Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Dan, wasn't Norm signed to a 3 year term and do we not have his full bird rights.
    We do, we had to use cap space to be able to do it. It looks like in future teams won't have to set aside cap space or the MLE to be able to sign their 2nd rounders to long term deals.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • BTW, Dan's put up some analysis of the impact of the new CBA and the Raptors on that 'other' Raptors' website

      Comment


      • Mostly descriptive this week - next week I'll be going into the nitty gritty and outlining this summer in detail, and I'll post a breakdown here when I do. Of course, views over there are always welcome.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • Question Re the new CBA and trading a player now eligible for an extension.
          Let's assume I'm talking about Cousins.

          If Sac-town offers Cousins a Supermax this summer and he says "no", it proves he does not want to re-sign there. Sacremento would then have a chance to trade him so he does not leave for nothing the following summer.

          Could a team trade for Cousins in the summer of 2017 and immediately sign him to a contract extension? My impression is that it could not be a super max as he's been traded. But can a traded player be extended a year early now?

          This would likely benefit everyone as the receiving team could come to an agreement and not worry about him being a one year rental.

          Comment


          • Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
            Question Re the new CBA and trading a player now eligible for an extension.
            Let's assume I'm talking about Cousins.

            If Sac-town offers Cousins a Supermax this summer and he says "no", it proves he does not want to re-sign there. Sacremento would then have a chance to trade him so he does not leave for nothing the following summer.

            Could a team trade for Cousins in the summer of 2017 and immediately sign him to a contract extension? My impression is that it could not be a super max as he's been traded. But can a traded player be extended a year early now?

            This would likely benefit everyone as the receiving team could come to an agreement and not worry about him being a one year rental.
            If this is the case it only benefits the Kings as more teams would be willing to gamble on him. Although it might also give cousins some leverage to simply tell teams he doesn't want to play for that he would not sign an extension.

            Very interested to see if this is actually possible or not.

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              We do, we had to use cap space to be able to do it. It looks like in future teams won't have to set aside cap space or the MLE to be able to sign their 2nd rounders to long term deals.
              Considering MU needed to use their elusive cap space to get bird rights on an unproven 2nd rounder I'd say that shows tremendous foresight from Raptors management. Well done MU, well done.

              Comment


              • Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                Question Re the new CBA and trading a player now eligible for an extension.
                Let's assume I'm talking about Cousins.

                If Sac-town offers Cousins a Supermax this summer and he says "no", it proves he does not want to re-sign there. Sacremento would then have a chance to trade him so he does not leave for nothing the following summer.

                Could a team trade for Cousins in the summer of 2017 and immediately sign him to a contract extension? My impression is that it could not be a super max as he's been traded. But can a traded player be extended a year early now?

                This would likely benefit everyone as the receiving team could come to an agreement and not worry about him being a one year rental.
                Nothing's concrete until we see the legalese, but there are no reports of the extend and trade rules changing, which means a team would still have to wait 6 months to offer a good extension. The supermax extension would definitely not be an option, as it is only for players who are with the team they've been with since their rookie deal.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • RDV wrote: View Post
                  Considering MU needed to use their elusive cap space to get bird rights on an unproven 2nd rounder I'd say that shows tremendous foresight from Raptors management. Well done MU, well done.
                  It's generally a good idea. You're talking about half a million in cap room versus long term control. Smart teams find cap room to make that offer. It's part of why I don't buy the logic that the team is really in on Van Vleet - they did not make a similar effort to sign him to a three year deal - he's only locked in for two.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • Quick summary of the salary cap situation for the draft and summer. Blue is a cap hold (for a free agent), red is non-guaranteed salary.

                    DeMar DeRozan $26,540,100 $27,739,975
                    Jonas Valanciunas $14,382,023 $15,460,675
                    DeMarre Carroll $14,200,000 $14,800,000
                    Kyle Lowry $12,000,000 $18,000,000
                    Serge Ibaka $12,250,000 $18,375,000
                    Cory Joseph $7,315,000 $7,630,000
                    Patrick Patterson $6,050,000 $11,495,000
                    PJ Tucker $5,300,000 $10,070,000
                    Jakob Poeltl $2,703,960 $2,825,640
                    Lucas (BeBe) Nogueira $1,921,320 $2,947,305
                    Bruno Caboclo $1,589,640 $2,451,225
                    Delon Wright $1,577,280 $1,645,200
                    Pascal Siakam $1,196,040 $1,312,611
                    Norman Powell $874,636 $1,471,382
                    Fred Van Vleet $543,471 $1,312,611
                    Nando de Colo $1,901,900
                    Pick 23 2017 cap hold $1,645,200
                    Jason Thompson $2,106,470
                    Roster slot $543,471 $815,615
                    Total committed (including pick, Powell and VV; not including FA cap holds): $81,241,824

                    Cap is projected at 101M. Tax is projected at 121M.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • Is there any reason Masai wouldn't keep all the free agent cap holds going into free agency (other than de colo or thompson)? Obviously you cant sign all those guys but is there any reason to renounce them?

                      Comment


                      • DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                        Is there any reason Masai wouldn't keep all the free agent cap holds going into free agency (other than de colo or thompson)? Obviously you cant sign all those guys but is there any reason to renounce them?
                        If you want cap space, you have to renounce them. If you don't want to use cap space, no, no reason.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • Co-wrote a series of articles on this summer, if you are interested:

                          http://www.raptorshq.com/2017/5/9/15...baka-all-leave
                          http://www.raptorshq.com/2017/5/10/1...rson-pj-tucker
                          http://www.raptorshq.com/2017/5/11/1...-doors-options
                          http://www.raptorshq.com/2017/5/12/1...ons-kyle-lowry

                          And was a guest on a podcast to discuss those articles and the Raptors' summer in general, if you want to hear me drone on about cap stuff, among other things:

                          https://www.almightyballer.com/we-th...aniel-hackett/
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            Hey look at that, actually got an answer to this. He's not eligible (having been traded after his rookie scale deal). So, back to plan A, re-signing him in FA to a 4 or 5 year deal.
                            Would a trade for Russell + Deng for Joseph + JV+ Carroll+ Sikiam+ 1st Round pick in 2018,
                            Joseph backs up Lakers PG pick in 2017 (Ball, Smith) JV is a better center than Mozgov, who can be traded and Carroll backs up Ingram. Sikiam backup for Randle.
                            Last edited by Heatdreamer; Thu May 18th, 2017, 03:39 PM.

                            Comment


                            • SAY, Masai is sticking with this roster, and as some interpreted from his comments after the sweep, that he's going to sign and bring everyone back, Raps will be in deep cap tax situation. What are the probabilities that MLSE has given Masai the green light to go into tax?

                              Comment


                              • Rand wrote: View Post
                                SAY, Masai is sticking with this roster, and as some interpreted from his comments after the sweep, that he's going to sign and bring everyone back, Raps will be in deep cap tax situation. What are the probabilities that MLSE has given Masai the green light to go into tax?
                                I expect they have given him the green light for the tax. But there's paying tax, and there's setting records for how much tax you are paying, and if he brings everyone back, it will be the latter. Even if they are open to paying tax (and I suspect ownership is but Masai probably isn't), odds are it's more along the lines of going 15M or so into the tax, not 40M into the tax (as the tax bills would be roughly 20-25M in the former, and nearly 120M in the latter).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X