Everything Draft 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maury wrote: View Post

Would be really great to find a rotation player in the draft like we always do. There's probably need for a big as ours are getting older. Maybe a wing or a 3/4.
    If they let Gasol go, are they going to be happy with Boucher as backup? I don't think so. Depends what they can find on the free agent market, and it seems that bigs are move available than forwards. Of course, draft best available talent seems to be how they have run in the past. I expect that to continue since it has worked out for them pretty well.

What I will find interesting is how different the Raptors draft will be from what the talking heads expect.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

If they let Gasol go, are they going to be happy with Boucher as backup? I don't think so. Depends what they can find on the free agent market, and it seems that bigs are move available than forwards. Of course, draft best available talent seems to be how they have run in the past. I expect that to continue since it has worked out for them pretty well.

What I will find interesting is how different the Raptors draft will be from what the talking heads expect.
      yeah they might be looking for a C or at least a combo PF-C. This website has us picking a C at #28: https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
      They never predicted a pick correctly for the Raptors over the years though, so who knows.

It'd be nice to also see what we have in Hernandez . He was hurt for most of the season, so it's a bit of an unknown, but I think he's a good rebounder and passer, and has a good touch around the rim. Might be just what we need as a backup C, and instead use that pick for hopefully a rotation caliber wing player.

Comment

Masai doesn't generally pick a guy based on need, ever. He likes guys that work hard, and have something to prove. And he loves guys with length that can play multiple positions. He rarely ever gets a guy that is polished and will use the G-League to get them there through their hard work / dedication.

So if that guy happens to be a center, then he'll pick him. But we also have Dewan on the team. And there might be something there that we just haven't seen yet since he's been hurt.

Comment

Organizations with a great scouting staff like the Raps have a HUGE advantage this year.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
            Organizations with a great scouting staff like the Raps have a HUGE advantage this year.
            I think so too. The 3 first round picks we've had since 2016 were all key assets. OG turned out to be a starter caliber player, Poeltl was a blue-chip piece in the most important trade in the team's history, and Siakam turned out to be an all-star. OG and Siakam were picked at 23 and 27 (plus Norm, FVV and TDII late second/undrafted), so I'm excited to see who they'll find at 28 overall.

Comment

This draft reminds me of the 2013 draft. There's no consensus #1. It changes every other week if you look at the mock drafts. Wiseman was the favourite to go first before the season started. A couple of months ago it was Cole Anthony(Anthony is now #12 on the Ringer's mock draft). A month ago it was Anthony Edwards. A couple of weeks ago it was Ball. Now it's Killian Hayes who was ranked 10th just a couple of weeks ago.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Very nice breakdown of the Raptors possible picks in this morning's "The Athletic." Blake Murphy and Sam Vicenie.

Comment

Very nice breakdown of the Raptors possible picks in this morning's "The Athletic." Blake Murphy and Sam Vicenie.
                  Nice breakdown. Raptors prioritize character/motor, speed/athleticism and positional versatility over shooting, age, and even positional need. They typically don't go for ready-made hyped players - instead they go for the ones with the athleticism, mindset and drive needed to have the player grow into the way they play.

I think this draft could deviate a lot from the mock ones (even more so than in past years). There's been less scouting , and I think there's a big chance we'll see a hidden gem being picked late in the first, right in the zone the Raps are picking. .

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

Nice breakdown. Raptors prioritize character/motor, speed/athleticism and positional versatility over shooting, age, and even positional need. They typically don't go for ready-made hyped players - instead they go for the ones with the athleticism, mindset and drive needed to have the player grow into the way they play.

I think this draft could deviate a lot from the mock ones (even more so than in past years). There's been less scouting , and I think there's a big chance we'll see a hidden gem being picked late in the first, right in the zone the Raps are picking. .
                    Raps pick could depend a lot on what they plan on doing with Marc/Serge and their longer term thoughts on Kyle/ re-signing FVV

Comment

Starting to watch old Raptors games again. Want to watch some of these prospects, anyone know where to find full college bball games?

Comment

How Masai & co. so consistently go for this profile and get guys who actually can and do improve is beyond me. Because on the surface the approach is not unique, plenty of raw guys get drafted on potential. But it's easy to end up with Joey Graham or take a flyer on a Jamario Moon and...they don't really turn into anything. Is it just the Raptors' development program, is it a lucky streak, or somehow does this management team and scouting department manage to put their finger on player development potential rather than just seeing raw prospects?
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

How Masai & co. so consistently go for this profile and get guys who actually can and do improve is beyond me. Because on the surface the approach is not unique, plenty of raw guys get drafted on potential. But it's easy to end up with Joey Graham or take a flyer on a Jamario Moon and...they don't really turn into anything. Is it just the Raptors' development program, is it a lucky streak, or somehow does this management team and scouting department manage to put their finger on player development potential rather than just seeing raw prospects?
                          San Antonio has done this for a long time and that played a huge role in their prolonged success. Tony Parker pick 28 and Manu pick 57 were key. I said a few years back that in order to take the next step we needed to strike gold with a late round pick or two. I never thought it would get us a championship, but that's what Masai is for.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Rico Hines on Paul Watson, who has been attending Hines' summer workouts for the last couple of years after Watson signed a two-year, two-way contract with the Raptors:

"Oh, man, how dope is that, right? I mean, come on, man. Like, I just got chills thinking about that kid just now,” Hines said. “First of all, I love every kid that I work with. I truly do, man. And I love to see them finally start to get it. It’s such a dope thing to watch, man. It’s just like the best thing in the world because, you know, him not getting drafted, him having a good college career, being a rookie of the year in his conference, you know, he had big-time talent. He has big-time talent, man. He has worked with me the past summers. And the kid, he devoted himself this summer, guys. I mean, he really did....We worked on all the things that he needed to do, and he became more aggressive,” Hines said. “Because by nature, he can really hoop, he can do a lot of things, he can play-make, he’s extremely athletic, he can defend, he can make shots, but he’s just kind of laid-back, he lets the games come to him. But when he turns it on like he did right now … now you can kind of get a chance to see the certain things. And a lot of that is just his development.”

We can only hope.

https://theathletic.com/1824394/2020...aul-watson-jr/
                            Last edited by Puffer; Wed May 20, 2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Rico Hines on Paul Watson, who has been attending Hines' summer workouts for the last couple of years after Watson signed a two-year, two-way contract with the Raptors:

"Oh, man, how dope is that, right? I mean, come on, man. Like, I just got chills thinking about that kid just now,” Hines said. “First of all, I love every kid that I work with. I truly do, man. And I love to see them finally start to get it. It’s such a dope thing to watch, man. It’s just like the best thing in the world because, you know, him not getting drafted, him having a good college career, being a rookie of the year in his conference, you know, he had big-time talent. He has big-time talent, man. He has worked with me the past summers. And the kid, he devoted himself this summer, guys. I mean, he really did....We worked on all the things that he needed to do, and he became more aggressive,” Hines said. “Because by nature, he can really hoop, he can do a lot of things, he can play-make, he’s extremely athletic, he can defend, he can make shots, but he’s just kind of laid-back, he lets the games come to him. But when he turns it on like he did right now … now you can kind of get a chance to see the certain things. And a lot of that is just his development.”

We can only hope.

https://theathletic.com/1824394/2020...aul-watson-jr/
                              I like him. He's got a pretty tight handle for a forward, nice quick realease from 3, especially from the corners, pretty explosive around rim, good rebounder/shot blocker for a wing. He's also at that prototypical weight/height/speed that can switch and guard multiple positions on the defensive end, which Nurse really likes (6'7" 215lbs, fast and lengthy).

From what I've seen of him at the 905, he doesn't have any big wholes in his game, other than maybe being a bit too timid sometimes like Hines said above. He's also around the same age as Pascal, Fred & Thomas, so in a couple of years maybe we'll get to see more of this from the bench:

Last edited by inthepaint; Wed May 20, 2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I like him. He's got a pretty tight handle for a forward, nice quick realease from 3, especially from the corners, pretty explosive around rim, good rebounder/shot blocker for a wing. He's also at that prototypical weight/height/speed that can switch and guard multiple positions on the defensive end, which Nurse really likes (6'7" 215lbs, fast and lengthy).

From what I've seen of him at the 905, he doesn't have any big wholes in his game, other than maybe being a bit too timid sometimes like Hines said above. He's also around the same age as Pascal, Fred & Thomas, so in a couple of years maybe we'll get to see more of this from the bench:

6'7 and 215 and versatile can work but can also be small in the NBA.

By comparison, Durant is listed at 6'8 and 240 and he's a bit of a bone rack. Pretty good bone rack but the difference is he's anything but timid lol

Comment

Working...
                                X