No announcement yet.

Game 38: Toronto Raptors 112 - Charlotte Hornets 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was actually a pretty fun game again. I love how the Raptors play. Even with half the team injured, they play tough on defense, and swing the ball on offense. It's really actually beautiful basketball.

Lowry had an off game again. You can really see how tired he is trying to carry the team. The missed free throws sucked. But he nailed that wide open 3 which was really helpful at the time. Great defense as usual.

Serge had a Serge type game. Was mainly our main offense spark plug (other than TD) but he makes so many dumb decisions. Tugging on that jersey at the end there. Now if he didn't get that foul, there was a chance that the Hornets would have tried to score early in the clock to take the lead back. So them keeping the ball until the last second might have only happened because it was a tie. In the end it worked out. His legs were so tired but he grinded it out in O/T. Huge free throws at the end. Caught that errand pass from TD before that. Hit a nice jumper as well which I really thought was going to be a miss.

McCaw got a lot of hate and I get it.. he's not good. But last night he was actually okay. Got 11 assists. Only 2 turnovers. I mean that's pretty awesome. But we saw both turnovers turn into 3's. The first one lead to the 9-0 run at the end of the third. The second one was in O/T. So even though he only had 2 turnovers they came at really bad times. I find that he's getting more comfortable with the ball. My theory on McCaw is that he has memorized Nurse's playbook better than anyone not named Fred or Kyle. Doc had an interesting article on ESPN the other day where he mentioned that he had given his playbook to Pat Bev and he had only done that twice before (to Rondo and Paul). And part of the reason is to not slow down the game by having him yell plays on each offensive set. Maybe Nurse likes that McCaw knows the playbook well enough that he can hurry up an offensive set. No idea but he's actually such a mediocre player. Right now we have no options though since Fred is banged up and TD is a SG. But I thought he was good enough yesterday. Some of his assists were fire.

Speaking of TD.. man what a game. He made some bone headed plays (like that pass to Serge), but he more than made up for it. Two big 3's in O/T. Career night. And really humble in the post game interview. This kid is going to be a star. Love that he's on the team.

OG came up big. Some huge rebounds in traffic, and that was one area that I was concerned with last year. Kawhi was able to get those kind of boards, and OG was always passive on the rebounding despite having the size to be good at it. I'm glad he's getting into the thick of things. We need that from him. He's not going to be a Pascal type player, but he can be a really good role player. Every team needs a guy that can defend well, hit 3's and grab boards. Those guys are needed on championship teams.

The bench was pretty bad. Zeller got into Boucher's head, and really took him out of it. His 3's were really off. Pretty terrible +/- for those guys. O'Shea was invisible. RHJ took a really bad wide open 3 which we could have used and was a team low -16. Thomas made some nice 3's again. He's still pretty raw though overall. Didn't even realize SJ played until I saw the boxscore. Doesn't help when we're forced to use McCaw to run the point for them, but yeah they could have been a lot better.

After that huge Charlotte run, was expecting a loss. Surprised we won to be honest and will take it. Can't wait until at least one guy comes back.

Comment

• Lots of McCaw frustration and I know it’s a cliché, but a lot of what he does doesn’t show up in the stat sheet. At least not our stat sheet. Charlotte’s stat sheet will show Devonte Graham with 11 points on 3/15 shooting in an OT game. He’s been killing some other teams. McCaw was his main defender and swallowed him up.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Lots of McCaw frustration and I know it’s a cliché, but a lot of what he does doesn’t show up in the stat sheet. At least not our stat sheet. Charlotte’s stat sheet will show Devonte Graham with 11 points on 3/15 shooting in an OT game. He’s been killing some other teams. McCaw was his main defender and swallowed him up.
        Honestly, I also want to believe that McCaw is a no-stats all-star, like Shane Battier or Draymond Green. Those type of players show out big time in the advanced stats, like: RPM, PIPM, WS, box plus/min, net rating, etc...

Problem is that McCaw is at the bottom of the team in pretty much all of the advanced stats.... by a wide, wide margin. I mean, I'm not big into raw plus/minus, but McCaw is consistently the lowest starter game-after-game... again by a wide margin. If something occurs over and over again, it's a trend, not an opinion or an impulsive overreaction. And if a trend holds, it becomes a fact.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Honestly, I also want to believe that McCaw is a no-stats all-star, like Shane Battier or Draymond Green. Those type of players show out big time in the advanced stats, like: RPM, PIPM, WS, box plus/min, net rating, etc...

Problem is that McCaw is at the bottom of the team in pretty much all of the advanced stats.... by a wide, wide margin. I mean, I'm not big into raw plus/minus, but McCaw is consistently the lowest starter game-after-game... again by a wide margin. If something occurs over and over again, it's a trend, not an opinion or an impulsive overreaction. And if a trend holds, it becomes a fact.
          PIPM has McCaw as the worst offensive player on the team, and solidly below average on defence, making him the 2nd worst impact player on the team (just behind Serge who really has been bad this year), and bottom 60 in the league. He ranks 394th in the league with a -1.8 RPM. In pure on-offs the Raptors are 12 points per 100 possessions worse with McCaw than without him, 8 points of that on offence and 4 points on defence.

He's really bad. Honestly he's actually a better production player than he is an impact player. He's way down at 384th in PER, but up at 260th, downright below-average, in WS/48.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lots of McCaw frustration and I know it’s a cliché, but a lot of what he does doesn’t show up in the stat sheet. At least not our stat sheet. Charlotte’s stat sheet will show Devonte Graham with 11 points on 3/15 shooting in an OT game. He’s been killing some other teams. McCaw was his main defender and swallowed him up.
            McCaw was fine last night.... there's plenty of opportunities to crap on the guy but this game wasn't one of them. Yeah, he had a couple mistakes but he also had many more good plays.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              No idea wth that was about

Evidently Kyle was imitating/mocking Davis in the interview but he's the only one that got the joke
              Last edited by G__Deane; Thu Jan 9, 2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• This is good news:

Comment

• Oladipo has announced his plan to return on the 29th, so if we have our guys all back by then the East will be rocking by the all-star break
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Was actually a pretty fun game again. I love how the Raptors play. Even with half the team injured, they play tough on defense, and swing the ball on offense. It's really actually beautiful basketball.

Lowry had an off game again. You can really see how tired he is trying to carry the team. The missed free throws sucked. But he nailed that wide open 3 which was really helpful at the time. Great defense as usual.

Serge had a Serge type game. Was mainly our main offense spark plug (other than TD) but he makes so many dumb decisions. Tugging on that jersey at the end there. Now if he didn't get that foul, there was a chance that the Hornets would have tried to score early in the clock to take the lead back. So them keeping the ball until the last second might have only happened because it was a tie. In the end it worked out. His legs were so tired but he grinded it out in O/T. Huge free throws at the end. Caught that errand pass from TD before that. Hit a nice jumper as well which I really thought was going to be a miss.

McCaw got a lot of hate and I get it.. he's not good. But last night he was actually okay. Got 11 assists. Only 2 turnovers. I mean that's pretty awesome. But we saw both turnovers turn into 3's. The first one lead to the 9-0 run at the end of the third. The second one was in O/T. So even though he only had 2 turnovers they came at really bad times. I find that he's getting more comfortable with the ball. My theory on McCaw is that he has memorized Nurse's playbook better than anyone not named Fred or Kyle. Doc had an interesting article on ESPN the other day where he mentioned that he had given his playbook to Pat Bev and he had only done that twice before (to Rondo and Paul). And part of the reason is to not slow down the game by having him yell plays on each offensive set. Maybe Nurse likes that McCaw knows the playbook well enough that he can hurry up an offensive set. No idea but he's actually such a mediocre player. Right now we have no options though since Fred is banged up and TD is a SG. But I thought he was good enough yesterday. Some of his assists were fire.

Speaking of TD.. man what a game. He made some bone headed plays (like that pass to Serge), but he more than made up for it. Two big 3's in O/T. Career night. And really humble in the post game interview. This kid is going to be a star. Love that he's on the team.

OG came up big. Some huge rebounds in traffic, and that was one area that I was concerned with last year. Kawhi was able to get those kind of boards, and OG was always passive on the rebounding despite having the size to be good at it. I'm glad he's getting into the thick of things. We need that from him. He's not going to be a Pascal type player, but he can be a really good role player. Every team needs a guy that can defend well, hit 3's and grab boards. Those guys are needed on championship teams.

The bench was pretty bad. Zeller got into Boucher's head, and really took him out of it. His 3's were really off. Pretty terrible +/- for those guys. O'Shea was invisible. RHJ took a really bad wide open 3 which we could have used and was a team low -16. Thomas made some nice 3's again. He's still pretty raw though overall. Didn't even realize SJ played until I saw the boxscore. Doesn't help when we're forced to use McCaw to run the point for them, but yeah they could have been a lot better.

After that huge Charlotte run, was expecting a loss. Surprised we won to be honest and will take it. Can't wait until at least one guy comes back.
                    It was a huge run. The Hornets finished the 3rd Q on a 9 - 0 run. Then by the time OG drained a 3 at 5:32 of the 4Q. The Hornets had extended it to 22 - 2 and had built a 94 to 84 lead. I figured the game was over too as our offense was on life support. We went over half the 4Q scoring only 2 points before OG started the comeback with his 3.

Comment

• 3 full days off...we'll be bored but they sure could use it

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

No idea wth that was about

Evidently Kyle was imitating/mocking Davis in the interview but he's the only one that got the joke
                        i don't think that's the correct interpretation, nor do i think the twitter speculation that he is impersonating hockey player interviews is on point (i'd be surprised if kyle has sat through a single hockey player interview in his whole life).

my immediate reaction was that he was mocking russell wilson's SNF post-game interview with michelle tafoya after russ buried his eagles with downfield daggers to metcalfe, which was over the top even by russell wilson's standards of comical enthusiasm/optimism. i can't for the life of me find the interview on the internet, but i re-watched it on my pvr and am certain that was his angle.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i don't think that's the correct interpretation, nor do i think the twitter speculation that he is impersonating hockey player interviews is on point (i'd be surprised if kyle has sat through a single hockey player interview in his whole life).

my immediate reaction was that he was mocking russell wilson's SNF post-game interview with michelle tafoya after russ buried his eagles with downfield daggers to metcalfe, which was over the top even by russell wilson's standards of comical enthusiasm/optimism. i can't for the life of me find the interview on the internet, but i re-watched it on my pvr and am certain that was his angle.
                          I thought it was supposed to be a Nick Nurse impression
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Maybe you’re right. The over the top positivity and enthusiasm does not strike me as characteristic of many post game nick nurse scrums though, even after wins. His speech also tends to be much more measured in my mind

Comment

3 full days off...we'll be bored but they sure could use it
                              3 days? No problem

OG is our king

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

He would have said "right?" every third word if he was doing a NN impression

Comment

Working...
                                X