Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    Not to mention any number of smaller combinations added to guys on rookie scale deals. The possible combinations are endless. The only thing to take out of this is that Masai has loads of trade flexibility.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    JV/2Pat
    Carroll/Ross
    Lowry/Ross

... could also be traded for a max player.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Probably not a huge deal but I just realized that Carroll+2Pat in a sign and trade could bring a max player back the other way. FWIW
    So would.....

JV/Ross

DD alone

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Probably not a huge deal but I just realized that Carroll+2Pat in a sign and trade could bring a max player back the other way. FWIW

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    2016/17:

Jonas Valanciunas $14,382,024
    DeMarre Carroll $14,200,000
    Kyle Lowry $12,000,000
    Terrence Ross $10,000,000
    Cory Joseph $7,315,000
    Patrick Patterson $6,050,000
    Lucas Nogueira (BeBe) $1,921,320
    Bruno Caboclo $1,589,640
    Delon Wright $1,577,280
    Norman Powell $874,636

Cap holds:

DeMar DeRozan $15,075,000 (assuming he opts out of his player option)
    Luis Scola $3,480,000
    James Johnson $4,750,000
    Bismack Biyombo $3,376,800 (assuming he opts out of his player option)
    Nando de Colo $1,901,900 (cap hold; $1,828,750 QO)
    TOR 2016 1st round pick $1,301,900 (assumed 20th pick)
    NYK 2016 1st round pick $2,140,500 (assumed 10th pick)

Above roster, if all free agents are let go: $73,895,771

This equates to 15.2M in cap room. The 7-9 year vet max is 25.1M.

2017/18:

Jonas Valanciunas $15,460,675
    DeMarre Carroll $14,800,000
    Terrence Ross $10,500,000
    Cory Joseph $7,630,000
    Lucas Nogueira (BeBe) $2,947,305
    Bruno Caboclo $2,451,225
    Delon Wright $1,645,200
    Norman Powell $1,014,746 (unguaranteed)
    TOR 2016 1st round pick $1,632,480 (assumed 20th pick)
    NYK 2016 1st round pick $2,684,160 (assumed 10th pick)

Cap holds:

Kyle Lowry $18,000,000 (if he opts out)
    Patrick Patterson $9,075,000
    TOR 2017 1st round pick $1,347,400 (assumed 20th pick)
    LAC 2017 1st round pick $1,098,700 (assumed 25th pick)

Above roster, if all free agents are let go: $63,211,891

This equates to 44.8M in cap room, with three spots to fill. The 7-9 year vet max is 30.5M, the 10+ year max is 35.6M.

Any salary added in 2016 that will extend into 2017 gets taken away from that cap room. Sign DD to a 20M flat deal, that 44.8M drops to 24.8M, less than the RFA max. Sign him to an even bigger deal and it obviously drops even lower.

And that assumes Lowry walks, and Patterson, and anyone else signed in summer 2016 is only for a year.

Obviously trades could, and probably should, happen between now and then, and that could free up (or tie up) salary in various ways.

Raptors are essentially at the new cap with DD's cap hold.

Without significant shake up before trade deadline or draft night, free agency 2016 is not going to feature the Raptors as a lead player - unless sign and trade is the route the Raptors go to land a big fish.

It will be interesting to see what happens next with the Raptors.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Used to use Shamsports, they've been down. Didn't know BI was just as reliable so I guess I'll use that from now on.
    They've improved a LOT since Sham went down. I suspect some sharing of sources when he got out of the game. But yes, they are basically the only game in town now.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Spotrac is a garbage site that just recycles information from other sites, it's their entire model. Please don't use it, as you are taking page views from the sites that generate the information (used to be Sham, and since his seeming retirement, Basketball Insiders).

So, yes, he has a player option.
    Used to use Shamsports, they've been down. Didn't know BI was just as reliable so I guess I'll use that from now on.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Spotrac is a garbage site that just recycles information from other sites, it's their entire model. Please don't use it, as you are taking page views from the sites that generate the information (used to be Sham, and since his seeming retirement, Basketball Insiders).

So, yes, he has a player option.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Hey DanH are we sure Biyombo actually has a player option?

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/cap/2016/

It's not listed on spotrac, and looking at Woj's original article when we signed him, there's no mention of it http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...074216426.html

Hoopshype and BasketballInsiders show the player option though. Any other good sites to look at for confirmation?

EDIT: If it is the case that he doesn't have a player option, that would mean we could sign and trade for a max player without draining our "prospect cupboard".

Sportrac uses BasketballInsiders as a source, and they are pretty much gospel when it comes to contracts in my opinion. But, ESPN mentions it here too:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/i...being-a-raptor

Biyombo's contract will pay him $2.81 million for 2015-16 and he owns a player option worth $2.94 million for 2016-17.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Hey DanH are we sure Biyombo actually has a player option?

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/cap/2016/

It's not listed on spotrac, and looking at Woj's original article when we signed him, there's no mention of it http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...074216426.html

Hoopshype and BasketballInsiders show the player option though. Any other good sites to look at for confirmation?

EDIT: If it is the case that he doesn't have a player option, that would mean we could sign and trade for a max player without draining our "prospect cupboard".
    Last edited by JWash; Sun Dec 27, 2015, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Wouldnt say zero but it would be unexpected at this point given his production. However idk I thought jv would get near a Max as well in the offseason of 2016, but he ended up taking a lot less in his extension. However that scenario is quite different because jv was getting advance security while demar would already be tabling other offers up front.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• charlesnba23
    replied
    KHD wrote: View Post
    zero chance derozan signs for $20M
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• KHD
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I think Masai will resign DD at 20 mil. Than he will target another all-star to join the Kyle/DD combo. A player like DMC. Who already has a good relationship with DD. I've seen a couple pics of DMC holding DD's daughter on Instagram. Also Drake for some reason is attending a lot Sacramento games. Also Drake and DMC have that Kentucky connection. This all depends on how the team does in the playoffs. If Lowry/DD can prove that they can carry this team past the first and compete in the second. Than Masai will know his only one piece away from contending.

Basically, I don't think the next big contributor will come via free agency. It will be via trade. 2 first round picks this year. Two player extensions that add up to the max. Something got to give this summer.
    zero chance derozan signs for $20M

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    I think Masai will resign DD at 20 mil. Than he will target another all-star to join the Kyle/DD combo. A player like DMC. Who already has a good relationship with DD. I've seen a couple pics of DMC holding DD's daughter on Instagram. Also Drake for some reason is attending a lot Sacramento games. Also Drake and DMC have that Kentucky connection. This all depends on how the team does in the playoffs. If Lowry/DD can prove that they can carry this team past the first and compete in the second. Than Masai will know his only one piece away from contending.

Basically, I don't think the next big contributor will come via free agency. It will be via trade. 2 first round picks this year. Two player extensions that add up to the max. Something got to give this summer.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Masai and Bobby Webster have more tricks than Penn and Teller.

Trying to determine what they are going to do is a bigger exercise in futility than attempting to be objective in the DeRozan thread.

We shall see what unfolds.
    Not saying definitively what they're going to do, just that it'd have to be more than just moving 2Pat to free up space that's all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X