Everything Draft 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Why? we get treated to 6 weeks of members becoming youtube scouts over here at RR! And then on draft day, we all get to lambast Masai for not taking OUR guy!

Remember when that moron drafted some unknown named Pascal Siakam instead of lengthy big man Skal Labissiere? Or when he didn't take Canadian superstar Tyler Ennis, instead he took that meme Bruno!

Fun fact: Bruno Caboclo plays in the NBA, Tyler Ennis plays in Turkey
    To be fair, Tyler Ennis plays in Turkey and Bruno sits on the bench in the NBA. But point made. Long arms will get you places.

Speaking of Skal. What's up with him? He'd be a good pickup for a value contract backup PF/C, if he's available.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      I'm so bored of drafts lol.
      I've never been into them, other than the top couple lottery picks. Congrats to people actually following prospects closely enough to have something to say, but after the top 1-5 it's such a crapshoot for everyone. A few Draftexpress articles and YT videos don't tell me anything. Per YouTube, I'm ready for the Raptors to sign The Professor, let Fred walk, and win a championship with the best backcourt in the NBA next year. PRO BALLER GETS SERVED WATCH THESE HIGHLIGHTS
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

How do you know Stanley doesn't believe in himself? because he went to Duke University?

Norm, Pascal, TD, Fred....it's easy to talk about these guys now right? so what about Bruno? he's the complete opposite of these guys. What about DeAndre Daniels? I don't think he ever made it to the NBA. Delon Wright? Poeltl? I don't think they have the same mindset as FVV or Norm. Both guys are pretty soft. What about their most recent draft pick Hernandez?
        You're right, I have no idea what Stanley's background is. He could have a story that Masai loves.

Poeltl was a lottery pick and was selected by an algorithm. Daniels got hurt and we had too much depth for him to get a chance. Not sure about Wright but he looked good as a Raptor.. not a star or anything but carried himself well. Definitely a safe pick. Other than Harrell and maybe Josh Richardson, who were both selected in the 2nd round.. not sure who else he should have drafted. Bruno was a bad pick and a reach. He was selected for his physical attributes. Masai won't make that mistake again. But on the other hand maybe we don't get a G-League team without Bruno. Masai had to convince MLSE that getting a G-League team was worthwhile. Hernandez has a pretty unique story. Was also the 59th pick so basically came in undrafted. He's still a giant question mark though. So far I've been unimpressed but he got hurt and he still looks like he's hobbling when he runs.

I don't know anything about Stanley. But Masai and Tolzman have types. Maybe they go a different way this year. Anything is possible. But they usually don't go after 1 and done's or anyone that went to a top tier program. But nobody in a top tier program ever slips that far either.

Is the reason why Stanley is expected to go slow low because of his injury? Why is he so under the radar?

Comment

• Any chance we move up in the draft?

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
            Any chance we move up in the draft?
            Always a chance, Powell would be the obvious piece to move in that case, but I would be surprised. This isn’t the draft to move up in.

twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

You're right, I have no idea what Stanley's background is. He could have a story that Masai loves.

Poeltl was a lottery pick and was selected by an algorithm. Daniels got hurt and we had too much depth for him to get a chance. Not sure about Wright but he looked good as a Raptor.. not a star or anything but carried himself well. Definitely a safe pick. Other than Harrell and maybe Josh Richardson, who were both selected in the 2nd round.. not sure who else he should have drafted. Bruno was a bad pick and a reach. He was selected for his physical attributes. Masai won't make that mistake again. But on the other hand maybe we don't get a G-League team without Bruno. Masai had to convince MLSE that getting a G-League team was worthwhile. Hernandez has a pretty unique story. Was also the 59th pick so basically came in undrafted. He's still a giant question mark though. So far I've been unimpressed but he got hurt and he still looks like he's hobbling when he runs.

I don't know anything about Stanley. But Masai and Tolzman have types. Maybe they go a different way this year. Anything is possible. But they usually don't go after 1 and done's or anyone that went to a top tier program. But nobody in a top tier program ever slips that far either.

Is the reason why Stanley is expected to go slow low because of his injury? Why is he so under the radar?
              Not having an NCAA Tournament to showcase his skill didn't help him.

Lots of times how players do in the tourney is a good scouting tool. I think a lot of solid players will still be available late in the draft. If there is a year to steal a star player late in the 1st round or the 2nd round, this is the year.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

5 - Cassius Winston
                6-1, 185 Point Guard

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cassius-winston/
                Every draft profile of a projected late first round picks have a bunch of negative stuff. It's like Siakam's draft profile, it turned out to be way off.

This is one of my favourite profiles:

Weaknesses: Does not have one aspect offensively that stands out or which allows him to consistently score the ball … With his size and frame, will almost certainly be a perimeter player at the next level, but he lacks the polish and skill necessary to consistently operate on the wing … He does not have break down ability off the dribble and he is especially shaky handling the ball with his left hand … His jumpshot (while definitely improved) is still very inconsistent … The release comes high off his head and it is somewhat of a sling motion, which results in a fairly flat shot that goes all over the place … At this level, he has a size advantage on almost a nightly basis, but he still chooses to take the majority of his shots from the outside … Takes a high number of off balance shots, but does not show the ability to convert them at a good percentage … He does not have a great touch around the basket, and unless he can get inside position on the defense, he struggles finishing when contested … Not very disciplined defensively, he gambles far too often and leaves his team susceptible to giving up easy baskets …

That's Kawhi Leonard's draft "profile".

Truth is, with these mid to late picks, people don't really have a clue until the player's been in the league for a bit

Comment

• I don't know about drafting a kid who in 2-3 years MIGHT become FVV. Might as well shoot for the stars and not draft undersized point guard
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Every draft profile of a projected late first round picks have a bunch of negative stuff. It's like Siakam's draft profile, it turned out to be way off.

This is one of my favourite profiles:

Weaknesses: Does not have one aspect offensively that stands out or which allows him to consistently score the ball … With his size and frame, will almost certainly be a perimeter player at the next level, but he lacks the polish and skill necessary to consistently operate on the wing … He does not have break down ability off the dribble and he is especially shaky handling the ball with his left hand … His jumpshot (while definitely improved) is still very inconsistent … The release comes high off his head and it is somewhat of a sling motion, which results in a fairly flat shot that goes all over the place … At this level, he has a size advantage on almost a nightly basis, but he still chooses to take the majority of his shots from the outside … Takes a high number of off balance shots, but does not show the ability to convert them at a good percentage … He does not have a great touch around the basket, and unless he can get inside position on the defense, he struggles finishing when contested … Not very disciplined defensively, he gambles far too often and leaves his team susceptible to giving up easy baskets …

That's Kawhi Leonard's draft "profile".

Truth is, with these mid to late picks, people don't really have a clue until the player's been in the league for a bit
                    Yeah, but Kawhi's weaknesses are things that can be worked on and developed with training and coaching. Winston isn't going to get taller or more athletic at the NBA level. You can't teach wingspan, or something like that.

But I hear ya. NBADraft.net is especially famous for hilariously bad draft analysis. My favorite is Henry Ellenson. lol. They basically just looked at his head-shot and compared him to Brian Scalabrine & Brian Cardinal..... 2 un-athletic, white, red-headed dudes.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      I don't know about drafting a kid who in 2-3 years MIGHT become FVV. Might as well shoot for the stars and not draft undersized point guard
                      Out of the 8 teams that made their conference semifinals, most of them have starting point guards 6'0' or 6'1"

Kemba 6'0"
                      Rondo 6'1"
                      Lowry 6'0"
                      Beverly 6'1"
                      Bledsoe 6'1"

Having a PG that's 6'0" is not a problem, matter of fact some of the best PG's are around that height. The problem (against certain matchups), is when your SG is also 6'0", so you got no wingspan out of your backcourt, and shots all of a sudden need to be hoisted from the logo because there's no space for them to get a normal 3pt shot up. No team in the playoffs this year had a 6'0" starting shooting guard, except Toronto.

So I'd say if we'e drafting someone to be Lowry's backup (like FVV used to be in the old days), than draft the best PG on the board (in terms of shooting, court vision, handles, pnr skill etc.) regardless of height (though if they have all that, and taller, even better). If we're drafting someone to play next to Lowry (of which we already have 3 options in Norm, TD & Thomas), then I'd say let's go for more height/length, wingspan and explosiveness, instead of just shooting.

Comment

Out of the 8 teams that made their conference semifinals, most of them have starting point guards 6'0' or 6'1"

Kemba 6'0"
                        Rondo 6'1"
                        Lowry 6'0"
                        Beverly 6'1"
                        Bledsoe 6'1"

Having a PG that's 6'0" is not a problem, matter of fact some of the best PG's are around that height. The problem (against certain matchups), is when your SG is also 6'0", so you got no wingspan out of your backcourt, and shots all of a sudden need to be hoisted from the logo because there's no space for them to get a normal 3pt shot up. No team in the playoffs this year had a 6'0" starting shooting guard, except Toronto.

So I'd say if we'e drafting someone to be Lowry's backup (like FVV used to be in the old days), than draft the best PG on the board (in terms of shooting, court vision, handles, pnr skill etc.) regardless of height (though if they have all that, and taller, even better). If we're drafting someone to play next to Lowry (of which we already have 3 options in Norm, TD & Thomas), then I'd say let's go for more height/length, wingspan and explosiveness, instead of just shooting.
                        I think if Masai has come out and publicly said that FVV is a priority and all goes well with negotiations in the off season then the idea is that FVV is our PG of the future. Question then becomes who is our starting SG of the future....TD is the closest prospect with Lowry like offense. Consistency like all things is the key and we'll have to wait until next season to see if he can bring it.

OG and Pascal are locks, but if we sign Giannis then maybe Pascal can be used in a trade for a Beal/Lillard/Harden type wing. Throw a warm body into the C spot and away we go.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I think if Masai has come out and publicly said that FVV is a priority and all goes well with negotiations in the off season then the idea is that FVV is our PG of the future. Question then becomes who is our starting SG of the future....TD is the closest prospect with Lowry like offense. Consistency like all things is the key and we'll have to wait until next season to see if he can bring it.

OG and Pascal are locks, but if we sign Giannis then maybe Pascal can be used in a trade for a Beal/Lillard/Harden type wing. Throw a warm body into the C spot and away we go.
                          If we keep FVV, then he'll be the PG of the future and the SG of the present. We'll continue to start both Lowry and FVV (the shortest backcourt in the league) for the foreseeable future, even though that's now known to be a problem to our offence vs certain matchups in the playoffs. I'd like to be wrong but knowing Nurse, backups will probably be McCaw and Norm for next year, with TD & Thomas getting irregular/spot minutes, slowing their development, on a log-jammed guard rotation. We'll probably lose a guard at some point in the next year to open this up but I don't think it's gonna be FVV.

Comment

If we keep FVV, then he'll be the PG of the future and the SG of the present. We'll continue to start both Lowry and FVV (the shortest backcourt in the league) for the foreseeable future, even though that's now known to be a problem to our offence vs certain matchups in the playoffs. I'd like to be wrong but knowing Nurse, backups will probably be McCaw and Norm for next year, with TD & Thomas getting irregular/spot minutes, slowing their development, on a log-jammed guard rotation. We'll probably lose a guard at some point in the next year to open this up but I don't think it's gonna be FVV.
                            Their height doesn't help, but our offence wasn't poor in the Boston match up because of it. Kemba has been doing fine though out the playoffs. The issue is we lack a star that can get get buckets despite the defense, and on a team with no stars Lowry and FVV is the best of what we have. TD looks like he could be more of a pure scorer type of guard but he didn't get a chance to develop in a year the Raps were trying to win a title, understandable. If FVV isn't signed I wouldn't be surprised if TD start next to Lowry next season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Their height doesn't help, but our offence wasn't poor in the Boston match up because of it. Kemba has been doing fine though out the playoffs. The issue is we lack a star that can get get buckets despite the defense, and on a team with no stars Lowry and FVV is the best of what we have. TD looks like he could be more of a pure scorer type of guard but he didn't get a chance to develop in a year the Raps were trying to win a title, understandable. If FVV isn't signed I wouldn't be surprised if TD start next to Lowry next season.
                              Have to think Powell would get first crack at that unless they trade him too.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Have to think Powell would get first crack at that unless they trade him too.
                                I've been for trading Powell to gain cap space, but now I'm thinking hes on a very friendly deal in today's nba, he gets you 20 pts per 36 and has a few playoff Powell games every year, and can be a tweener between starting and bench scorer. Not a bad asset to hold on to.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X