Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like NBPA will not agree to cap smoothing.

LeBron about to get paid like a fucking baseball player

Comment

• Comment

• The downside there, though, is that players in the free-agent class of 2016 will benefit disproportionately from the new TV money. Even teams that have been dealing with luxury-tax concerns will be free and clear under the new cap number, for that one glorious summer.

In fact, only seven teams have $40 million or more committed past next year—Chicago, Golden State, Houston, the Clippers, New York, Oklahoma City, and Washington. Of those, only the Clippers (at about $58 million) are over $50 million in commitments.

That means that 23 teams currently have the potential to enter the 2016 free-agency period with at least $50 million in cap space. Six figure to have around $40 million. And one will have almost $30 million.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...dwight-howard-
        2016 is going to make 2010 look boring.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          To be fair, a lot of that will disappear with rookie scale extensions and cap holds for RFA's and draft picks, which I'm sure are not accounted for there, but it still projects as significantly more insane than 2010 was.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Depending how it all plays out, some teams could wind up looking very strategic in hind-sight, if they decided to dabble in free agency this coming offseason and/or the 2017 offseason, avoiding what is surely going to be an extreme crazy, unpredictable, over-paying 2016 offseason.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Depending how it all plays out, some teams could wind up looking very strategic in hind-sight, if they decided to dabble in free agency this coming offseason and/or the 2017 offseason, avoiding what is surely going to be an extreme crazy, unpredictable, over-paying 2016 offseason.
              When everyone yings ya gotta yang.

Comment

• will still be the haves and have nots.

nothing changes

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  The 2017 offseason is going to have the unpredictability of the CBA negotiation, though. While I think the most likely result is a half-season lost (and a short free-agency period before the season starts), both sides are making preparations to last through a longer lockout and I could see the whole season being wiped out... which is going to suck for teams that went all-in on a win now strategy and lose a year of their players' prime. You don't want to be the 1994 Expos, where your championship opportunity is destroyed by a work stoppage. I can't begin to imagine what the ideal strategy for roster management is leading into 2017, but I'd lean toward trying to put together a team that will peak in 2018-19 or later.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...2017-18-season

New league projections.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Cap room this summer up to 22.4M (!!!) after the Grievis trade.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Cap room this summer up to 22.4M (!!!) after the Grievis trade.
                        Dan: doesn't this create huge TPE right now as well? Like around $8m?

Comment

• TPE right now is 6.5M. But will need to disappear by July 10th if they want any cap space.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• There is the option of re-signing or sign-and-trading Amir/Lou (for what, I don't know, but maybe with a pick or two it could be significant), staying over the cap, using the TPE to trade for a SnT guy (Joseph?) and then adding a role player with the MLE.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

There is the option of re-signing or sign-and-trading Amir/Lou (for what, I don't know, but maybe with a pick or two it could be significant), staying over the cap, using the TPE to trade for a SnT guy (Joseph?) and then adding a role player with the MLE.
                              With 2015/16 Salary Cap is projected at $67.3 million , the Raptors with the trade has 9 players including first pick at $43.6 million plus 2.4 million for slot space allowing $21.3 million for free agency and to sign Thaddeus Young and sign a SF and $5 million for a backup center

Comment

TPE right now is 6.5M. But will need to disappear by July 10th if they want any cap space.
                                Ok.

I misunderstood calculation of it. Thought 125%+100k.

Anyways, for teams looking to shed salary, like Miami, that could come in handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X