No announcement yet.

Everything Draft 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t think there’s a need to over-analyze the 59th pick haha. There’s always undrafted rookies available to sign
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
      I don’t think there’s a need to over-analyze the 59th pick haha. There’s always undrafted rookies available to sign
      And every one of them wants them a piece of that sweet, sweet Raptors player development.

Comment

• I hope nobody ever drops 81 on our new Jalen....

RIP KOBE

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
          Man the Flynn kid's gotta a LOT of range for a college player, wowzers. Quick release too for that age.

I know this probably won't ever happen, but can you imagine FVV, Thomas and the Flynn kid on the court at the same time for a sec? The floor would be spaced out as a football field. You add a strong high-power wing that's good a kicking out laser passes to these guys after collapsing the defence (Giannis/Lebron style), and it would rain for days.
          Just went and watched SDST in their conference championship game on YouTube (upset loss to Utah St. by 3), Flynn had a pretty rough night shooting but man he was good. Could tell he has range, was a half second late on two reads all game and guys a nightmare to score on. Play maker on both ends for sure - total Raptors pick. Seems like a hit - only concern is that although he can find his spots scoring on the PnR and creating off the dribble, hes probably going to struggle at the rim in the NBA. At 29 I take that.

As much as we look unbalanced on paper, we needed another ball handler - Nurse was using McCaw as the third pg. Flynn is already better than McCaw and could easily take all his minutes.

Now how in the world does Masai fill the big rotation?

Comment

• I noticed in the playoffs that we lacked players that could create their own shot. I think Flynn can do that. If March madness had been played, I think Malachi would’ve risen, he has a swagger to his game and plays at his own pace. I wasn’t over 5he moon with the pick but the more I watch him, the more I think it’s a good pick. Lowry isn’t going to be forever, but I see that Lowry game in this kid. Very pesky and crafty.

Comment

• How is everyone feeling about the Raptors draft after sleeping on it a bit?

I'm a big yay on Flynn. I think he's got some pop in him that will keep him in the league for a long time. The fact he can defend and shoot 3's as a PG is not easy to find. I mean look what the Bucks gave up for Jrue for example, and Jrue isn't that great at 3's. Now what I don't like is his height. 6'1 and you can see he struggles at the rim a bit in some of his plays. But I think he can overcome that. He's really smart in the paint. Can get guys really good looks. And is really patient. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder. If he was 2 inches taller and a year younger he would have been a top 5 pick IMO.

As for Harris. The one thing that stood out from reading on him is he's an athlete. Right now he doesn't seem like a good defender, but he's got the physical make up to be at least passable in that department. Again wish he was a bit taller. I think they list him at 6'5, but he feels a little shorter. 6'7 wingspan which is pretty good for a SG. He's got moves and I think he could replace what TD gave us. If we decide to part ways with TD. But he needs to be a lot better on defense to be given a real chance. Really the 59th pick is a hail mary anyway. Just go with it and hope for the best. I have zero expectations with this pick right now.

As a fit, it's weird since we have so many guards. Bobby in his radio rounds the other day was insinuating on just getting the BPA. So that's what they did in their minds. I don't have an issue with it, but the roster make up is so weird right now.

Looking forward to the silly season. Raptors need to make several moves to get this roster straightened out. Especially if Serge and Marc leave.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                “Disruptive defender”.

Raps have a lot of guards and no bigs.
                Raps have a lot of shorts and no bigs

Comment

• These picks certainly allow the front office to move Terence Davis (which I'm sure they're considering), but what I'm really hoping is that they allow the front office to move Patrick McCaw.

It does feel like there's no visible plan for the frontcourt (and in particular, for the center position), although maybe a plan will become more visible once it's clear what's happening with Gasol and Ibaka in free agency. We've been waiting on a bulkier Boucher for some time (and may have to just accept him for what he is), and my gut feeling on Hernandez is that he's probably another year away from meaningful backup minutes; if we lose one of Gasol or Ibaka this year, we start looking pretty thin up there...

Comment

• A Norm+TD or Norm+McCaw trade for a big seems like the next play right? That's an easy way to fix the weirdness of the roster.

Norm and McCaw make about $16M. Can get about a $20M contract with that. Any decent bigs available on 1 year deals that can start or come off the bench for $20M?

Comment

• I liked the draft. I was hoping for Tillman at 29, but Flynn was on a short list of guys I'd have been happy with based on the assessments of a bunch of smart draft people I follow. Seems like a really solid get.

Harris is sure an athlete and scorer, and if the Raptors are willing to bet on his defence there must be something there.

Intriguing (though I think ultimately meaningless) that the Raptors picked two guys who project as something similar to FVV and Norman Powell, considering the uncertain long term role of those two with the team. But plan A I think remains to re-sign FVV long term, and let Norm opt out in 2021 and keep his Bird Rights (along with Lowry's and whichever big they can convince to sign a one year) as a backup plan to landing a max salary difference maker.

Also intriguing is how they didn't draft for need even down at 59, where there were a couple interesting C's left on the board. They might go trawling for extra depth in the UDFA market but those guys are already getting snapped up and nothing from the Raps yet. Means they have to do something else at C if they want something in place for 2021. I wonder if maybe they might not want something in place - if Plan A is Giannis, maybe they are holding plan B as Gobert? In that case they'll want somebody cheap at the position, rather than a significant salary like an MLE signing, Serge long term signing, or solid starter acquired via trade (a la JV or Turner) - of course those options require losing FVV anyway.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm not a big fan of Gobert.. but if Utah doesn't think he's staying.. would they trade him? He's making $26M as an expiring contract.

Norm/McCaw/Johnson + FRP might do it.

Gives us a chance to see what its like with Gobert on the team for a year. If it doesn't work, well at least we can bail on that plan B. If it works, we can try to lock him up long term, assuming we can't get Giannis.

They drafted Udoka Azubuike. The guy with the really long wingspan who seems to be a bit of a monster in the paint. A good replacement for Gobert to be honest.

Comment

• I like the picks. For a change we draft a guy that is coming in as a shooter and he looks like he can contribute right away off the bench. Jalen reminds me of Norm in that he is an athlete so not expecting a tonne from that pick. Not too concerned with the lack of bigs right. I didn't want to see us address that issue through the draft anyway since any big we sign would have to play right away. That's a lot of pressure for a rookie big. Plus they are still looking at signing undrafted players.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            How is everyone feeling about the Raptors draft after sleeping on it a bit?
                            Okay but still a bit under whelmed. I always wonder if the preferred target was taken a pick or two prior to the Raps?
                            Flynn has male pattern baldness already; maybe he'll end up being lebron....

"The Raptors spoke to Flynn early in the pandemic, and then went to see him two weeks ago in Las Vegas, a trip that sealed the deal.

"He's a guy we really liked, and can come in and ... develop under the leadership of Kyle and Fred," Raptors GM Bobby Webster said. "Those are two guys for him to learn under."

FVV is coming back 100% guaranteed. I hope it's not an overpay because they have nothing else cookin'

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              A Norm+TD or Norm+McCaw trade for a big seems like the next play right? That's an easy way to fix the weirdness of the roster.

Norm and McCaw make about $16M. Can get about a $20M contract with that. Any decent bigs available on 1 year deals that can start or come off the bench for $20M?
                              First name I thought of was Steven Adams, but he makes 27M.

Also, Norm and McCaw combine for 14.9M this summer. Add Stan and it comes to 18.7M. Add TD and it's 20.2M. So anything under 25.35M coming back.

Gorgui Dieng in Memphis could get moved, though he's very much a backup. I doubt Charlotte is looking to move Cody Zeller.

LMA in SAS is interesting. Wonder what interest they would have in a deal? Expiring at 24M. Rudy Gobert is about 1M too much, we could add another piece like Dewan but then that's a 5 for 1 trade which is hard to make work from a roster standpoint and I don't know if that's nearly enough value, and obviously you wouldn't want to send out much in way of picks.

That's pretty much the list. The alternative is trying to leverage Norm's value in trade without leveraging his contract, go hunting for a young C on a rookie scale deal that a team might be looking to move. I'd sure be seeing if the Bulls would consider letting WCJ go for anything reasonable, including next year's 1st (say Norm, TD, 2021 1st).

Raps also have their full MLE - so if they see a lower value FA out there that is looking to sign for multiple years at 5M, they could try that, or could also pitch them on 10M per with only the first year guaranteed (would need to be careful with the 2021 guarantee date, probably mid July or the equivalent in whatever offseason we get next year), which would let them keep them if they strike out in 2021 and like what they bring or cut them to make room for a bigger signing.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Okay but still a bit under whelmed. I always wonder if the preferred target was taken a pick or two prior to the Raps?
                                Flynn has male pattern baldness already; maybe he'll end up being lebron....

"The Raptors spoke to Flynn early in the pandemic, and then went to see him two weeks ago in Las Vegas, a trip that sealed the deal.

"He's a guy we really liked, and can come in and ... develop under the leadership of Kyle and Fred," Raptors GM Bobby Webster said. "Those are two guys for him to learn under."

FVV is coming back 100% guaranteed. I hope it's not an overpay because they have nothing else cookin'
                                I think they let him walk if the Knicks do something silly. But that's really the only team left on the market for him. So it's possible they are smart and leverage him only up to about 20M, in which case the Raps keep him. But that seems unlikely, so the more likely outcome is one of: a) Knicks are dumb, sign FVV for 25M a year, bye Fred, or b) Knicks are dumb, don't try to sign him at all, and Fred has no market, re-signs to a team friendly deal in the high teens.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X