Everything Draft 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I've been for trading Powell to gain cap space, but now I'm thinking hes on a very friendly deal in today's nba, he gets you 20 pts per 36 and has a few playoff Powell games every year, and can be a tweener between starting and bench scorer. Not a bad asset to hold on to.
    Main thing with Powell is he's an asset for this coming season and then that's it. Either he plays so badly that his value tanks and he opts into 2021 (in which case that's not an asset) or he continues playing well and he opts out and is a free agent next summer looking for a big raise.

And we may be the team to give him that raise, but likely only if we strike out entirely in FA and go to plan B of re-signing all our own free agents.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

If we keep FVV, then he'll be the PG of the future and the SG of the present. We'll continue to start both Lowry and FVV (the shortest backcourt in the league) for the foreseeable future, even though that's now known to be a problem to our offence vs certain matchups in the playoffs. I'd like to be wrong but knowing Nurse, backups will probably be McCaw and Norm for next year, with TD & Thomas getting irregular/spot minutes, slowing their development, on a log-jammed guard rotation. We'll probably lose a guard at some point in the next year to open this up but I don't think it's gonna be FVV.
      I forgot all about McCaw. Is he even going to be available? That injury happened and it was initially no big deal and then all of a sudden he wasn't even in Orlando and I haven't heard a thing about it since. Is he done?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Have to think Powell would get first crack at that unless they trade him too.
        I hope they can sell him on the role of a bench scorer but yeah he has seniority.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I forgot all about McCaw. Is he even going to be available? That injury happened and it was initially no big deal and then all of a sudden he wasn't even in Orlando and I haven't heard a thing about it since. Is he done?
          I don't know how long the recovery is for his procedure but he should be back at some point next season. He has a year left on his deal.

Comment

Is he good?
            i think he had a heart problem so he redshirted two years ago at UCLA had some decent games this past year.. still raw

Comment

I've been for trading Powell to gain cap space, but now I'm thinking hes on a very friendly deal in today's nba, he gets you 20 pts per 36 and has a few playoff Powell games every year, and can be a tweener between starting and bench scorer. Not a bad asset to hold on to.
              Yeah, depends what you want and whats available. Dont think he stays for another contract - I imagine he wants a big contract and starting role, neither of which I’d want to give him. Now would be the time to shop him to a western conference team, hed be great next to Doncic. As others have said, enough guys are ready for minutes at his position, if you can get good value for him its probably worth it. That being said, I have no problem with trying to put the best team out there next year.

Comment

• A title contender who needs bench scorer may ignite a bidding war of powell next deadline. Lakers would probably kill to have him right now. Problem is teams like that usually dont have good young players to give up and their draft picks arnt as valuable.
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• I think we might be over valuing our players a bit. Norm is going into his 6th season and is not a starter on a contender. I've heard Norm and FVV being talked about as a good fit next to Luka and I don't see it.... Norm anyways. Seth Curry and Hardaway jr are better shooters and that's what everyone wants these days. Dallas may want Serge as an back up C that can start and be an enforcer. Is there a sin and trade possibility with Serge?

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                    A title contender who needs bench scorer may ignite a bidding war of powell next deadline. Lakers would probably kill to have him right now. Problem is teams like that usually dont have good young players to give up and their draft picks arnt as valuable.
                    Norm, bidding war, Lakers kill to have him...hahaha, that's awesome!

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Norm, bidding war, Lakers kill to have him...hahaha, that's awesome!
                      Have you seen the roster? No one can even score. KCP is their 3rd best player most nights.
                      If Norm was on the lakers he would be getting almost every shot that lebron and davis dont take
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I think we might be over valuing our players a bit. Norm is going into his 6th season and is not a starter on a contender. I've heard Norm and FVV being talked about as a good fit next to Luka and I don't see it.... Norm anyways. Seth Curry and Hardaway jr are better shooters and that's what everyone wants these days. Dallas may want Serge as an back up C that can start and be an enforcer. Is there a sin and trade possibility with Serge?
                        Norm and Hardaway had very similar shooting numbers this year. Both shot 40% from 3, but Norm is a better free throw shooter and better 2pt shooter (better FG%). PPG are about the same (Norm 20 per 36, Hardaway 19). I've heard guys TNT comment during a game that if it wasn't for his injury, Norm would be a serious candidate for 6th man of the year, and they're right. If anything I think we actually have a reverse bias towards Norm because we've seen him have some bad years before, but this past one was the best he's ever had, and I'm sure other teams noticed.

He came off as a rotation player on a championship team, put the best season of his career the year after, and next season is poised to do the same or better, given is his contract year. Similar situation with Serge. Key rotation piece on championship team, then the following year puts the best season of his career shooting 51% from 3 in the playoffs with 4 attempts, as a Centre. If the league wants shooters these guys are it. I hope we don't undervalue them in trades just because we're tight for salary, these guys were key pieces on a championship team, if other teams want it I hope is for equally high-end return.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Always a chance, Powell would be the obvious piece to move in that case, but I would be surprised. This isn’t the draft to move up in.
                          The T-Wolves have two 1st round picks this year. #1 and #17. I'm willing to give up Powell for the 17th overall pick. The T-Wolves could use a player like Powell too. The Raptors also need to open up playing time for TD, Watson and Thomas next year. That's not gonna happen with Powell on the team.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post

The T-Wolves have two 1st round picks this year. #1 and #17. I'm willing to give up Powell for the 17th overall pick. The T-Wolves could use a player like Powell too. The Raptors also need to open up playing time for TD, Watson and Thomas next year. That's not gonna happen with Powell on the team.
                            Wolves are way over the cap, so hard to make that trade at the draft. Even if they agree at the draft and execute in FA, the Wolves mayyyybe have that much cap room to absorb his deal, but would probably prefer to keep their RFAs and operate over the cap.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post

When the games get tight, Nurse sees Lowry and FVV as 40MPG players, so that’s a paltry 16 backcourt minutes to split between Powell, TD, Watson and Thomas.

The main reason Powell and TD even got half-decent minutes this year was because Lowry and FVV were injured.

Not a lot of minutes to go around at the guard spots.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

When the games get tight, Nurse sees Lowry and FVV as 40MPG players, so that’s a paltry 16 backcourt minutes to split between Powell, TD, Watson and Thomas.

The main reason Powell and TD even got half-decent minutes this year was because Lowry and FVV were injured.

Not a lot of minutes to go around at the guard spots.
                                Powell plays the 3 primarily for us so he's not really jammed there. But definitely true of TD and Thomas. Watson if he gets an NBA deal would likely be a third stringer, getting his chances via injury.

40 MPG is playoff minutes, they rarely approached that in the regular season, so there are more minutes to go around most games at the guard spots anyway.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X