Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    Yeah, it does.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Seems most of those assumptions are right, if Basketball insiders is trustworthy (they are the second best out there, and Sham is pending some serious updates and seemingly a whole new website). 14.05M for Carroll, 7M even for Joseph.

DeRozan came in at 10.05M, which means he had several incentives and not just 1, and that he met some of them but not all.

So, if the cap is 67.1M, we have 1.6M in cap room. If 69.1M, 3.6M in cap room.
    And that includes Ridnour waived?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Seems most of those assumptions are right, if Basketball insiders is trustworthy (they are the second best out there, and Sham is pending some serious updates and seemingly a whole new website). 14.05M for Carroll, 7M even for Joseph.

DeRozan came in at 10.05M, which means he had several incentives and not just 1, and that he met some of them but not all.

So, if the cap is 67.1M, we have 1.6M in cap room. If 69.1M, 3.6M in cap room.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Run down of assumptions:

Cap is 69.1M (this rumoured instead of projected 67.1M).
    Carroll's deal backloaded, so starts at 14.05M (could be flat, starting at 15M)
    Joseph's deal backloaded, so starts at 7.03M (could be flat starting at 7.5M)

These assumptions results in 4.1M in cap space left.

If all are wrong, no cap space left.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    No, we could not, as Lou's cap hold takes up cap space, and therefore we would have to match salaries in a trade.

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
    If the 13 total salaries net less than the projected salary cap of $69.1 million, I believe you may resign your free agents .
    That's what I thought. Not including Bismack I believe

Leave a comment:

• Heatdreamer
    replied
    If the 13 total salaries net less than the projected salary cap of $69.1 million, I believe you may resign your free agents .

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    Hey Dan, can we keep the rights to Lou if we acquire someone via S&T?

For example, had Wes not signed with Dallas, could we have done Ross for Wes and then used our bird rights to resign Lou?

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Has to wait two months after the most recent trade to be dealt in combination with other salaries. He can be traded back to his old team as it is a new year.

That's moot though, as he'll be waived on the 10th if they can't find a taker for him by then, I'm sure.
    Thanks.

You've made me lazy with looking things up.

And for that I thank you.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Hey Dan.

Now that July 1st has rolled around, do the restrictions on Luke Ridnour change?

i.e. can he be packaged with other players or does he have still to wait the 2 months? And can he be traded back to a team who held his contract prior to July 1st?
    Has to wait two months after the most recent trade to be dealt in combination with other salaries. He can be traded back to his old team as it is a new year.

That's moot though, as he'll be waived on the 10th if they can't find a taker for him by then, I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Hey Dan.

Now that July 1st has rolled around, do the restrictions on Luke Ridnour change?

i.e. can he be packaged with other players or does he have still to wait the 2 months? And can he be traded back to a team who held his contract prior to July 1st?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Depending on how Carroll's deal is structured, Raps now have between 7.9 and 8.9 M in cap room. Add 2M to those if the cap comes in at 69 as the rumours suggest it will. So potentially up to 10.9M in cap room to grab a starting 4.

A note: if Aldridge proves plausible, moves can be made to clear cap room. For example, Patterson to Orlando for a pick (probably a second rounder or something) seems feasible, as they were interested last year and have struck out so far in their bids for floor spreading bigs. Then JJ or Ross as a cap dump would clear enough room to make a max offer to Aldridge.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Yeah, Aldridge would definitely change the game. That said, not confident we can land him. He would suddenly make this team a legit East Contender (if we can fix the defence).

But IF we can, not sure how his contract would work with opt outs and bird rights. So let's say he signs here but with the opt outs (ala LeBron) to take advantage of the new cap figures next year (or the year after), since we wouldn't have had LA for 3 years yet, we wouldn't own his bird rights. So does that mean we would need to keep cap space to re-sign him at said opt out?

That would limit flexibility to really go "all-in" around a primed LA, & KL (& DD for arguments sake).
    If LMA wants a 1 year deal, yes, we'd need to make sure we have the cap space to give him a raise, as all our rights to him would afford us is a 5% raise.

And it certainly would limit flexibility. Though building around those 3 would be unaffected - if you wanted to let DD walk to go after a superstar though, that plan might be impacted.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    CBS reporting that league cap could come in 2M higher than projected. Would really help the Raptors.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Dudes, there are multiple threads to discuss this and this isn't one of them.

Dan, any clarity on the whole opt out clause vs bird rights scenario I posed earlier on here?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X