Is this the 2014-15 team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    Okay, riddle me this. If a great free agent opportunity comes along to upgrade the team, but the roster is full and the team is capped out and there are no trade partners available, then Masai could simply waive Hayes or Fields, eat the salary, pay the tax and sign the free agent no?

Something Doug Smith said in his blog got me thinking.

"Salaries have a way of evening out as the free agency season drones on, there might be relative bargains to be had in the next couple or three weeks and the Raptors remain pretty well set up to do what they have to do."

He's right. Bargains sometimes DO become available. TL has said many times that the team has no problem moving into luxury tax territory, so it a FA comes along that could move the needle, and could be had on a two year deal, Bell and Rogers might easily eat an extra $6-8.5 mill this year to acquire that FA. Or have I missed something in the CBA?

Once the logjam breaks there will be a flurry of signings. Some will be at headscratching prices (remember Josh Smith last year) and some bargins.

We are in position to sit and wait to see if a veteran centre is available at great price for us. I think we need to look at this because if JV goes down we are woefully short at that position. We can struggle through at the PG position as we have the ability to survive a 3 week injury with a content of Kyle / GV / Lou. I think not at centre if its Chuck and Bebe as the go to backups if JV got hurt. Maybe Amir but he is just not built for playing C night in and night out.

We will see after summer league if Bebe is capable of playing 5 -8 minutes a night or more and the decision to move on a C might be made then.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      by my count we have

summer 2015

Hansbrough 3.3m
      Hayes 5.9m
      Johnson 7.0m
      Fields 6.5m
      Camby 700k
      Buycks 800k
      Williams 5m
      roughly 28 million coming off the books with Amir Johnson (healthy-ish) only likely to be resigned

followed by summer 2016

Vasquez 6.8m
      Johnson 2.7m

9.5 million and another 9.5 if DeMar opts out (unless he is injured he likely will)

Dan H will have some tweaks to this but right now but assuming Kyle is level loaded on his 48M and with Johnston/GV signings and no commitment to Buckys we are in the range of 72.5M of committed salary this season. Gives us about 3.1 M to spend this year to get a backup C (Okafor ?) or re-up Buckys (at about 900K guaranteed one year ) to stay under the luxury tax.

2015-16 sees us landing in the 55.5M range of committed salary if GV's deal is guaranteed. This includes: Kyle/Demar/Amir/Tross/JV/Bruno/Bebe/Ppat/James Johnson/GV/Cap Hold for 1st round pick I assume we keep. Thats about 55.5M against the cap or about 8M to sign an FA with. We could clear an additional 7M by dropping Amir from the mix. So between 8 and 15M for FA to be signed and be under the cap.

We just drop the Camby hold and conventional opinion is that both Chuck and Landry are not coming back and decisions to be made on Tyler and Lou Williams to resign or walk away from as players on payroll that keep us under the tax apron of 77M.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
        We can't just "eat" 6-8.5M. Atm we can only offer a portion of the MLE (a little under 3M or so) at most to any free agent. The only way we could offer more than that is via a sign and trade involving our TPE or maybe Hayes/Fields if the other team got some assets along with them.
        Of course, I immediately thought of this after posting. If you "eat " the salary, it still counts. "Brain Fart"

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
          Bruno aint gonna play in our roster this year, in two years he will join the Raps and 2 more after that, he will improve
          Uhm... well they signed him to a rookie scale, which means he won't be draft/stashed, which makes it way more likely that he plays...
          @Boymusic66

Comment

I think we have our team set now as well and this was the last move. Over all, not a bad summer for Casey.
            He had two great signing which he will get an A from me : Lowry and Patterson
            He had two bad signing which he will get a C from me: James Johnson and G.V.

So now the questions will be:
            1) How much Big Val is going to improve this summer?
            2) Will Ross add to his game new things this summer the way DD did in the past?
            3) How ready is Bruno?
            4) Is J.J. all grown up now and will listen to Casey?
            5) Will Lou William take minutes away from G.V. and if yes, how will Vasquez react?
            6) Fileds ... ummm, no there is no hope for that guy's shot to come back. Never Mind.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
              Uhm... well they signed him to a rookie scale, which means he won't be draft/stashed, which makes it way more likely that he plays...
              Yeah no doubt he gets some legit burn this season. I can see him playing 10-15 mins.

Comment

Ross and JV are due extensions going into next summer yes?
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Did Ed Davis get signed?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                    Did Ed Davis get signed?

Last time I checked he was making progress with the Clippers.

He has no use coming back here tho, we have enough 4s.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                      Last time I checked he was making progress with the Clippers.

He has no use coming back here tho, we have enough 4s.
                      Yeah I know. But would hate to see him not on a team, you know

Comment

Yeah no doubt he gets some legit burn this season. I can see him playing 10-15 mins.
                        I think that's unlikely...at the very least that is a very optimistic outlook. I think he is on the roster so they can better control his development. But I highly doubt he sees the floor much. I expect alot of DNP's. This kid would have to explode this summer to get playing time next year. I expect James Johnson will see that 10-15 minutes before Bruno.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I think that's unlikely...at the very least that is a very optimistic outlook. I think he is on the roster so they can better control his development. But I highly doubt he sees the floor much. I expect alot of DNP's. This kid would have to explode this summer to get playing time next year. I expect James Johnson will see that 10-15 minutes before Bruno.
                          That's fair. I totally forgot about JJ when typing that. Yeah, it's been a long week.

Comment

That's fair. I totally forgot about JJ when typing that. Yeah, it's been a long week.
                            yeah, I only realized we signed him an hour or so ago, shortly after I made a post predicting how the rotations may work next season, without factoring him in of course.

Comment

What's pretty awesome is the age group of the roster.. we truly do have a young team now:

JV - 22
                              Amir - 27
                              Ross - 23
                              DeMar - 24
                              Lowry - 28
                              GV - 27
                              2Pat - 25
                              Lou W - 27
                              Tyler H - 28
                              Bruno - 18
                              Bebe - 21
                              Hayes - 31
                              JJ - 27
                              Fields - 26
                              *Buycks - 25

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                What's pretty awesome is the age group of the roster.. we truly do have a young team now:

JV - 22
                                Amir - 27
                                Ross - 23
                                DeMar - 24
                                Lowry - 28
                                GV - 27
                                2Pat - 25
                                Lou W - 27
                                Tyler H - 28
                                Bruno - 18
                                Bebe - 21
                                Hayes - 31
                                JJ - 27
                                Fields - 26
                                *Buycks - 25
                                Very true but also with the benefit of having a mature 27,24 and 28 in Amir, DeMar and Lowry. There's no Timmy D but that's some leadership growing.

Comment

Working...
                                X