NBA Dunk Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Dunk Contest

How can the NBA improve the dunk contest to avoid controversies in selecting the winner? Some argue that Aaron Gordon should have won this year's contest. Many feel he was also the winner of the 2016 Toronto contest? How would you modify the judging? Bring in Fan voting? Penalty points for missed dunks? Or do nothing?
    Last edited by Zak24gege; Mon Feb 17, 2020, 12:36 PM.

the judges just need to honestly judge the dunk. For years they are conspiring and comparing each others scores before displaying them. The judging has been a major problem. If a dunk deserves a 6, make it so. These days, 50's are handed out too easy...while it should be near impossible to get a 50. It wouldn't hurt to have some bigger names involved in the competition too.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      the judges just need to honestly judge the dunk. For years they are conspiring and comparing each others scores before displaying them. The judging has been a major problem. If a dunk deserves a 6, make it so. These days, 50's are handed out too easy...while it should be near impossible to get a 50. It wouldn't hurt to have some bigger names involved in the competition too.
      They seem to have more celebrities judges lately rather than guys who can appreciate the difficulties involved with different dunks. Guys like Ja Morant or Zion would have added a little more entertainment, sizzle than say Dwight Howard...

Comment

I think the 50-point cap is a big part of the problem, because whatever the first dunk to get 50 is sets the standard, and there's no room for superior dunks to top it. The controversies seem to stem from 'dunker A got a 50 for an awesome dunk, then dunker B pulls out a ridiculous, absurd, jaw-dropping dunk, but the best we can do now is call that round a tie.'

The vote should be more in a format of 'which of these dunks is better'? So let's say you've got 5 judges, and each judge simply decides which of 2 dunks they thought was better. They don't give a score, and they can't opt for a 'tie'. But their choices are public. Players get 1 point for each judges's choice they earn. Opening round is round-robin, each going against each (3 dunks for each player, total). Top two competitors advance to the final round (if 3 competitors would advance, the lowest-ranked of those do a tiebreaker round for the right to advance to the finals). Finals consist of 2 dunks each, and a tiebreaker if necessary.

Judges are welcome to have whatever personal criteria they want. If one judge places a high priority on first-attempt dunks and another doesn't, that's totally fine. Same with things like showmanship.

Comment

First of all, fans and athletes alike need to understand it's more about entertainment and fun than really "best dunker"
          Otherwise get rid of the capes and masks and jumping over cars. But without them it's really boring so keep the props and worry less about who "wins"

There hasn't been a dunk in history that deserves a 50, they hand them out like candy so the fans can go nuts. Fair enough, but it rips off the net guy who does the dunk better or one ups it. Make it out of 100 and give marks realistically between 80-100 and the winners will start to look more obvious.

Make the judges more accountable and less about friends and teammates and screw the Oprah "you get a 50 and you get a 50, EVERYBODY gets a 50!"

Or simply stop caring lol Any player getting really bent out of shape about it should check their priorities

Comment

It's a subjective contest. And anything that is subjective can have bias. Just look at the Olympics and any event that is judged like Diving or Gymnastics. Ultimately the best judge is the fan since that's what this specific event is catered too.

Is technology good enough know to generate votes but fast enough to move the broadcast along between dunks? How much time does a network need to gather votes, close the poll, then finalize results? If it's fast (and I assume it should be), then use that.

Also they should have two winners. Best dunker and best dunk.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              It's a subjective contest. And anything that is subjective can have bias. Just look at the Olympics and any event that is judged like Diving or Gymnastics. Ultimately the best judge is the fan since that's what this specific event is catered too.

Is technology good enough know to generate votes but fast enough to move the broadcast along between dunks? How much time does a network need to gather votes, close the poll, then finalize results? If it's fast (and I assume it should be), then use that.

Also they should have two winners. Best dunker and best dunk.
              I wondered about that too..

It could very likely be fast enough to go by twitter... and it would be great to have it out people like D-Wade’s hands and into fans... BUT... again, if you have a bunch of nobodies and then Lebron enters, well... pretty plain to see how that’s gonna go down, regardless of best dunker. (I like the idea of best dunk + best dunker btw.)

I also wondered on the technology bent whether they could have it by noise meter in the arena... it would ask a lot of the fans, but whoever gets the loudest most lit response advances.

All that said, I really like octothorp’s idea... WHICH ONE IS BETTER. Super simple.

Either way, this 100% needs to be fixed for next year. Wade was getting massacred online, and rightly so, for how it turned out. Judges are gonna stop wanting to do it for fear of getting taken to task. Players aren’t gonna wanna do it after seeing Aaron get consecutively fucked. And fans.... they’re gonna be done with it too.

Look how well the changes worked for the actual all star game. Big success.

Time to fix the dunk contest.

Comment

After each round is complete just have judges rank them 1-4. 3 judges. No communication between judges allowed. No co-rankings permitted. In a tie, one dunk dunk-off. Judges can confer but must pick a winner.

The contest is is fine but what happened this year with the judging will make guys not want to do it.

Comment

I think they can keep the same set up. Just be more conservative with 10s. They gave howards superman dunk a 10 then every dunk after pretty much had to be a 10. If we have a dunk off. Each guy just does 1 dunk then the 5 judges choose which guy was better. Get rid of celebritys and no judges allowed that are biased aka D-Wade.
                  The way this one went is going to hurt the contest Ja morant already tweeted he doesnt want to do it any more. Gordon is never going to do again. Thats 2 good dunkers that will never participate just from this one cluster fuck
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Keep the same scoring for the first round, take it out for the final. In the final, after they both do a dunk vote which one was better. If they each have one win after two rounds in the final, then you have a tiebreaker with one more dunk each
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Some good ideas here. I like octothorps idea. Clearly there are much better ways to do it, with or without scoring for each dunk. But if judges werent so quick to hand out the 10, there wouldnt be a problem. I mean, no one breaks out their best dunk first, so getting a 10 shouldnt happen right off the bat. But that first dunk sets the stage and can mess up the scoring going forward. Perhaps a format without scoring would be best.

Comment

I think the ranking would get rid of the scoring issue and create a mote clear-cut winner. It can be done by panelists individually or as a group as long as after every round they are raked. Good one octo!
                        Last edited by Zak24gege; Wed Feb 19, 2020, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Let the judges, players on the court and the fans in the arena vote (if the city has their player on the court, then they cannot participate), each vote has 33% worth. Imperfect but would reduce the chance of bias.
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Zak24gege wrote: View Post
                            How can the NBA improve the dunk contest to avoid controversies in selecting the winner? Some argue that Aaron Gordon should have won this year's contest. Many feel he was also the winner of the 2016 Toronto contest? How would you modify the judging? Bring in Fan voting? Penalty points for missed dunks? Or do nothing?
                            Have their top guys compete? LeBron is one of the greatest dunker's of all time and arguably the most athletic player of all time and he's never competed in the dunk contest. Why?

Don't get me started about Zion. Why has he not competed in the dunk contest? He's known as a dunker. Hes made a name for himself as a dunker.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Have their top guys compete? LeBron is one of the greatest dunker's of all time and arguably the most athletic player of all time and he's never competed in the dunk contest. Why?

Don't get me started about Zion. Why has he not competed in the dunk contest? He's known as a dunker. Hes made a name for himself as a dunker.
                              I threw this out around the all star game last time, but I'd like it if the dunk contest moved to a HORSE format where guys had to replicate the other dunks or get a letter. I'd reduce attempts per dunk to 1 instead of 3. Each guy gets to do their dunk and the others try to replicate, then the next guy gets to do his dunk until everyone has tried a dunk. Then you start back with the first guy if he hasn't been eliminated yet. No props like cars. I think it'd be OK to do stuff like having an assistant hold the ball up and the guy grabs it off mid air, something the other guys could attempt right after watching it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X