Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    You just need to not pick up Bebe's team option and let Biyombo walk (or trade him if he picks up his PO). Not that complicated. It's no different than what we have to do if we let DD walk.
    Bebe's team option is for $1,921,320.. you will need to get rid of at least another $1.1M contract (like Wright or Bruno) on top of that (with Biyombo) if you want max space and if you want to move Lowry instead of DD.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Oh my goodness. "Lowry is no better defensively than DeMar."

We've officially reached the point where reason is no longer required in this debate.
      Really DanH??

D.J Augustine..... Jarrett Jack.......How many PGs (also backup PGs) lit us up last year???

Ridiculous post. Lowry is overrated defensively. Ross guards his assignment on many occasions. Nice try though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        Really DanH??

D.J Augustine..... Jarrett Jack.......How many PGs (also backup PGs) lit us up last year???

Ridiculous post. Lowry is overrated defensively. Ross guards his assignment on many occasions. Nice try though.

You mean when Lowry was playing injured? I mean, you did neglect to include that part. And happened WAY less than you're implying as those are really the only two that I could think of.

And even taking that into account, Lowry's defensive numbers are still pretty damn good and, even relatively speaking, are better than Demar's. So while Lowry's defensive numbers did go down this year (and for a pretty damn good reason), comparing him to Demar is just...you can't support it with facts.
        Last edited by Just Is; Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:54 AM.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          You mean when Lowry was playing injured? I mean, you did neglect to include that part. And happened WAY less than you're implying as those are really the only two that I could think of.
          What? He was injured when Augustine lit him up (I swear on more than one occasion)? Jarrett Jack.... Maybe.

The point still stands.

Lowry is overrated defensively. He gambles quite a bit and has trouble keeping other PGs in front of him.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
            What? He was injured when Augustine lit him up (I swear on more than one occasion)? Jarrett Jack.... Maybe.

The point still stands.

Lowry is overrated defensively. He gambles quite a bit and has trouble keeping other PGs in front of him.

He was playing injured for most of the second half and parts of the first. He only sat out games when he couldn't play with them.
            Last edited by Just Is; Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:58 AM.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Yikes I really didn't want to turn this into a Lowry vs. DeRozan debate, but it looks like that's where this is headed.

Comment

Yikes I really didn't want to turn this into a Lowry vs. DeRozan debate, but it looks like that's where this is headed.
                It can't go there.

Lowry doesn't have the size or quickness to be the defensive player these guys make him out to be.

When healthy he's very good at drawing charges....no debate there.

Comment

• If Demar wants to be a part of this team and also wants this team to make a play for a KD/Horford level max salary, there is really only one strategy for he and his agent to take, and that is to have Demar pick up his option. We'd still need to figure out which signed players to renounce as free agents and which to trade away, but that would at least allow us to retain a few of our current value-priced backups.

I expect that if Demar and his agent have not already worked this out, that Masai will be certain to discuss all of the various scenarios around this with Demar's agent in the future, if Masai hasn't done so already.

All that being said, however, the choice is not as cut-and-dried as this makes it sound. Demar is likely to get a max contract *somewhere* if he opts out, and having his next contract signed gives him added security that may prove to be irresistible. If Demar does pick up his option instead of opting out, however, you can be pretty sure that the Raptors will be looking to add another marquee free agent elsewhere.

Comment

• Anyone can see this team is built for post demar.

The evolution is underway.

Look at who Ujiri signs.
                    Look at payroll structure for next summer.
                    Look at roster composition.

Sorry guys. Denial is the first step to acceptance.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Anyone can see this team is built for post demar.

The evolution is underway.

Look at who Ujiri signs.
                      Look at payroll structure for next summer.
                      Look at roster composition.

Sorry guys. Denial is the first step to acceptance.
                      All I can say is we shall see. Looking through some old posts in the DeRozan thread, I can see posters have been wrong about him... a lot. It's nice to make predictions, but every year there's a new reason why DD should get moved or will get moved and it never happens.

Your idea really depends on what perspective you're looking at the whole situation from. One could also say that the writing is on the wall for Lowry. Unlike DeRozan we have a viable replacement at the same position already. Also he can actually still be moved for value because he's signed next year. And, unlike in the case of DeRozan we can hedge our bets with Lowry and hold onto him until we get Durant's signature, so if KD doesn't sign we can still keep him. However with DeRozan it's all or nothing, because making no attempt to sign him at the start of the window will result in him signing elsewhere (which you obviously want but isn't particularly smart asset management). Oh and by the time Jonas hits his prime Lowry will be on a steep decline, and re-signing him in 2017 could prove to be very risky.

If you want DeRozan gone it's really easy to connect the dots and see how the writing on the wall is for him, by ignoring all other possibilities and that's fine. All we can really do is wait until 2016 FA (or perhaps some kind of in-season trade) and see what happens.

The difference is I at least recognize that letting DD walk to try and sign KD is a possibility (however I don't see it happening), whereas you consider it to be the ONLY possibility when it clearly isn't. We'll see how it all goes down.

Comment

...The difference is I at least recognize that letting DD walk to try and sign KD is a possibility (however I don't see it happening), whereas you consider it to be the ONLY possibility when it clearly isn't. We'll see how it all goes down.
                        I really can't wait to see how Ujiri manages this whole process. It seems clear that Masai has something in mind. His trades, signings have been deliberate and sort of out of left field, but seem to follow a pattern (I'm not quite sure what pattern yet). Is it for a post-DeMar team or for a re-signed DeMar team. Hard to say. Great times to be a Raptor fan.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          I really can't wait to see how Ujiri manages this whole process. It seems clear that Masai has something in mind. His trades, signings have been deliberate and sort of out of left field, but seem to follow a pattern (I'm not quite sure what pattern yet). Is it for a post-DeMar team or for a re-signed DeMar team. Hard to say. Great times to be a Raptor fan.
                          Certain patterns have emerged, such as:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...or-in-a-player

DD doesn't fit that pattern - just saying.

Neither does Ross.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I don't think 2016 is the target and the past few posts are reasons why. If you are planning on DD + KD, you leave room to be able to do it, or to pull it off with small trades. Not by putting yourself in a situation where you have to make significant moves to clear the cap space.

If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved.
                            Precisely.
                            I think it's safe to assume (and we've beaten this to death) NEITHER Demare nor KD are playing 4.
                            So, what options are left for SG, SF, PF?
                            -Forget about KD;
                            -Resign Demar & forget about KD;
                            -Let Demar go & sign KD (if interested of course. Now, i would be cautions about approaching KD, because if I am Demar I'd vvew it as DD being 2nd option)
                            -Resign Demar & go after Horford (personally, I think this is the best fit NEXT year (I'd be intrigued by Morris at 4 in interim to see if it works);
                            I suppose there are other possibilities (trade Carrolle...)

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
                              If Demar wants to be a part of this team and also wants this team to make a play for a KD/Horford level max salary, there is really only one strategy for he and his agent to take, and that is to have Demar pick up his option. We'd still need to figure out which signed players to renounce as free agents and which to trade away, but that would at least allow us to retain a few of our current value-priced backups.

I expect that if Demar and his agent have not already worked this out, that Masai will be certain to discuss all of the various scenarios around this with Demar's agent in the future, if Masai hasn't done so already.

All that being said, however, the choice is not as cut-and-dried as this makes it sound. Demar is likely to get a max contract *somewhere* if he opts out, and having his next contract signed gives him added security that may prove to be irresistible. If Demar does pick up his option instead of opting out, however, you can be pretty sure that the Raptors will be looking to add another marquee free agent elsewhere.
                              Why in the world would he do that (unless he suffers a devastating injury which would necessitate missing most of following season)?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                Certain patterns have emerged, such as:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...or-in-a-player

DD doesn't fit that pattern - just saying.

Neither does Ross.
                                How would you feel about Batum as DD replacement? Espetially, considering his "innuendos" about liking to play in To (this appears to follow that "invisible" pattern much better).

Comment

Working...
                                X