Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    That's a hard sell for those two to re-sign though. "We couldn't win anything with you two alongside one of the best players to ever play the game. But we think we can win big time with you two but without him."
    True.

Who knows, maybe Westbrook wants a team built around him

Comment

That's a hard sell for those two to re-sign though. "We couldn't win anything with you two alongside one of the best players to ever play the game. But we think we can win big time with you two but without him."
      If we decide to let Demar go and use our cap space we still have a couple exceptions correct?

Bi-annual hasn't been used since we used it on JJ I believe
      And the 3M we used on Bismack

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        If we decide to let Demar go and use our cap space we still have a couple exceptions correct?

Bi-annual hasn't been used since we used it on JJ I believe
        And the 3M we used on Bismack
        Bi-annual can only be used by over the cap teams, just like the regular MLE.

The room MLE (the 3M on Bismack) would be all we have if we use cap space.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Bi-annual can only be used by over the cap teams, just like the regular MLE.

The room MLE (the 3M on Bismack) would be all we have if we use cap space.
          Thanks

Comment

• how does the biyombo situation work?

he declines his year and becomes an UFA, highest bidder. but, hypothetically for understanding purposes, he picks up his option and we get small bird rights and he is a UFA next year. we still have a limit on how much we can pay him? why if he is an UFA?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              how does the biyombo situation work?

he declines his year and becomes an UFA, highest bidder. but, hypothetically for understanding purposes, he picks up his option and we get small bird rights and he is a UFA next year. we still have a limit on how much we can pay him? why if he is an UFA?
              Dan can confirm.. but if he picks up his option, then the Raptors would have Biz under contract for 2 years. This gives them Early Bird rights.. With Early Bird rights you can resign a free agent by going over the cap, but the extension is small.. only 175% of his previous year's contract (which would end up being a paltry $5M.. or it can be just above the average salary which I would assume is about the same).

There are basically two ways we can retain Biz in my opinion. One is that we go over the cap (which is easy if we sign DD and go over the cap doing it). We then have the non-tax payer mid-level ($5.6M). We offer him that and hope he resigns for 1 more year. Then in 2017 he will be a UFA but we can then sign him again using his Early Bird rights (which would grow to $9.8M)..

The other is we free up cap space (trade Ross and possibly Bebe for cap relief). Then resign him as a free agent to about $10-$11M a year.

Picking up his option is just not something he would do. That's just under $3M for a guy that will be coveted because of what he did in the playoffs. Lots of teams with cap space too.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                how does the biyombo situation work?

Rights let you go over the cap. We can pay him whatever we want this summer or next if we have the cap space. Right now we don't.

So assuming you don't have the cap space... Need rights or an exception. We currently have Biyombo's non-Bird rights. Meaning we can sign him to a new deal over the cap. But his salary has to be almost identical to this year's salary. If he opts in (or we sign him to a one year deal with his rights) and he becomes a free agent next summer, we would have his Early Bird Rights. Then we can offer a 75% raise (or the average salary). So instead of 3M like right now, we could offer 6-8M.

The next step up the logic ladder suggests that this summer we could sign him to an exception instead of using his rights (we have the 6M MLE at our disposal). If he signs a one year deal, then becomes a free agent next summer, we again have his early Bird Rights. At that point the 75% raise on the 6M he earns is about 10.5M. Decent, but nowhere near the rumoured price this summer.

One thing that could happen, if Biyombo is open to a little risk and really wants to come back, is we trade Ross to make about 13M in cap room, then sign Biyombo to a two year deal where the second year is a player option. He gets 26M guaranteed, and is able to opt out and re-sign for more money the following summer (his early Bird rights would then let us offer him close to the max, but certainly enough to give him a long term deal at the rumoured 17M).

Of course, it would have to make sense to bring him back at that price. So he'd have to be able to play next to JV.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Of course, it would have to make sense to bring him back at that price. So he'd have to be able to play next to JV.
                  Well, if JV plays 32mpg, and Biyombo plays 24mpg, in theory they only need to share the floor for 8mpg. That leaves 40mpg for Patterson, Bebe, & Carroll (small ball PF) at the remaining big spot. If for those 8mpg we have three players who can provide spacing (eg. Lowry, Powell, Carroll, assuming Ross is gone), then that works pretty well, no?

Is that reasonable, or am I trying way too much roster gymnastics to squeeze an extremely likeable but ultimately poor fit (biyombo) onto our roster? Are there simpler solutions (eg finding the "next Biyombo)?

Also, what do you think is a reasonable expected return for Ross if we try to salary dump him to a non-cap team with no returning salary? A low 1st round pick? Two 2nd rounders? Or will we need to sweeten the pot since we'll be lacking leverage?

Edit: Also, many argue that $13-17mil is too much to pay for a backup C, but let's not forget that injuries happen. Biz was our starting C for a substantial part of this season. Sure it's a luxury, but also a damn good insurance policy.
                  Last edited by Chefff; Wed Jun 1, 2016, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Chefff wrote: View Post
                    Well, if JV plays 32mpg, and Biyombo plays 24mpg, in theory they only need to share the floor for 8mpg. That leaves 40mpg for Patterson, Bebe, & Carroll (small ball PF) at the remaining big spot. If for those 8mpg we have three players who can provide spacing (eg. Lowry, Powell, Carroll, assuming Ross is gone), then that works pretty well, no?

Is that reasonable, or am I trying way too much roster gymnastics to squeeze an extremely likeable but ultimately poor fit (biyombo) onto our roster? Are there simpler solutions (eg finding the "next Biyombo)?

Also, what do you think is a reasonable expected return for Ross if we try to salary dump him to a non-cap team with no returning salary? A low 1st round pick? Two 2nd rounders? Or will we need to sweeten the pot since we'll be lacking leverage?

Edit: Also, many argue that $13-17mil is too much to pay for a backup C, but let's not forget that injuries happen. Biz was our starting C for a substantial part of this season. Sure it's a luxury, but also a damn good insurance policy.
                    I'm all for it if they can make those 8 minutes (I've got it pegged as 10 minutes and Biz playing 26) work. Probably means lineups with Carroll, Powell and Lowry on the perimeter to get enough shooting on the floor. And I've got whoever we draft at 9 (hopefully Chriss) playing a few minutes a game to fill in the rest of the PF minutes along with small ball Carroll.

Still, 17M is too much, but if we move Ross we can make an offer of 13-15M per year (depending on if we keep de Colo's rights or not). Which is more reasonable IF we can get PF minutes from him as well as backup C minutes and C injury insurance.

As for dumping Ross, who knows? If you do it early (like at the draft) you might get a future pick for him. If you wait for free agency (and rumours of an agreement with Biz to leak out) you might end up shedding assets instead if teams smell blood.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I try not to pimp my own stuff very much, but I've got a big salary prep piece for the upcoming draft and free agency up right now that I think is worth a read (note: I may be biased in this matter).

http://www.raptorshq.com/2016/6/1/11...p-update-draft

For those who prefer not to click to read the excess verbage, here are the raw numbers for at the draft:

DeMarre Carroll $13,600,000
                      Kyle Lowry $12,000,000
                      DeMar DeRozan $10,050,000
                      Cory Joseph $7,000,000
                      Patrick Patterson $6,268,675
                      Jonas Valanciunas $4,660,482
                      Terrence Ross $3,553,917
                      Luis Scola $2,900,000
                      Bismack Biyombo $2,814,000
                      James Johnson $2,500,000
                      Lucas Nogueira $1,842,000
                      Bruno Caboclo $1,524,000
                      Delon Wright $1,509,360
                      Norman Powell $650,000
                      Jason Thompson $245,177
                      Ronald Roberts $75,000
                      Axel Toupane $25,000
                      Michale Kyser $25,000
                      Shannon Scott $25,000
                      Nando de Colo $1,900,000

Total committed salary: $73,169,511

Salary Cap: $70,000,000
                      Luxury Tax: $84,740,000
                      Tax Apron (Hard Cap): $88,740,000

And this summer:

Jonas Valanciunas $14,382,024
                      DeMarre Carroll $14,200,000
                      Kyle Lowry $12,000,000
                      Terrence Ross $10,000,000
                      Cory Joseph $7,315,000
                      Patrick Patterson $6,050,000
                      Lucas Nogueira $1,921,320
                      Bruno Caboclo $1,589,640
                      Delon Wright $1,577,280
                      Norman Powell $874,636

Cap projection: $92,000,000
                      Salary committed: $71M
                      With draft picks: $73.2M

And cap holds:

DeMar DeRozan $15,225,000
                      Luis Scola $3,480,000
                      Bismack Biyombo $3,376,800
                      James Johnson $3,250,000
                      Nando de Colo $1,900,000
                      Jason Thompson $1,136,731
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Thanks for that post mate, how do the bird years work with De Colo? He was on our team in 2013-14 and the Spurs in 2012-13 and he was traded to us. So does he have 2 bird years or do these past two years where we've had his rights but he's been outside the NBA count? Haven't been able to find information on that in the CBA FAQ.

Comment

• Gambino wrote: View Post
                          Thanks for that post mate, how do the bird years work with De Colo? He was on our team in 2013-14 and the Spurs in 2012-13 and he was traded to us. So does he have 2 bird years or do these past two years where we've had his rights but he's been outside the NBA count? Haven't been able to find information on that in the CBA FAQ.
                          He has two Bird years from the two years he played in the NBA - you don't lose your rights when you are traded (except sometimes if you are on a one year deal). And the Raptors have managed to keep de Colo's rights by not renouncing his cap hold over the past couple years.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He has two Bird years from the two years he played in the NBA - you don't lose your rights when you are traded (except sometimes if you are on a one year deal). And the Raptors have managed to keep de Colo's rights by not renouncing his cap hold over the past couple years.
                            That's not what I asked really.

I know he keeps his 2 bird years from SAS and being traded to us. I'm wondering if these past two years where we've kept his rights count as an additional two years. So does he have 2 bird years or 4?

Comment

• Gambino wrote: View Post
                              That's not what I asked really.

I know he keeps his 2 bird years from SAS and being traded to us. I'm wondering if these past two years where we've kept his rights count as an additional two years. So does he have 2 bird years or 4?
                              That's what I answered - he has two Bird years from the two years he actually played. No, he does not get more years by not playing.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That's what I answered - he has two Bird years from the two years he actually played. No, he does not get more years by not playing.
                                What about his Angry Bird rights? Where most people forget about you for a few years and then all of a sudden you show up in public again and people would be like "Oh yeah...that guy." It sounds like he still has that going for him.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X