Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 4.5% increases assumed by the NBA are increases in non-TV deal income. So not an expected 4.5% increase overall. It may well increase by that much, but a) they are not "on a roll" as this year they exceeded the projection but the prior year they didn't and b) that is not what they are predicting, and they know their revenue streams better than anyone.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      The 4.5% increases assumed by the NBA are increases in non-TV deal income. So not an expected 4.5% increase overall. It may well increase by that much, but a) they are not "on a roll" as this year they exceeded the projection but the prior year they didn't and b) that is not what they are predicting, and they know their revenue streams better than anyone.
      Soooooo....

What you're saying here....

If I assume correctly....

Is that the Raptors will indeed sign KD?

Comment

Agreed, that's my expectation as well.

Though it should be noted they would have room for 7-9 year vet max, not the true max.
        Just wondering:
        Is it possible to slightly "change order" of signings next year:
        1. Demar has a cap hold of 14+ mil -wait;
        2. Sign Durant or Horford (if possible);
        3. Then officially sign JVal to 14+ mil Extension;
        4. Resign Demar to market value (my guess 20-25 mil).
        Even with all of the above we should be UNDER luxury tax, so there has to be a way.

Comment

• JV has been officially signed. That's over with.

Even if he hadn't been, between his 12M cap hold and DeMar's 15M cap hold, there would only be about 12M in cap room left over for Durant.

So, no, there doesn't have to be a way.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

JV has been officially signed. That's over with.

Even if he hadn't been, between his 12M cap hold and DeMar's 15M cap hold, there would only be about 12M in cap room left over for Durant.

So, no, there doesn't have to be a way.
            Sorry, I know.
            I was hoping you'd tell me what I wanted to hear.

Comment

• There is a way it just involves trading away other players.

It's not unheard of. Morey, who is basically Masai's Western Conference doppleganger, traded away Lin and Asik who were both very valuable role players for the Rockets in 2014 so he could make a run at LeBron, Bosh, Lowry, etc. Both guys were still owed 8.4M the next season (2014-15).

Asik played 20mpg backing up and sometimes playing alongside D12, while Lin logged just shy of 30.

EDIT: Asik was actually traded as part of the Ariza signing, but to me that's an indication Morey would've been willing to dump him if necessary.
              Last edited by JWash; Wed Aug 26, 2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Yes, traded away in advance - ie before they signed a big name. It is the only way to do it without bleeding assets (heck look at the cost for Golden State when they wanted to make the Iggy signing a sign and trade). So it is a huge risk - trade away a big chunk of our depth just in case Durant signs with us? Sounds like a terrible plan to me.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, traded away in advance - ie before they signed a big name. It is the only way to do it without bleeding assets (heck look at the cost for Golden State when they wanted to make the Iggy signing a sign and trade). So it is a huge risk - trade away a big chunk of our depth just in case Durant signs with us? Sounds like a terrible plan to me.
                  It's what the Kings did by sending Stauskas to Philly with two overpaid PF

Comment

Yes, traded away in advance - ie before they signed a big name. It is the only way to do it without bleeding assets (heck look at the cost for Golden State when they wanted to make the Iggy signing a sign and trade). So it is a huge risk - trade away a big chunk of our depth just in case Durant signs with us? Sounds like a terrible plan to me.
                    But if Masai wants to keep DeRozan and get DD then he'd likely go that route or try to do it after perhaps at least.

Not saying he does, just saying that he could and would have to adjust in that case.

Comment

• If Masai wanted to keep DD and get Durant he probably would not have signed so many long term deals eating into 2016 cap room.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If Masai wanted to keep DD and get Durant he probably would not have signed so many long term deals eating into 2016 cap room.
                        Yeah I wonder why Morey signed Lin and Asik to deals that ate into 2014 cap room when he wanted to sign LeBron.... wait...

Comment

• Probably because they were RFA's and couldn't be signed to shorter deals at a price that wouldn't be matched?

Patterson could have been signed on a shorter deal. Heck, Powell could have been signed to a shorter deal. Why give Biyombo a player option if control in 2016 is so key?
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Probably because they were RFA's and couldn't be signed to shorter deals at a price that wouldn't be matched?

Patterson could have been signed on a shorter deal. Heck, Powell could have been signed to a shorter deal. Why give Biyombo a player option if control in 2016 is so key?
                            Because you can't bet it all on getting KD?

You yourself have said that you don't even think 2016 is the ultimate target. Why the sudden switch now?

Comment

Probably because they were RFA's and couldn't be signed to shorter deals at a price that wouldn't be matched?

If Biyombo can't do better than 1 yr @ 3M with the cap rise he might be out of the league

Comment

• I don't think 2016 is the target and the past few posts are reasons why. If you are planning on DD + KD, you leave room to be able to do it, or to pull it off with small trades. Not by putting yourself in a situation where you have to make significant moves to clear the cap space.

If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X