 10 deserves it more than Irving.
                          Last edited by slaw; Wed Jan 22, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Is Embiid expected to play?

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Anyone know how the math works for fan voting vs coach/media? Like, do they just weigh the average positioning in the voting ranks, or do they take into account the voting leads?

For why this matters, look at Kemba Walker and the small vote margin between him and Kyrie. It would be easy for the media vote to lift him to a starting spot if he only has to overcome that slim margin. But if the fan vote has him instead as "3rd", then he may need to finish "1st" in coach/media vote to be lifted into the SL.
                              Its weighted. It helps right the egregious wrongs that fans make. Here's an example last years results. The media and players helped Kemba get in and knock out Dwyane Wade. It actually may have an outside shot to get Kyle Lowry in, depending on how the media and players rank Trae Young:
                              Eastern Conference Backcourt (First column fan rank, second column player rank, third media rank. Fourth is average weighted)
                              1. *Kyrie Irving (Boston) 1 1 1 1.0
                              2. *Kemba Walker (Charlotte) 3 2 2 2.5
                              3. Dwyane Wade (Miami) 2 6 6 4.0
                              4. Ben Simmons (Philadelphia) 4 5 3 4.0
                              5. Victor Oladipo (Indiana) 5 4 4 4.5
                              6. Kyle Lowry (Toronto) 6 7 7 6.5
                              7. Bradley Beal (Washington) 10 3 5 7.0
                              8. Zach LaVine (Chicago) 7 8 8 7.5
                              9. D’Angelo Russell (Brooklyn) 11 10 8 10.0
                              10. Eric Bledsoe (Milwaukee) 16 8 8 12.0

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                                With the exception of the Eastern guards (should be Walker and Lowry), the list as it stands seems pretty accurate to me. Butler is probably choked he's behind Siakam….
                                Barring any late rallys, the fans nailed it, 5 for 5 on western conference starting lineup. I'm surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X