Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatdreamer
    replied
    If DD scores 17-20 points a game, and is healthy enough, to continue to do so at 26 years old, and you can sign him to a 4/20. Why dont you look to improve in other areas, such has enhancing the potential of your bench. Sure it would be great to have a superstar to carry your team, but as you can see you require support players to achieve this.
    Who is it for the Raptors if you sign KD, and dont sign DD, is KL your Russell Westbrook at the age of 30? JV is a better version of Steven Adams or Mitch McGary.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Anything is possible.. but DD's cap hold is $15,075,000. To have enough to sign KD and keep DD, the Raptors would have to let go of 2Pat, CoJo, Wright or Bebe (without getting any salary back) and another asset (say Toronto's 2016 first) with JJ, Scola and TR renounced/moved and hoping Biyombo drops his player option

OR

Trade Carroll (without getting any salary back) and another asset (like Bebe or Wright - Toronto's draft pick would not be enough) with JJ, Scola and TR renounced/moved and also hoping Biyombo drops his player option.

OR

Trade Lowry (without getting any salary back) and two assets (like Bebe and Wright) with JJ, Scola and TR renounced/moved and also hoping Biyombo drops his player option.

The first package would make a team dealing a superstar blush. The second would mean Masai believes that DD is more valuable than Carroll/Bebe or Carroll/Wright. I don't believe the third option would exist.. Lowry is more valuable than DD.

Will be interesting to see what Masai does in the 2016 draft.. that's when we'll probably get an idea as to what direction he's heading.
    Agree with this, my point was just that there are options available to keep DD in the event that Durant wants to sign here. What Masai is actually going to do remains to be seen. Maybe he views DD in the same way as Casey... good enough for now but if he can be replaced with a better option (which KD obviously is) then do so. Or maybe he views DD as an integral piece and thinks he would play well with KD as the #2 guy.

People acting like they know what Masai's plan is are kind of out of line. Most people would've bet mad money right after the playoffs that Casey would get fired this offseason (including myself) and it didn't happen. The fact is we really don't know what Masai is going to do, we can only speculate.

Some of you are saying that Masai wouldn't be willing to part with role players/prospects to retain DD and sign KD. But would he be willing to let an all-star SG and his 2nd most valuable asset (after JV) walk for nothing instead? Really remains to be seen what Masai's M.O. is. Maybe he doesn't even KNOW right now and wants to see how DD plays this year.

EDIT:

For all we know it's Lowry who isn't part of Masai's long-term plans. He's an expiring contract in 2016-17, and will be 30 years old. Plus Masai already signed a guy who could potentially replace him and drafted a guy who could back that guy up so... like I said we don't know.
    Last edited by JWash; Thu Aug 27, 2015, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Anything is possible.. but DD's cap hold is $15,075,000. To have enough to sign KD and keep DD, the Raptors would have to let go of 2Pat, CoJo, Wright or Bebe (without getting any salary back) and another asset (say Toronto's 2016 first) with JJ, Scola and TR renounced/moved and hoping Biyombo drops his player option

OR

Trade Carroll (without getting any salary back) and another asset (like Bebe or Wright - Toronto's draft pick would not be enough) with JJ, Scola and TR renounced/moved and also hoping Biyombo drops his player option.

OR

Trade Lowry (without getting any salary back) and two assets (like Bebe and Wright) with JJ, Scola and TR renounced/moved and also hoping Biyombo drops his player option.

The first package would make a team dealing a superstar blush. The second would mean Masai believes that DD is more valuable than Carroll/Bebe or Carroll/Wright. I don't believe the third option would exist.. Lowry is more valuable than DD.

Will be interesting to see what Masai does in the 2016 draft.. that's when we'll probably get an idea as to what direction he's heading.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    OK, how about this?

Either DD is not involved in any potential KD pitch, or Masai royally screwed the pooch the last couple off-seasons preparing for said pitch (which, considering it would be a franchise changing acquisition, means a lot).
    I disagree. There's no way to really know whether DD is part of the plan or not. I mean many raps fans thought he'd get dealt in the off season but he wasn't. To me Masai seems like a guy who likes to retain talent when he can. So I could see DD still being involved if we want KD.

I get that some of you don't want him to be a part of this team anymore, so you're only really looking at that side of it. I get that perspective but I think there are a whole lot of other angles to it as well.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    OK, how about this?

Either DD is not involved in any potential KD pitch, or Masai royally screwed the pooch the last couple off-seasons preparing for said pitch (which, considering it would be a franchise changing acquisition, means a lot).
    Considering Masai also has one of the best, if not the best, cap guru in Bobby Webster on his staff, I don't think any pooch has been screwed.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Again idk how you can say this definitively unless you work for the Raptors front office.
    OK, how about this?

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    I don't think 2016 is the target and the past few posts are reasons why. If you are planning on DD + KD, you leave room to be able to do it, or to pull it off with small trades. Not by putting yourself in a situation where you have to make significant moves to clear the cap space.

If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved.
    Again idk how you can say this definitively unless you work for the Raptors front office.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    I don't think 2016 is the target and the past few posts are reasons why. If you are planning on DD + KD, you leave room to be able to do it, or to pull it off with small trades. Not by putting yourself in a situation where you have to make significant moves to clear the cap space.

If there is a plan for KD, DD is not involved.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Probably because they were RFA's and couldn't be signed to shorter deals at a price that wouldn't be matched?

Patterson could have been signed on a shorter deal. Heck, Powell could have been signed to a shorter deal. Why give Biyombo a player option if control in 2016 is so key?
    If Biyombo can't do better than 1 yr @ 3M with the cap rise he might be out of the league

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Probably because they were RFA's and couldn't be signed to shorter deals at a price that wouldn't be matched?

Patterson could have been signed on a shorter deal. Heck, Powell could have been signed to a shorter deal. Why give Biyombo a player option if control in 2016 is so key?
    Because you can't bet it all on getting KD?

You yourself have said that you don't even think 2016 is the ultimate target. Why the sudden switch now?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    If Masai wanted to keep DD and get Durant he probably would not have signed so many long term deals eating into 2016 cap room.
    Yeah I wonder why Morey signed Lin and Asik to deals that ate into 2014 cap room when he wanted to sign LeBron.... wait...

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    If Masai wanted to keep DD and get Durant he probably would not have signed so many long term deals eating into 2016 cap room.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Yes, traded away in advance - ie before they signed a big name. It is the only way to do it without bleeding assets (heck look at the cost for Golden State when they wanted to make the Iggy signing a sign and trade). So it is a huge risk - trade away a big chunk of our depth just in case Durant signs with us? Sounds like a terrible plan to me.
    But if Masai wants to keep DeRozan and get DD then he'd likely go that route or try to do it after perhaps at least.

Not saying he does, just saying that he could and would have to adjust in that case.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Yes, traded away in advance - ie before they signed a big name. It is the only way to do it without bleeding assets (heck look at the cost for Golden State when they wanted to make the Iggy signing a sign and trade). So it is a huge risk - trade away a big chunk of our depth just in case Durant signs with us? Sounds like a terrible plan to me.
    It's what the Kings did by sending Stauskas to Philly with two overpaid PF

Leave a comment:

Working...
X