Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Raptors the deepest team in the league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Raptors the deepest team in the league?

They are 2 or 3 players deep at every position. This gives them a unique advantage in playing hard offensively and defensively EVERY possession. This is a hidden benefit of not having a 'true' superstar who will take plays off during lulls in the game in order to conserve energy. That should NEVER happen on this team.

Casey should maximize this advantage by employing aggressive defensive tactics, playing uptempo when opportunities arise and running a halfcourt offense that utilizes off the ball cuts and screens to tire out defenders. Basically Heat defense, Spurs offense.

The Spurs are probably the only team in the NBA that has more depth than the raps. If Denver is healthy this year they will be on the same level as Toronto. I don't think any other team is close.

A lot like Ujiri's 57 win Denver team, except I think we actually have more talent.

Comment

The_Warlord wrote: View Post
      They are 2 or 3 players deep at every position. This gives them a unique advantage in playing hard offensively and defensively EVERY possession. This is a hidden benefit of not having a 'true' superstar who will take plays off during lulls in the game in order to conserve energy. That should NEVER happen on this team.

Casey should maximize this advantage by employing aggressive defensive tactics, playing uptempo when opportunities arise and running a halfcourt offense that utilizes off the ball cuts and screens to tire out defenders. Basically Heat defense, Spurs offense.

The Spurs are probably the only team in the NBA that has more depth than the raps. If Denver is healthy this year they will be on the same level as Toronto. I don't think any other team is close.
      Its Casey. Could see Fields and Hayes getting ridiculous minutes at the 2,3,4 spots. He only plays veterans on expiring contracts.

Comment

I'd say we're nearing the Spurs level of depth. However, we haven't seen how the team players with Williams and BeBe and what-not. It's a similar team, but some new pieces.

If everything Gels well, and they all can understand their roles, and play within it, then, I think we're definitely Top 3 in the NBA in terms of "Depth".

With minimal dropoff between the Bench and the Starters, that allows us to rest our players more, like Lowry, so he doesn't injure himself, I think we're in a very good spot.

Comment

I totally agree. It is a huge asset to be able to rest our players (especially Lowry).
          Myself (March 2014):
          The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            Its Casey. Could see Fields and Hayes getting ridiculous minutes at the 2,3,4 spots. He only plays veterans on expiring contracts.
            I really wouldn't mind seeing Fields getting some playing-time. He can still play D, and he can still do all the intangibles. He doens't shoot, because he knows he can't. I actually with we'd play him more. Teams might sag off of him due to his lack of a shot, but still, he can get to the basket, make the cuts, everything still.

Hayes...situationally I guess. If we need a stop, in to grab some boards, I see nothing wrong with Chuck. He plays within his means, and he does it quite well.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
              Hayes...situationally I guess. If we need a stop, in to grab some boards, I see nothing wrong with Chuck. He plays within his means, and he does it quite well.
              This, people need to chill about Hayes, it's not like he's playing in every game.
              Myself (March 2014):
              The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

We are incredibly deep to the point where our third unit (Buycks - Fields - Bruno - Hansborugh - Bebe) could stack up against our previous 2nd unit (Roko - Kapono - Graham - Humphries - Voskuhl)
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                  This, people need to chill about Hayes, it's not like he's playing in every game.
                  He does his job well, when he's called upon. Sometimes he'll play more when we need stops from our 2nd unit, sometimes he plays less.

He grabs his boards, plays good defense, help/man-to-man. He's overpaid for sure, but I think that's the issue people have with him.

If he was on a Vet Min deal, people would be loving him, lol. It's not his fault GMs decided to over pay him, lol.

Comment

once he expires I wouldn't mind bringing him back on the vet min just for the locker room alone
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      once he expires I wouldn't mind bringing him back on the vet min just for the locker room alone
                      I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Seems like an absolute professional to me.

Comment

I'm on board @Hayes on vet min, it's not like he relies on athleticism. He could play until he's 50.
                        Myself (March 2014):

Comment

I'm a fan of short rotations (e.g. 8-9 guys), so personally, I don't find much benefit to being too deep (unless of course we have major injuries to key guys).

I just hope every player on the roster is made aware of his role, and that he accepts his role. We can't have 15 guys expecting to play 20+ minutes a night, and being a distraction if he doesn't get it. Here's looking at you, James Johnson.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            We are incredibly deep to the point where our third unit (Buycks - Fields - Bruno - Hansborugh - Bebe) could stack up against our previous 2nd unit (Roko - Kapono - Graham - Humphries - Voskuhl)
                            I like the enthusiasm, but we've yet to see Bruno or Bebe play yet. Man I hope someone comes up with a nickname for Bebe 'cause I don't want hear that all season..

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I'm a fan of short rotations (e.g. 8-9 guys), so personally, I don't find much benefit to being too deep (unless of course we have major injuries to key guys).

I just hope every player on the roster is made aware of his role, and that he accepts his role. We can't have 15 guys expecting to play 20+ minutes a night, and being a distraction if he doesn't get it. Here's looking at you, James Johnson.
                              I think 8-9 guys is good for the playoffs but the regular season is a different story. Using the competitive advantages outlined above will help secure wins during the grind of the regular season but almost as important will keep the 8-9 players that earn their positions healthy and fresh come playoff time.

Comment

Working...
                              X