Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    You'd have to go non-guaranteed, and in that case you lose his draft rights.

I would much prefer having Daniels there rather than a vet who will contribute nothing. Dorell Wright would be a good pickup, but I doubt he signs for the minimum.

Look at the playing time Fields and Stiemsma got last year. Those spots are never used.

In general, I would much prefer a young piece be signed to fill a depth role than a vet that every other team has decided is not worth spending an exception or cap room on.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    It is enough. We would need only 525k, we have about 700k with de Colo on the cap.

I'd be tempted to actually sign Daniels to a 1 year deal at the minimum (using the min salary exception). That keeps his rights and keeps him in the system while he rehabs (though in theory he should be healthy by training camp) and he can spend time down in the D-League while collecting a decent pay.
    Really? I'm not that tempted. It's still a cap hold next year, versus none if we have him wait, and a roster spot that could be used for the likes of Dorrell Wright, or simple flexibility. Do we really want 5 spots out of 15 taken up with the youth movement, especially when we can only send down a limited number to the 905s?

It seems reasonable to allocate 1 spot to our 2nd round rooks. If Daniels can beat out Norm in training camp, the spots all his.

Can we bump up his pay with a training camp contract? Or is the only avenue there one of these non-guaranteeds?
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    It is enough. We would need only 525k, we have about 700k with de Colo on the cap.

I'd be tempted to actually sign Daniels to a 1 year deal at the minimum (using the min salary exception). That keeps his rights and keeps him in the system while he rehabs (though in theory he should be healthy by training camp) and he can spend time down in the D-League while collecting a decent pay.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    I see no reason Daniels shouldn't just be signed to the 905s. No, he doesn't make a fortune, but he needs to rehab, probably wants to continue playing with his new chums (Bruno et al), and then he needs to get playing. He doesn't have to worry about a whole heck of a lot, except rehabbing and playing ball, and he gets to work his way into the Raptors organization.

Question:
    How much space do we have to offer Powell a 3+ year contract without waiving Nando's rights? And is it enough?

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    raptors999 wrote: View Post
    How about stamps. Are there free stamps?
    If there's not the NBADLPA should do something about it immediately

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Yeah, room, board, healthcare and per diem.
    How about stamps. Are there free stamps?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Yeah, room, board, healthcare and per diem.

Leave a comment:

• Katman
    replied
    If I remember correctly, the team provides room & board for D League players. If not, good luck finding a place to live on 25k in the GTA.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    As for trade flexibility, an extra body can always be waived if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Fair enough... For a second I forgot Casey was coaching
    Plus once he gets healthy I'm sure he'll be able to contribute just as well as Bruno. /s

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    That's what the worry was about signing Stiemsma last year. Considering him, Bruno, Bebe and Fields never played, and Hayes played rarely, I think we'll be okay
    Fair enough... For a second I forgot Casey was coaching

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    But he takes up a roster spot, which kills flexibility
    That's what the worry was about signing Stiemsma last year. Considering him, Bruno, Bebe and Fields never played, and Hayes played rarely, I think we'll be okay

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Or just leave him on the big squad. He won't play regardless and he gets 525k
    But he takes up a roster spot, which kills flexibility

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    Upside to this is a) we keep his RFA rights by not waiving him and b) if he gets healthy he can be assigned to the D-League anyway.

Downside is one less useable roster spot. But I agree - drop Roberts to the D-League as an affiliate player and keep Daniels as dead weight to maintain rights over him. Then even if you don't re-sign him next summer you keep his RFA rights if you don't waive him (and he would have a tiny cap hold due to non-Bird Rights).
    My thoughts exactly

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Or just leave him on the big squad. He won't play regardless and he gets 525k
    Upside to this is a) we keep his RFA rights by not waiving him and b) if he gets healthy he can be assigned to the D-League anyway.

Downside is one less useable roster spot. But I agree - drop Roberts to the D-League as an affiliate player and keep Daniels as dead weight to maintain rights over him. Then even if you don't re-sign him next summer you keep his RFA rights if you don't waive him (and he would have a tiny cap hold due to non-Bird Rights).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X