Everything Draft 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G__Deane wrote: View Post

6'7 and 215 and versatile can work but can also be small in the NBA.

By comparison, Durant is listed at 6'8 and 240 and he's a bit of a bone rack. Pretty good bone rack but the difference is he's anything but timid lol
    Durant is 6'10", maybe even taller:
    (Check the last picture on the second link with him next to Blake Griffin)
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...duranke01.html
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/t...s-real-height/

Here are the weights of guys listed at 6'7" at bbref:

Ingram: 190lbs
    Wiggins: 194lbs
    Oubre: 205lbs
    Hayward: 207lb
    Luwawu-Cabarrot: 210lb
    Covington: 211lb
    Paul Watson: 215lb
    Taurean Prince: 218lb
    Doncic: 218lbs
    Dillon Brooks: 220ls
    Middleton: 222lb
    Butler: 230lb
    OG (who's a tank): 232lb

Wide range of weights for that height, but his weight looks pretty average for 6'7".

Comment

6'7 and 215 and versatile can work but can also be small in the NBA.

By comparison, Durant is listed at 6'8 and 240 and he's a bit of a bone rack. Pretty good bone rack but the difference is he's anything but timid lol
      KD is definitely more like 7'0 or 7'1" by now. Dude's a freak. He's not 6'8" though.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post

KD is definitely more like 7'0 or 7'1" by now. Dude's a freak. He's not 6'8" though.
        6' 10.75" evidently
        https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/t...s-real-height/

Comment

Draft is in about a month (June 26) - I'm excited about finally having a first round pick again. I have a feeling Raps will retain Fred but will realistically let go of at least one of Gasol or Ibaka. That tells me they might go for a big, likely a mobile big in the PF/C zone that fits Nurse's style. Three names have floated around for the Raps:

--Isaiah Stewert. 6'9", 7'4" wingspan, 250lb tank, would probably bring solid physical presence around the rim on both ends. Has good shooting form and a midrange game too.

--Zeke Nnaji. 6'11, apparently lots of passion and motor (Masai type of player), but at the same time quite polished footwork, positional awareness and pick n roll/pop proficiency for a college player (turned 19 this year is is supposed to be ahead of the curve in development already). Also is apparently an awesome rebounder, especially on the offensive glass, and a perfect lob target player. Raps apparently interviewing him this week.

--Paul Reed. This is the guy I'm hoping they pick. Kinda of a wild card but with tons of upside. Has been low in some mocks (like around 40, some as low as 51) but really high on some (Hollinger has him at 12). Could actually be there for the Ra[ps at 28 or who knows even with their second pick. I don't watch college ball, but from the footage I've seen of this kid, he looks like to have no fear; outstanding defender, 6'9", super quick, shoots the 3, super quick release, can attack of the dribble, nice handle, can bring the ball accross the timeline, great touch around the rim. Post-up, transition, eurostep, midrange, the whole nine. Basically a loose cannon (in a good way), that would benefit tremendously from some direction and targeted development from the Raps elite development program.

This is Hollinger on him (via The Athletic):

My hottest take on the 2020 class is that Reed is the most undervalued player in the draft, hiding in plain sight as a young junior mired on a brutal DePaul team. I still wonder if I have him too low here.

A long-limbed 4 who moves well laterally, flashes tremendous hands, and has great instincts, Reed can guard 1 through 5 and has All-Defense potential. He’s a rim protector too, a quick leaper who can block shots, and he’s an outstanding rebounder for his size – which may allow him to play 5 as his body fills out. Statistically, Reed had the highest steal rate of any player in my top 60, guards included, and had the highest block rate of any non-center.
          I mean, look at the arms and legs on this kid:

Comment

Raps will pick someone out of left field again.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

If Masai keeps the pick.. look for older guys that have length and have some kind of chip that gives them drive. Masai has a formula and it's pretty bullet proof. Ideally I'd like to see a PF/C hybrid. Not really sold on Dewan but he had limited time on the roster last year, and was a second rounder.

Serge/Marc are aging and might not be around anymore after this year. Can always look to fill that position in a trade or free agency, but it's more fun usually to see a guy that we bring in and develop like we did with Pascal, Fred and Norm.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                If Masai keeps the pick.. look for older guys that have length and have some kind of chip that gives them drive. Masai has a formula and it's pretty bullet proof. Ideally I'd like to see a PF/C hybrid. Not really sold on Dewan but he had limited time on the roster last year, and was a second rounder.

Serge/Marc are aging and might not be around anymore after this year. Can always look to fill that position in a trade or free agency, but it's more fun usually to see a guy that we bring in and develop like we did with Pascal, Fred and Norm.
                I think part of the reason Masai and co like the older guys is they typically end up a bit smarter coming into the league. Too many young guys come into the league with a shaky feel for the game and are lost defensively. The high draft picks see the floor and rely on superior physical traits to make up for lack of fundementals and knowledge, while the guys going to good teams seem to get wedged into strict roles and never reach their potential. In todays NBA you have to be able to process info real quick especially defensively, and I think the older guys have some advantages there - though it doesnt hurt to be around Lowry, Gasol, Nurse, etc all day.

Watched a couple GLeague games to get a sense of Dewan, im kinda torn. Think hes got potential as a F/C, but hes gotta get stronger and some more experience. Think he really suffered missing his last year in college due to suspension - just looks awkward at times. That being said, hes got some skills, is long, pretty explosive and a fluid athlete with a good frame and solid instincts - just needs more time and an offseason to tighten everything up. Think he could compete for a backup role by next season.

Comment

I think the big winner of the draft is going to be someone in the 7-14 range. Usually with the tournament and workouts the top 5 prospect usually solidify themselves. There going to be a top 5 talent that slips to the late lottery and the team that is able to find that guy is going to grab him and run like bandits.
                  But for the raps i agree a good young center who can shoot the 3 would be next step in retooling our future.
                  We have FVV,Norm/TD,Og,Pascal as the potential future at the other 4 spots. Grab us a C and we could have a core of late 1st rounders, 2nd rounders and undrafted thats better then perennial lottery teams
                  Last edited by bertarapsfan; Mon May 25, 2020, 04:22 PM.
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Whoever it is we know that person is gonna be a keeper. The Raptors are hitting Spurs level of reputation for hitting on diamonds in the rough.

Comment

If we draft length again, can we not get a bean pole that were constantly saying has to put on 20 pounds though?
                      The Raps do lack a certain ..... edge and attitude, after maybe Serge and Kyle

Comment

Worth noting is there are a ton of teams in that mid first round range with a lot of young talent on the roster already, and probably eager to take a step forward with an established talent. Norm is on a very reasonable contract next year which could easily be used to move up if the guy you like is sitting there in that late lotto range. I wouldn’t go out of my way, but as others have speculated, team draft boards could be shaken up meaning a top 5 guy slides to 14 or a GM might like to mitigate risk and cash in on an imediate starter plus a late first.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                          Worth noting is there are a ton of teams in that mid first round range with a lot of young talent on the roster already, and probably eager to take a step forward with an established talent. Norm is on a very reasonable contract next year which could easily be used to move up if the guy you like is sitting there in that late lotto range. I wouldn’t go out of my way, but as others have speculated, team draft boards could be shaken up meaning a top 5 guy slides to 14 or a GM might like to mitigate risk and cash in on an imediate starter plus a late first.
                          Trading an improved Norm for a draft pick seems like a step back right now. If Serge and Gasol aren't back and they plan on letting Kyle go the year after, sure.

Comment

Trading an improved Norm for a draft pick seems like a step back right now. If Serge and Gasol aren't back and they plan on letting Kyle go the year after, sure.
                            Not at all opposed to keeping Norm, hes great and honestly on a bargin deal this year. That being said, I imagine he tests his luck in free agency in a year and i doubt it makes sense to keep him. A lot of good guys are coming off their rookie deals in the next couple years, and its a good chance to get a value deal tbh. Unless you get lucky with a signing or impressive player development Raps are a piece or two away from contending as is, especially with a couple key aging guys. To me with how the team is built getting younger and losing some depth short-term isnt tragic - especially for a high potential addition.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Not at all opposed to keeping Norm, hes great and honestly on a bargin deal this year. That being said, I imagine he tests his luck in free agency in a year and i doubt it makes sense to keep him. A lot of good guys are coming off their rookie deals in the next couple years, and its a good chance to get a value deal tbh. Unless you get lucky with a signing or impressive player development Raps are a piece or two away from contending as is, especially with a couple key aging guys. To me with how the team is built getting younger and losing some depth short-term isnt tragic - especially for a high potential addition.
                              Agreed but they would have to make the decision for a step back to trade Norm for high potential. Personally, I think they have to do a fairly extensive rebuild one way or the other:
                              -if Giannis would come here, you need another star to add to Pascal.
                              -if Giannis or other elite won't come here, time to tear this down unfortunately.

I don't see any scenario where there aren't major changes coming as Marc, Serge and Kyle all cycle out over the next 2 years. Think about the additions it would take to keep up with the Clippers, Lakers and Bucks if they are able to stand pat or improve. We're gonna see if Masai really is a magician.

Comment

Agreed but they would have to make the decision for a step back to trade Norm for high potential. Personally, I think they have to do a fairly extensive rebuild one way or the other:
                                -if Giannis would come here, you need another star to add to Pascal.
                                -if Giannis or other elite won't come here, time to tear this down unfortunately.

I don't see any scenario where there aren't major changes coming as Marc, Serge and Kyle all cycle out over the next 2 years. Think about the additions it would take to keep up with the Clippers, Lakers and Bucks if they are able to stand pat or improve. We're gonna see if Masai really is a magician.
                                Yeah thats totally reasonable, at the same time I dont thinkcompeting for a couple years with Lowry, Serge, Gasol (though he moves reeeal slow now) and building with a lotto pick are mutually exclusive. You need relatively cheap talent somewhere and Id rather any young guy earn minutes on a good team with mentors than thrown to the wolves on a bad team. I guess maybe I don’t think we’re worlds away from the teams you mentioned. Not that talent wise wed be close, but teams have retooled really quick with just good decision making, a solid core and luck. You definitely won’t get the next Luka or Zion, but you can be damn good and wait for the next big trade, diamond in the rough etc. (maybe i just dont want bad basketball though, idk)

Comment

Working...
                                X