Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    Ibaka next to JV is my dream.

Can't think of a trade that would work tho.

Knicks pick is a starter and you'd think they'd insist on Patterson but who else intrigues them?

I feel like Knicks+PP+Ross wouldn't be enough and even if it was we'd be very short on 3 point shooting
    Knicks, Ross, LAC pick, our 2017 pick, one of Wright/BeBe. With it being a straight trade we can even wait for August so we can sign the draftee first and use that salary as ballast.

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Tough to tell who will be available. I will say that IF Horford and/or Durant leave their teams, I go hunting for Ibaka and Millsap in a trade.
    Ibaka next to JV is my dream.

Can't think of a trade that would work tho.

Knicks pick is a starter and you'd think they'd insist on Patterson but who else intrigues them?

I feel like Knicks+PP+Ross wouldn't be enough and even if it was we'd be very short on 3 point shooting

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Anyone you have your eyes on trade-wise?
    Tough to tell who will be available. I will say that IF Horford and/or Durant leave their teams, I go hunting for Ibaka and Millsap in a trade.

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    Yep. And barring letting every free agent walk, we won't really have cap space either.

Trades will be where any real change happens.
    Anyone you have your eyes on trade-wise?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    MLE and resigning our guys that we have bird rights on the only way to operate over the cap correct?

And some trades if I remember correctly.

So barring a trade if we use the MLE on Biyombo (assuming he agrees), then we essentially keep the same team we have now
    Yep. And barring letting every free agent walk, we won't really have cap space either.

Trades will be where any real change happens.

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    Ah. Here's how it works. At the very start of the summer, teams are judged to be under or over the cap. We will be over the cap, with DeMar's cap hold, JJ's cap hold, small cap holds for Biyombo and Scola and Thompson, and cap holds for our draft picks, and a cap hold for the full MLE (yes, the MLE has a cap hold, essentially). If all those things make the team 1 dollar over the cap, they have the full MLE to use, so long as they don't dip under the cap before they use the MLE. As it stands, all those things make the team 10+M over the cap, so we fairly easily have the full MLE.

So, you are right, we need to be above the cap to use the MLE. But we don't need to "go" over the cap, we need to stay over the cap. If we ever drop below the cap, even for a second, we don't get the MLE.
    MLE and resigning our guys that we have bird rights on the only way to operate over the cap correct?

And some trades if I remember correctly.

So barring a trade if we use the MLE on Biyombo (assuming he agrees), then we essentially keep the same team we have now

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Ah. Here's how it works. At the very start of the summer, teams are judged to be under or over the cap. We will be over the cap, with DeMar's cap hold, JJ's cap hold, small cap holds for Biyombo and Scola and Thompson, and cap holds for our draft picks, and a cap hold for the full MLE (yes, the MLE has a cap hold, essentially). If all those things make the team 1 dollar over the cap, they have the full MLE to use, so long as they don't dip under the cap before they use the MLE. As it stands, all those things make the team 10+M over the cap, so we fairly easily have the full MLE.

So, you are right, we need to be above the cap to use the MLE. But we don't need to "go" over the cap, we need to stay over the cap. If we ever drop below the cap, even for a second, we don't get the MLE.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    I don't understand the question. Whether we have the picks or not, we can use the MLE. The two are completely unrelated.
    maybe i am an idiot. i thought that we needed to go above one cap before the mle becomes usable and whether the two picks by themselves bring us over that number. wondering if maybe there isn't a free agent signing in our future this year.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i meant if the two picks by themselves allow us to use the mle. i don't know what the dollar numbers of the 9th and 27th picks are.

thank you
    I don't understand the question. Whether we have the picks or not, we can use the MLE. The two are completely unrelated.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    Oh, and we have the MLE regardless of what other picks we sign. So long as the team is operating over the cap (and not in the tax) we have the full MLE.
    i meant if the two picks by themselves allow us to use the mle. i don't know what the dollar numbers of the 9th and 27th picks are.

thank you

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Oh, and we have the MLE regardless of what other picks we sign. So long as the team is operating over the cap (and not in the tax) we have the full MLE.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    if we were to make both our picks, we would be able to mle bismack? personally i think bismack is in the best situation for him to succeed. what do you think his value would be in the open market?

is the mle cba locked? would it realistically raise in the next cba agreement with the higher cap?
    MLE is CBA locked. The values can change with the next CBA agreement, and they probably will with the cap being so different.

I think Bismack's value on the market is probably about 10M per year. So the MLE (6M) is a pretty significant pay cut. I doubt he stays, though it would obviously be great to get him on a cheap deal like that, even if for just a year (one more year and we'd have his Early Bird Rights and could offer him that 10M per year deal).

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    DD cap hold is probably 15.1M (it will depend on exactly which incentives he hits this year).

Right now the team is lined up for almost exactly 89M in committed salary. So removing 1.5M and the cap rising to 92M means less than 5M in cap room. In other words, might as well just operate over the cap and use the MLE to try (and fail) to re-sign Biyombo.

I'm not sure I fully understood the question.
    if we were to make both our picks, we would be able to mle bismack? personally i think bismack is in the best situation for him to succeed. what do you think his value would be in the open market?

is the mle cba locked? would it realistically raise in the next cba agreement with the higher cap?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    DD cap hold is probably 15.1M (it will depend on exactly which incentives he hits this year).

Right now the team is lined up for almost exactly 89M in committed salary. So removing 1.5M and the cap rising to 92M means less than 5M in cap room. In other words, might as well just operate over the cap and use the MLE to try (and fail) to re-sign Biyombo.

I'm not sure I fully understood the question.

Leave a comment:

• Heatdreamer
    replied
    Dan,

Accepting the salary cap for 2016/17 of $92 MM with the expectation that James Johnson will not be back. If Powell has stepped up to be at least a solid backup for Carroll. The Raptors reach out and make the trade of the 1st round pick for a future 1st round pick in 2018, clearing $1.5 MM from the cap space from the 11 person roster including the Knicks pick for 2016/17.

The cap hold of DeRozan is almost $14.8 MM makes 12 person Roster , so who does the Team add that would be beneficial to have Biyombo to stay and than give him a Whiteside Lite contract in 2017/18.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X