Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your Raptor GOAT top 5 ranked in order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Raptor GOAT top 5 ranked in order?

I believe we've done this before, but it may be time to revisit, now that Kawhi and Demar have been gone for awhile, Vince ready to retire, etc...a bit of reasoning is good/encouraged too.

My top 5 without further ado:

1. Kyle Lowry - franchise leaders in assists, steals, 3 pointers, win shares, best player on the team through the teams best era, (going on 7 years of sustained success), soon to be 6x Raptor All Star, NBA Champion, heart and soul leader

2. Kawhi Leonard - not much needs to be said. Had a tough time between him and Demar at 2, but Kawhi had one of the most legendary playoffs of all time, and I'm including the Jordans and the Kobes. One contract resigning might have catapulted him to the GROAT, but he bolted the first chance he got, and let us not forget he load managed through last year while the rest of the guy who sometimes struggled in the playoffs grinded the whole season. But Kawhi, forever a Canadian legend, icon, myth .

3. Demar Derozan - again, was gonna put him at 2, but just didn't accomplish enough at his peak. Was never the best raptor on the team in any year, which is the only guy in the top 5 you can say that for. But his extreme loyalty, consistency, drive to improve, and owning the all time record books have him near the top as a no brainer. Forever a Raptor

4. Vince Carter - the Raptor that put us on the map, first got us to the 2nd round, made fans out of millions of kids, pop culture icon, first elite player we ever had. Still the all time leader in PER and usage. Crazy to think Vince was #1 GROAT as recently as 2 or 3 years ago and in that short time I have him passed by 3 guys. The Masai era, am i right?

5. Chris Bosh - the best player on this team for quite a while. Still holds the rebounding records. Dragged a bad team to the playoffs, put up with some awful rosters. The bridge from 2 eras. Good guy. Put up with Bargnani.

And, while I'm here, why not finish the top 10

6. Jonas Valanciunas
    7. Morris Peterson
    8. Jose Calderon
    9. Antonio Davis
    10. Pascal Siakam
    Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Jan 29th, 2020, 12:14 PM.
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

I'll be interested to see the reasoning behind anyone disagreeing with your top 5
    In the top 10, I'd have Calderone above Mo-Pete, Stoudamire didn't play here long enough to make the top 10 and Pascal gonna move up to 6 soon enough imo

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
      I'll be interested to see the reasoning behind anyone disagreeing with your top 5
      In the top 10, I'd have Calderone above Mo-Pete, Stoudamire didn't play here long enough to make the top 10 and Pascal gonna move up to 6 soon enough imo
      Agreed with siakam. It's just been slightly too short of a time to feel right putting him higher, but I think by the end of next regular season hes already 6th (2 all stars, 2 good playoffs hopefully, nba champion, mip)

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
        There should be a big *asterisk* next to Leonard as he was a great mercenary (the greatest in NBA history) but I'm not sure he was ever a Raptor and he certainly never embraced either the organization or the city, which to me are fundamental prerequisites when you start talking about the greatest players in an organization's history.

I struggle with Vince in the top 5. For as individually brilliant as he was at times, they made the playoffs only 2 times in his 6 full seasons with the Raps and then the fact he quit on his teammates and the organization in a very public manner left a bad taste in my mouth that has never gone away. His impact on basketball in Canada is probably material enough to have him in there but his exit was so bad at the time (and had such an adverse impact on the organization) that I would only include him begrudgingly.

Comment

5. John Salmons
          4. Patrick McCaw
          3. Jamario Moon
          2. Andrea Barngani
          1. Rafael Araujo
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

But in all seriousness mostly agree wit your top 5. Think their is a case to have JV in Bosh's spot but other then that pretty spot on.

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
              5. John Salmons
              4. Patrick McCaw
              3. Jamario Moon
              2. Andrea Barngani
              1. Rafael Araujo
              Bargnani is legit top 15...sucks to say

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

There should be a big *asterisk* next to Leonard as he was a great mercenary (the greatest in NBA history) but I'm not sure he was ever a Raptor and he certainly never embraced either the organization or the city, which to me are fundamental prerequisites when you start talking about the greatest players in an organization's history.

I struggle with Vince in the top 5. For as individually brilliant as he was at times, they made the playoffs only 2 times in his 6 full seasons with the Raps and then the fact he quit on his teammates and the organization in a very public manner left a bad taste in my mouth that has never gone away. His impact on basketball in Canada is probably material enough to have him in there but his exit was so bad at the time (and had such an adverse impact on the organization) that I would only include him begrudgingly.
                Seems like you put a high value on loyalty and commitment to franchise, which is understandable as I did too, because Kawhi and Vince would likely be 1 and 2 if they had longevity and better exits

Comment

Guys, let's not make it complicated. This is not hard. A lot of people will say Lowry, some will say Vince. But DEEP INSIDE you know it's Kawhi Leonard.

It's all about winning championships. Kawhi Leonard was the biggest reason the Raptors won the championship last year. He VALIDATED this franchise, he validated Masai and Nick Nurse and Kyle Lowry.

Rank the top 10 greatest moments in Raptors history and Kawhi probably has 9 of the 10 greatest moments in franchise history. And he was only here for 1 year.

Kyle Lowry? if the Raptors didn't win the chip last year what would be his legacy here? that he's a playoff choker right? great player but chokes in the playoffs. The leading man of LeBronto. Now, everything's changed. People are talking about him now as a borderline HOF'er because he won a championship. Why did he win a championship? because of Kawhi Leonard.

1. Kawhi

2. Lowry
                  3. Vince
                  4. Siakam
                  5. DeRozan
                  6. Bosh
                  7. Damon
                  8. Gasol
                  9. Davis
                  10. Calderon

Ibaka, VanVleet, Danny Green and Norman Powell are all in my top 15. Yes, ahead of guys like Christie and MoPete and Alvin and JV. What have those guys won? it's all about winning championships.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Ibaka, VanVleet, Danny Green and Norman Powell are all in my top 15. Yes, ahead of guys like Christie and MoPete and Alvin and JV. What have those guys won? it's all about winning championships.
                    JV won more playoffs games/series then Vince if your basing it on winning in the playoffs.

Comment

And yes, Superstar Siakam is now in my top 5. Sorry DeMar, but it's not really close anymore.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

JV won more playoffs games/series then Vince if your basing it on winning in the playoffs.
                        Vince was a transcendent talent. The first SUPERSTAR in franchise history.

JV? good player but it's not like he was a key player on a championship team. That dude is famous for getting benched in the 4th. Solid role player.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

So one one hand, these guys only won a championship cause of Kawhi. But on the other hand, they shoot up the rankings for winning a championship. So basically Mo Pete and JV are getting shafted because they didn't play with Kawhi. Seems unreasonable to rank a guys greatness based on whether or not he was on the team when another guy was.

Comment

5. John Salmons
                            4. Patrick McCaw
                            3. Jamario Moon
                            2. Andrea Barngani
                            1. Rafael Araujo
                            That's harsh on Bargs, not his fault we were so bad at drafting in a bad draft class lol

And we'll always have this

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

So one one hand, these guys only won a championship cause of Kawhi. But on the other hand, they shoot up the rankings for winning a championship. So basically Mo Pete and JV are getting shafted because they didn't play with Kawhi. Seems unreasonable to rank a guys greatness based on whether or not he was on the team when another guy was.
                              Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, Keon......

Comment

Working...
                              X