Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Raptors compete for #1 seed in east this upcoming season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw
    replied
    Full disclosure...this comes from years of being a Toronto sports fan. Does anyone see the Raps being wildly successful and getting the number 1 seed only to see the number 8 seed going to Brooklyn?

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Z
    replied
    If Raps keep winning at this pace and take 1st seed, the league will really need to consider Lowry as the MVP

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    somewhat related to this thread. Washington is down in crunch time against the Hawks. Raul Butler is on the floor. And he just hit a three. And they are predicted to be better than us.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Phil Jackson always said that a mark of a contender is if they can win 40 before they lose 20. Let's see what happens after 60 games.

Leave a comment:

• Superjudge
    replied
    69 games.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Z
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mike, prague
    replied
    We should re-name this thread to: "Who can compete with the Raptors for the #1 seed in the east"

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    It we win 60 games we got to give coach another extension on top of the one he just got

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    great teams win 60 games. I would love to win 60 games.

Leave a comment:

• enlightenment
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Perhaps 60?
    Im hoping to blow our old record out of the water and get all the way to 60.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    007 wrote: View Post
    I think we can definitely get 50 wins this year.
    Perhaps 60?

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    I've been trying to keep perspective on what is the realistic ceiling for this team. When I was back in Canada at the end of October I remember having conversations with some friends who live in Toronto, (who are general Toronto sports fans). In particular I remember having a conversation with a buddy, that something like this...

Well, I've seen enough. The Cavs are still trying to figure things out, and I think defense is going to continue to be an issue that they can't solve without some personnel changes. Chicago is a good team, but so far injuries have put a damper on their season.

The Raptors are unequivocally the best, and most consistent team in the Eastern Conference to date, and It's not even close. We're tied for the best record in the league, with the Grizzlies (who we've beaten). You can argue about strength of schedule, but we're 3rd (behind Dallas, and GS) on Hollinger's auto-power rankings, (which takes SoS into account - Grizz are 6th). We're 6th in DRtg, 2nd in ORtg. Tied for 2nd with GS (behind Dallas) in NetRtg.

I've been keeping perspective since the season started, and here's where I'm at.

The media is still talking about how Chicago and Cleveland, can and will get better, and that's true. But so will the Raps. Although both teams have a higher level than the raps then could get to, I don't think Cleveland will be able to play their best basketball this season (or in the playoffs). Chicago, has a better shot, and them at their best is still probably better than the Raps at their best, but here's the thing: I think Toronto will be playing their best basket-ball in May. And I think that Raps have a 50-50 chance or better against either of these teams if they are playing at their pinnacle. Chicago is going to have to beat us, we aren't going to beat ourselves. If they aren't firing on all cylinders, then they're in trouble.

We're not playing good basketball, we're playing great basketball. We have all season to fine tune so we reach our potential of amazing basketball. Baring an unlikely jump by JV or TRoss, that's were we top out. A level below the "all-time great basketball" that the Spurs reached last season. Very few teams have the potential to reach that All-Time Great level, and even fewer actually realize that potential.

Good basketball gets you into the playoffs, and maybe even the second round
    Great basketball gets you into the second round, and possibly even the Conference Finals
    Amazing Basketball gets you a spot in the Conference Finals, and an opportunity to take home the hardware.
    All-time Great basketball: Gets you the hardware, and a legacy.

I've seen enough. It's no longer about us proving that we can play with the best in the East. Now it's up to the rest of the East to prove they can play with us.

See you in the Conference Finals.

EDIT: This must be how Jason Terry felt, when he tattooed the L O'B T on his arm.
    Good post -well said.

Leave a comment:

• themasao
    replied
    Next week is big. Starting with a win against Phoenix is particularly huge. You want to come out 2-1, and going into Dallas 1-1 really puts your backs against the wall vs. a tough team.

Let's start the week out strong at home!

Leave a comment:

• Zainab
    replied
    iblastoff wrote: View Post
    i'll be at this game. its gonna be throwback night! if we lose, at least i go home with a fancy t-shirt...
    No, you're going home with a fancy t-shirt AND a win. No ifs, ands, or buts!

Leave a comment:

• iblastoff
    replied
    Raptorsfan361 wrote: View Post
    Got dallas next week that is a nice test for us
    i'll be at this game. its gonna be throwback night! if we lose, at least i go home with a fancy t-shirt...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X