Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooch
    replied
    raptors999 wrote: View Post
    The same could be said of Lowry. CoJo next to KD might be a better option to free cap space and maximize KD
    I agree. In an ideal world you draft a great player with nyk pick, trade lowry and filler, say byebye to dd and get kd and another high tier fa in 2017 or maybe even 2016

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    The same could be said of Lowry. CoJo next to KD might be a better option to free cap space and maximize KD
    Bingo. People are only concerned with the 2 spot again because they want DD gone. But really Lowry is no better defensively than DeRozan is and that's actually a BIGGER concern. Most SGs are just 3+D guys, however when it comes to the playoffs a lot of teams have superstar/all-star caliber PGs that can really hurt you if not defended well (Exhibit A: John Wall last year).

This would also solve the usage problem as CoJo could operate as a relatively lower usage PG and focus primarily on defense and just making smart decisions on offense. You'd have KD as the #1 guy and Jonas/DD as 2A and 2B. Bring in Ibaka the next year fits perfectly too giving you another shooter and versatile defender.

People are saying DD definitely isn't part of the long-term plan, but we just brought in a guy who's almost a half-decade younger than Lowry on a cheap, long-term deal who could potentially be a starting caliber PG. How do we know the plan isn't to offload Lowry an move on with CoJo when Lowry hits the wrong side of 30 (3 months before 2016 FA).

Leave a comment:

• special1
    replied
    There is also no reason to be paying 20M+ for scoring if KD is on a team. There would be cheaper better options
    Cheaper better options...... Please elaborate. .

Also, shouldn't we pursue these cheaper better options regardless if KD is coming or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Snooch
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    I'm not even suggesting that letting DD walk to sign KD is a bad idea.... it obviously isn't. What I have an issue with is you guys making it out to be the ONLY smart option when it clearly is not.

You're saying it because you want DD gone, I get that. Some of you probably wouldn't want DD back even if Horford and KD went on TV right now and said "FUCK Toronto I'd never sign in that dump". So really I think at the end of the day this has become another DD debate and not really a discussion on how we can bring in KD.
    No one has said it is the only option, it is the most reasonable and the one with the best future return.

Other options are possible, just bad

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    Lol - Hilarious.

"It is bs to find any reasoning to find logic in having DD and KD paired up"

I guess this is the Snooch Republic now?

Isn't this a forum? Aren't we free to think for ourselves?

There is also no reason to be paying 20M+ for scoring if KD is on a team. There would be cheaper better options

Leave a comment:

• special1
    replied
    Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Snooch wrote: View Post
    Dd goes if you want kd, cause, as has been pointed out sooooo many times, there is no reason to pay dd money to play beside kd.

It is bs to find any reasoning to find logic in having dd and kd paired up

Lol - Hilarious.

"It is bs to find any reasoning to find logic in having DD and KD paired up"

I guess this is the Snooch Republic now?

Last edited by special1; Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    I stand by that. If Masai was planning to use DD as a lure for Durant, he would have done a better job building his other contracts around freeing up flexibility to do so.

My points are not exclusive. First, the only value DeMar can bring is IF he would be a key attraction for Durant. Judging by Masai's moves, he does not believe he will be and has not included DD being kept in any plan to get Durant.

I can't believe that's really that hard to follow.
    Your first statement says, "If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved"

Your second suggests, "If there is a plan for KD, DD might be involved if KD/Masai want him here"

It's gone from an absolute to an uncertainty, so yes it has changed.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Snooch wrote: View Post
    Dd goes if you want kd, cause, as has been pointed out sooooo many times, there is no reason to pay dd money to play beside kd.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    I'm not even suggesting that letting DD walk to sign KD is a bad idea.... it obviously isn't. What I have an issue with is you guys making it out to be the ONLY smart option when it clearly is not.

You're saying it because you want DD gone, I get that. Some of you probably wouldn't want DD back even if Horford and KD went on TV right now and said "FUCK Toronto I'd never sign in that dump". So really I think at the end of the day this has become another DD debate and not really a discussion on how we can bring in KD.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Ok looks like we're making some progress. At least that BS ultimatum that you guys tried to put on it is gone.
    I stand by that. If Masai was planning to use DD as a lure for Durant, he would have done a better job building his other contracts around freeing up flexibility to do so.

My points are not exclusive. First, the only value DeMar can bring is IF he would be a key attraction for Durant. Judging by Masai's moves, he does not believe he will be and has not included DD being kept in any plan to get Durant.

I can't believe that's really that hard to follow.

Leave a comment:

• Snooch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• special1
    replied
    Also, if you take the "keep Lowry, lose DD) approach, then you are very close to max cap room in 2017 to add another star beside Durant. If you lose Lowry early and keep DD, you are well off and really need to shed a few pieces to get there.

To me, the only argument for trying to keep DD is if he is key to Durant signing here. Otherwise he simply isn't good enough to dedicate that kind of money towards him.
    Let's see how he plays this upcoming season.

He may very well prove that he is good enough to be a part of the future here.

I'm not sure what kind of money you're talking about.....

I recall you stating numerous times that you would sign JV to max or a near max extension - Masai signed him for $16 million per year. Who knows what we'll resign DD for.....

It just goes to show that we shouldn't be making assumptions.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    I don't think 2016 is the target and the past few posts are reasons why. If you are planning on DD + KD, you leave room to be able to do it, or to pull it off with small trades. Not by putting yourself in a situation where you have to make significant moves to clear the cap space.

If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved.
    Also, if you take the "keep Lowry, lose DD) approach, then you are very close to max cap room in 2017 to add another star beside Durant. If you lose Lowry early and keep DD, you are well off and really need to shed a few pieces to get there.

To me, the only argument for trying to keep DD is if he is key to Durant signing here. Otherwise he simply isn't good enough to dedicate that kind of money towards him.
    Ok looks like we're making some progress. At least that BS ultimatum that you guys tried to put on it is gone.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    You just need to not pick up Bebe's team option and let Biyombo walk (or trade him if he picks up his PO). Not that complicated. It's no different than what we have to do if we let DD walk.
    BeBe's team option needs to be picked up within the next two months. And even then, you probably need to get rid of BeBe plus another rookie scale piece, even assuming Biyombo opts out of his contract. Or get rid of Patterson for very little salary return.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X