Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
    Dan , thank you, that clarifies if people want Markief Morris, they most trade $4.4 million in players - ie. JJ plus Bebe . Can a TPE for that amount be beneficial in the players place?
    Well, Phoenix is trying to clear cap space (I think?) so the TPE would be waived to clear cap space. If they didn't use their cap space (signed their own players, MLE, etc) then the TPE acts as a cap-clearing tradable asset.

    We'd have to have that amount in cap space to make that deal of course, and we might be a little short even after waiving Nando (which I really don't want to do in the first place).

    Can Nando's rights be included in such a deal, btw?

    Comment


    • Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
      Dan , thank you, that clarifies if people want Markief Morris, they most trade $4.4 million in players - ie. JJ plus Bebe . Can a TPE for that amount be beneficial in the players place?
      JJ plus BeBe won't cut it. First, they only add to 4.3M. Second, when you trade 2 players for 1, an additional roster slot hold is charged to your cap, meaning you essentially need to send out (4.4M + 525k) to make it work. Hence JJ/Ross or Ross/BeBe.

      You are better off at that point to use that cap space on a free agent and rely on the 150% + 100k trade rule - both the deals I listed fit that.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        Do we know that Hansbrough's rights have been waived? What was his cap hold?
        Hansbrough's cap hold is tough to know. It would be 104.5% of the average salary from last year, but I don't have that info. If we assume the MLE is a good estimate for it, then the cap hold would be 5.7M. Could be a bit higher though. In any case, we do not have the room to keep that hold in place.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Well, Phoenix is trying to clear cap space (I think?) so the TPE would be waived to clear cap space. If they didn't use their cap space (signed their own players, MLE, etc) then the TPE acts as a cap-clearing tradable asset.

          We'd have to have that amount in cap space to make that deal of course, and we might be a little short even after waiving Nando (which I really don't want to do in the first place).

          Can Nando's rights be included in such a deal, btw?
          As I noted in my response to HD, we can use the 150% + 100k rule for salary matching instead of cap space, so we wouldn't have to waive Nando. Though personally I doubt he ever comes back over, so I'd rather use the cap space on another free agent.

          Nando's rights cannot be traded. Only draft rights can be traded.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • Turns out I was right about DD's contract amount being 9,500,000 and not 10,050,000. Wolstat just tweeted that to me, so I guess his NBA source double checked.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              Turns out I was right about DD's contract amount being 9,500,000 and not 10,050,000. Wolstat just tweeted that to me, so I guess his NBA source double checked.
              That means the Raptors have 4.15 million in cap room! Why dont they trade JJ+Bebe +1st for Markieff
              Last edited by Heatdreamer; Tue Jul 7, 2015, 10:35 PM.

              Comment


              • Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                That means the Raptors have 4.15 million in cap room!
                So does that mean they can absorb 8M with Ridnour?

                Comment


                • DanH:

                  Can raps sign Carroll and Joseph
                  Then trade Amir to Boston in Rondo TPE
                  Then use Room exception to sign Biymobo


                  With those events, Does the signing of Amir create an approximate $12m TPE?

                  Comment


                  • No, they cannot do that. To sign and trade Amir, you either need cap space to sign him or his Bird Rights (Bird due to the amount for which he signed, Early Bird or just having his non-Bird Rights wouldn't cut it). First option, cap space: if they waive Amir's rights (and cap hold) they would need to execute the first two signings and still have 12M in cap room. They only have 4M or so. Not enough. Second option: to keep Amir's Bird Rights, they must keep his cap hold of about 10M on the cap. So they then start the offseason with only 12.5M in cap space, enough to sign Joseph but not Carroll.

                    However, in the hypothetical where you had a player with a very low cap hold and could indeed fit transactions like that in that order, yes, you would generate a TPE.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • "The NBA salary cap was set Wednesday for next season at $70 million, a higher-than-expected number that paves the way for free agent contracts to be signed. The league said the cap increased by 11 percent from last season's $63.1 million and the 2015-16 cap will be the highest ever - though it will be shattered next summer. It had been projected to come in closer to $67 million until recently."

                      http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-201...7083--nba.html

                      This should help the front office breathe a tad easier.

                      Comment


                      • DanH wrote: View Post
                        No, they cannot do that. To sign and trade Amir, you either need cap space to sign him or his Bird Rights (Bird due to the amount for which he signed, Early Bird or just having his non-Bird Rights wouldn't cut it). First option, cap space: if they waive Amir's rights (and cap hold) they would need to execute the first two signings and still have 12M in cap room. They only have 4M or so. Not enough. Second option: to keep Amir's Bird Rights, they must keep his cap hold of about 10M on the cap. So they then start the offseason with only 12.5M in cap space, enough to sign Joseph but not Carroll.

                        However, in the hypothetical where you had a player with a very low cap hold and could indeed fit transactions like that in that order, yes, you would generate a TPE.
                        What am I missing from here then?

                        A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced, as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons3. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 33).
                        Ahhhhhh, never mind you can renounce but still need cap space. Dammit. So stupid and blinded by way of finding a advantage for raps.

                        Comment


                        • I'm hearing that Biyombo has signed, which means Scola has as well. Also means they won't be using the rest of their cap room, so they are keeping de Colo's rights.

                          Also means any second rounders signed will be with the minimum exception. I hope they do 1 year deals if that's the case, because there's a smaller chance they do anything in the first year to get an offer sheet, and then you can sign them to a 2 year deal at the minimum after that to get to the 3 year Bird RFA summer.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • Deandre Daniels is toast for the year, Powell looks like the scorer we want TRoss to be. So congrats to Powell who will push TRoss to be traded.

                            Comment


                            • Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                              Deandre Daniels is toast for the year, Powell looks like the scorer we want TRoss to be. So congrats to Powell who will push TRoss to be traded.
                              Powell can't shoot. If anything there is someone in Mississauga who could replace DeMar if he learns to pass and fill in for Lowry

                              Comment


                              • Gotta remember that Powell is playing in SUMMER LEAGUE. The a lot of these teams are fielding several players that are not even NBA-level talents.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X