Everything All Star 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    Guys like TD, Matt Thomas, RHJ and even Boucher have to work double or 3x just to prove that they deserve the minutes. They play hard, defend, rebound the ball, do all the intangibles.

McCaw is getting everything on a silver platter. He started the season injured then right off the bat as soon as he got healthy was automatically promoted to be one of the first guy off the bench. Averaging 24 minutes per game. We thought his injury on his face may change the course of how Nurse’s uses him...but yet again, like clock work, he supersede guys who are more productive while he was out.

McCaw does not have the feel for the game, watching him stares at a loose ball, looking stunned, allowing guys from the point to blow past him, does not fight for rebounds and just deferring to his teammates (except some lucky made three every 4-5 games in between).

its unfortunate for TD and Matt Thomas as rookies not represent the Raptors. By-product of them not getting consistent minutes and exposure from the get go.

because for some reason NN has the belief that McCaw has a higher ceiling with untapped potential
    I think theres something to be said about Nick not seeing McCaw potential but instead the exact opposite. He sees TD potential. He is using McCaw as an obstacle the TD has to over come. He is making him earn every minute cause he know he will be a bigger piece once the playoffs come around. He giving the tough love approach I.E the 6 minutes too many comment. Terrence has responded every time Nick has challenged him and if that continues he is going to make it impossible not to play him in the playoffs.
    With what we have seen from Terrence the rising star snub is going to be a good thing for us. Its going to light a fire under him
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I think theres something to be said about Nick not seeing McCaw potential but instead the exact opposite. He sees TD potential. He is using McCaw as an obstacle the TD has to over come. He is making him earn every minute cause he know he will be a bigger piece once the playoffs come around. He giving the tough love approach I.E the 6 minutes too many comment. Terrence has responded every time Nick has challenged him and if that continues he is going to make it impossible not to play him in the playoffs.
      With what we have seen from Terrence the rising star snub is going to be a good thing for us. Its going to light a fire under him
      https://youtu.be/DizKyQTll_0

Basically what you were saying then....NN and McCaw.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

TONS of US NE and midwest cities are colder and receive more snow than Toronto. The weather argument doesn't hold water at all
        Not making the point about it being cold. Making the point that we had a decent winter in our all star year but it suddenly plummeted just for all star weekend. Same thing happening to Chicago this year. Nice days before the ASG, nice days after but a huge drop when everyone is there

Comment

TONS of US NE and midwest cities are colder and receive more snow than Toronto. The weather argument doesn't hold water at all
          The agony of having to go through customs with TONS of jewelry is a much more understandable excuse. I feel for those guys.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

But starting RHJ made some sense. We had to go as big as we could (and Boucher doesn't exactly play big) to handle the Towns minutes.

Nurse deserves lots of benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately there's not much doubt to give him the benefit of in this case.
            OK but evidently Nick considered other options and chose the right one. I'd have to go back and look but didn't see a whole lot of people saying "obviously we'll see Rondae starting against Towns" when we learned Serge is ill before the game ......

“We didn’t have a whole lot of other options,” Nurse said. “We did talk about starting OG and Pascal at the four-five and maybe starting Terence. But in the end we decided to go at ‘em with Rondae.”

Too easy saying it was obvious after the fact lol

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The agony of having to go through customs with TONS of jewelry is a much more understandable excuse. I feel for those guys.
              haha I remember that. Bosh right?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

Not making the point about it being cold. Making the point that we had a decent winter in our all star year but it suddenly plummeted just for all star weekend. Same thing happening to Chicago this year. Nice days before the ASG, nice days after but a huge drop when everyone is there
                ahhh I didn't catch what you were saying. I didn't even know where the AS was being played this year, that's how much I care about the game

Comment

haha I remember that. Bosh right?
                  Bish to me.

While he acknowledged the on-court product as a common deterrent for players turning down Toronto in the past, Bosh drew from his experience in Toronto to discuss some of the logistical challenges playing north of the border:

“It’s taxes and customs, and they don’t make it easy on you,” he explained. “Forgive me if I’m going off on customs — I love you guys, but man. We’d go in and out of the city a lot. It’s centrally located, so a lot of in-and-out flights. You’re going through customs every time. And we’re in the airport going through customs and that gets kind of old a little bit. They had to give us our boarding pass and tickets and we had to take off our shoes and laptops, and you know, we’re NBA players — we’ve got a lot of jewelry on. We’ve got a lot of stuff.
                  https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...-raptors-fate/

Comment

OK but evidently Nick considered other options and chose the right one. I'd have to go back and look but didn't see a whole lot of people saying "obviously we'll see Rondae starting against Towns" when we learned Serge is ill before the game ......

“We didn’t have a whole lot of other options,” Nurse said. “We did talk about starting OG and Pascal at the four-five and maybe starting Terence. But in the end we decided to go at ‘em with Rondae.”

Too easy saying it was obvious after the fact lol
                    I didn't say it was obvious. I said it made some sense. There were a bunch of options that made sense, and when they announced that starting lineup my reaction was that it was interesting and was intrigued to see the results.

McCaw playing so much doesn't make any sense on the face of it. There's no upside compared to the alternatives.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Bored watching the celebrity game. Darius Miles on live mike being reprimanded by announcers “keep it clean”. Miles “sorry I fucked up”.

Comment

• Listening to them announce the starting lineups for the Rising Stars again makes me SMH. Wheres TD? Unbelievable.

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
                          Listening to them announce the starting lineups for the Rising Stars again makes me SMH. Wheres TD? Unbelievable.
                          That isn't the NBA's fault. Blame Nurse for giving TD's minutes to McCaw. The other US rookies and sophs are deserving too. Trae Young qualifies fair and square, so if he wants to play in both games, that's his choice.

The only legit gripe you have might be the World vs. US format, which allows guys like NAW and Svi to get in over better US talent. Or, just make it rookies only and then you'd have some real duds in the game. Always something to complain about.

Comment

• The World vs USA format is a joke. Look at the World's bench: Svi, Wagner, Okogie, Melli...those guys are scrubs. They ain't no rising stars.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                              The World vs USA format is a joke. Look at the World's bench: Svi, Wagner, Okogie, Melli...those guys are scrubs. They ain't no rising stars.
                              I have to guess the World vs US gambit was an effort to raise the profile of the NBA internationally. I have never cared for quota systems though I might go along with the thought that it helps provide incentive for disadvantaged groups to recognize opportunities they thought were not available to them. Maybe a few more years of World vs US and they can just go to a West vs East draft system like the current All Star game.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

That isn't the NBA's fault. Blame Nurse for giving TD's minutes to McCaw. The other US rookies and sophs are deserving too. Trae Young qualifies fair and square, so if he wants to play in both games, that's his choice.

The only legit gripe you have might be the World vs. US format, which allows guys like NAW and Svi to get in over better US talent. Or, just make it rookies only and then you'd have some real duds in the game. Always something to complain about.
                                I'm not blaming the coach of the defending champs for anything. Nurse is allowed to do anything he wants for the next 5 years (grace period for winning).

Comment

Working...
                                X