Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Mapko wrote: View Post
    How would you feel about Batum as DD replacement? Espetially, considering his "innuendos" about liking to play in To (this appears to follow that "invisible" pattern much better).
    I'd be happy with Batum if KD and Horford fell through. Would have to be considerably less than max though. Luckily everyone will get to see Batum next season as a SG with larger role in offense.

I think it would mean you're significantly upping usage on JV.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Precisely.
    I think it's safe to assume (and we've beaten this to death) NEITHER Demare nor KD are playing 4.
    So, what options are left for SG, SF, PF?
    -Forget about KD;
    -Resign Demar & forget about KD;
    -Let Demar go & sign KD (if interested of course. Now, i would be cautions about approaching KD, because if I am Demar I'd vvew it as DD being 2nd option)
    -Resign Demar & go after Horford (personally, I think this is the best fit NEXT year (I'd be intrigued by Morris at 4 in interim to see if it works);
    I suppose there are other possibilities (trade Carrolle...)
    Horford is going to command max or near max money.

There is no big name, legit max free agent next year without all the issues about filling out the roster with KD applying to another FA as well.

Can't get that and keep DD. Something has to give somewhere whether it is DD, another starter, or the bench.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    It's so risky though, can't see him doing it unless the Raps have some legit under the table shit lined up for KD.

Even if he was due to get the max in 2016 and 2017, he'd only make ~20M more over the life of the four year deal, while missing out on ~14M in 2016-17. Too much risk for 6M extra.
    Thinks its more than 6M 9.5 + 4-5 year @ 108M cap vs 4-5 years @ 89M cap. The least is one extra year at the higher cap

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Delay a deal until the next cap jump. More money in total + longer contract.
    It's so risky though, can't see him doing it unless the Raps have some legit under the table shit lined up for KD.

Even if he was due to get the max in 2016 and 2017, he'd only make ~20M more over the life of the four year deal, while missing out on ~14M in 2016-17. Too much risk for 6M extra.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Why in the world would he do that (unless he suffers a devastating injury which would necessitate missing most of following season)?
    Delay a deal until the next cap jump. More money in total + longer contract.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    How would you feel about Batum as DD replacement? Espetially, considering his "innuendos" about liking to play in To (this appears to follow that "invisible" pattern much better).
    I really want to see how Batum plays this year.

I like Batum a lot but the reality is that he was basically the 4th option in Portland, playing with 2 all-star caliber players and one of the best 2-guards in the league in Wes Matthews. I'm curious to see how he performs in Charlotte this year. Also he hasn't exactly played shooting guard before (he's primarily defended and played the small forward position). Not saying he can't, just that it'd be a change from what he's been doing his whole career.

Also have to consider that Batum will likely cost just as much to sign as DeRozan will. Hell maybe more, as we saw this year the 3+D guys were getting premiums (Carroll and Wes) while more of the high usage scorers like Ellis got less money.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Hmm that idea of re-signing DeMar and signing Horford is intriguing.

How do people feel about this. Would you be willing to move bench players instead to bring in Horford or would you rather move DD and create a hole at the 2?

Leave a comment:

• Mapko
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Certain patterns have emerged, such as:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...or-in-a-player

DD doesn't fit that pattern - just saying.

Neither does Ross.

Leave a comment:

• Mapko
    replied
    TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
    If Demar wants to be a part of this team and also wants this team to make a play for a KD/Horford level max salary, there is really only one strategy for he and his agent to take, and that is to have Demar pick up his option. We'd still need to figure out which signed players to renounce as free agents and which to trade away, but that would at least allow us to retain a few of our current value-priced backups.

I expect that if Demar and his agent have not already worked this out, that Masai will be certain to discuss all of the various scenarios around this with Demar's agent in the future, if Masai hasn't done so already.

All that being said, however, the choice is not as cut-and-dried as this makes it sound. Demar is likely to get a max contract *somewhere* if he opts out, and having his next contract signed gives him added security that may prove to be irresistible. If Demar does pick up his option instead of opting out, however, you can be pretty sure that the Raptors will be looking to add another marquee free agent elsewhere.
    Why in the world would he do that (unless he suffers a devastating injury which would necessitate missing most of following season)?

Leave a comment:

• Mapko
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    I don't think 2016 is the target and the past few posts are reasons why. If you are planning on DD + KD, you leave room to be able to do it, or to pull it off with small trades. Not by putting yourself in a situation where you have to make significant moves to clear the cap space.

If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved.
    Precisely.
    I think it's safe to assume (and we've beaten this to death) NEITHER Demare nor KD are playing 4.
    So, what options are left for SG, SF, PF?
    -Forget about KD;
    -Resign Demar & forget about KD;
    -Let Demar go & sign KD (if interested of course. Now, i would be cautions about approaching KD, because if I am Demar I'd vvew it as DD being 2nd option)
    -Resign Demar & go after Horford (personally, I think this is the best fit NEXT year (I'd be intrigued by Morris at 4 in interim to see if it works);
    I suppose there are other possibilities (trade Carrolle...)

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    I really can't wait to see how Ujiri manages this whole process. It seems clear that Masai has something in mind. His trades, signings have been deliberate and sort of out of left field, but seem to follow a pattern (I'm not quite sure what pattern yet). Is it for a post-DeMar team or for a re-signed DeMar team. Hard to say. Great times to be a Raptor fan.
    Certain patterns have emerged, such as:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...or-in-a-player

DD doesn't fit that pattern - just saying.

Neither does Ross.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    ...The difference is I at least recognize that letting DD walk to try and sign KD is a possibility (however I don't see it happening), whereas you consider it to be the ONLY possibility when it clearly isn't. We'll see how it all goes down.
    I really can't wait to see how Ujiri manages this whole process. It seems clear that Masai has something in mind. His trades, signings have been deliberate and sort of out of left field, but seem to follow a pattern (I'm not quite sure what pattern yet). Is it for a post-DeMar team or for a re-signed DeMar team. Hard to say. Great times to be a Raptor fan.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Anyone can see this team is built for post demar.

The evolution is underway.

Look at who Ujiri signs.
    Look at payroll structure for next summer.
    Look at roster composition.

Sorry guys. Denial is the first step to acceptance.
    All I can say is we shall see. Looking through some old posts in the DeRozan thread, I can see posters have been wrong about him... a lot. It's nice to make predictions, but every year there's a new reason why DD should get moved or will get moved and it never happens.

Your idea really depends on what perspective you're looking at the whole situation from. One could also say that the writing is on the wall for Lowry. Unlike DeRozan we have a viable replacement at the same position already. Also he can actually still be moved for value because he's signed next year. And, unlike in the case of DeRozan we can hedge our bets with Lowry and hold onto him until we get Durant's signature, so if KD doesn't sign we can still keep him. However with DeRozan it's all or nothing, because making no attempt to sign him at the start of the window will result in him signing elsewhere (which you obviously want but isn't particularly smart asset management). Oh and by the time Jonas hits his prime Lowry will be on a steep decline, and re-signing him in 2017 could prove to be very risky.

If you want DeRozan gone it's really easy to connect the dots and see how the writing on the wall is for him, by ignoring all other possibilities and that's fine. All we can really do is wait until 2016 FA (or perhaps some kind of in-season trade) and see what happens.

The difference is I at least recognize that letting DD walk to try and sign KD is a possibility (however I don't see it happening), whereas you consider it to be the ONLY possibility when it clearly isn't. We'll see how it all goes down.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Anyone can see this team is built for post demar.

The evolution is underway.

Look at who Ujiri signs.
    Look at payroll structure for next summer.
    Look at roster composition.

Sorry guys. Denial is the first step to acceptance.

Leave a comment:

• TheWaterboy
    replied
    If Demar wants to be a part of this team and also wants this team to make a play for a KD/Horford level max salary, there is really only one strategy for he and his agent to take, and that is to have Demar pick up his option. We'd still need to figure out which signed players to renounce as free agents and which to trade away, but that would at least allow us to retain a few of our current value-priced backups.

I expect that if Demar and his agent have not already worked this out, that Masai will be certain to discuss all of the various scenarios around this with Demar's agent in the future, if Masai hasn't done so already.

All that being said, however, the choice is not as cut-and-dried as this makes it sound. Demar is likely to get a max contract *somewhere* if he opts out, and having his next contract signed gives him added security that may prove to be irresistible. If Demar does pick up his option instead of opting out, however, you can be pretty sure that the Raptors will be looking to add another marquee free agent elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X