No announcement yet.

Game #60: Toronto Raptors 118 - Denver Nuggets 133

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we only have TD signed for this season and next? Is he a restricted FA or unrestricted after that? If he ends up signing somewhere else because he can't get minutes over Patrick freakin' McCaw then I may have a moment.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post

Question Dan, when McCaw becomes the 8th man for us instead of like the 6th man that he seems to be when we're injured, do you think his terrible play will still be able to cost us games when he plays like 10 mins a game instead of 24? Cause if that's the case and Nurse sticks to him being our 8th man when healthy come hell or high water I don't know how far we're gonna go this playoffs.
      Obviously him playing fewer minutes is better than him playing more minutes. So his theoretical damage is more limited in that scenario. But against better teams in the playoffs and as teams scout guys, he could end up being more of a problem in the minutes he does play. So who knows.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we only have TD signed for this season and next? Is he a restricted FA or unrestricted after that? If he ends up signing somewhere else because he can't get minutes over Patrick freakin' McCaw then I may have a moment.
        RFA in summer 2021 with a low cap hold, and a Gilbert Arenas free agent.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

We may have to take a step back then. One thing I've learned watching basketball is that bigs need a lot of time to become NBA caliber players. Like minimum 2-3 years but usually more. Dewan has hardly played this year so will be a rookie again next year (assuming he ever gets healthy). We have two picks this draft, but again I don't see them being reliable. Boucher can come back cheaply but is pretty unreliable too (as we've seen recently, and he's already 27).

If we can get younger now, but stay competitive that's a tough task. And being competitive is something I think we should try to aim for considering most free agents want to go to good teams not bad teams. I think it might be prudent to bring everyone back, and then use trades to free up cap space or get younger. But we need to try to stay competitive as our primary goal.
          I agree except I don't think bringing everyone back guarantees that we stay competitive. Marc for instance seems like he could fall off the edge or spend half a year injured one of these days. I guess a lot depends on if they will take reasonable one year deals. I doubt Serge does but Marc might. Fred's gonna make bank because some team will over pay him.

Comment

Give OG Kawhi's minutes, and Norm Danny's then the only thing we have to figure out is what to do with Norm's old minutes (15 mpg). You split that off between McCaw, TD and give Fred a few more minutes a game and we'll have our rotation.
            There's the problem though. The answer is to give Terry the 15 minutes. It's not obvious right now that that will happen.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I agree except I don't think bringing everyone back guarantees that we stay competitive. Marc for instance seems like he could fall off the edge or spend half a year injured one of these days. I guess a lot depends on if they will take reasonable one year deals. I doubt Serge does but Marc might. Fred's gonna make bank because some team will over pay him.
              I think Marc will be cheaper than Serge because of what you said. I think all three come back though. If we lose Serge, and Marc only plays like 50 games we're not competitive enough. If we keep Serge and lose Marc we're not winning anything in the playoffs.. especially against teams like Philly and Milwaukee.

Masai has had some tough summers, but this one coming up may be his hardest.

Comment

• I don't buy the "McCaw can guard bigger wings" theory, he's too light. Davis & Norm can do it just as well, if not better because they're stronger.

Nurse just thinks McCaw is the best overall player after the 7 champions, as incredible as it may be.

In the payoffs you really just need a 1 guard, 1 wing and 1 big coming off the bench. That should be Norm, RHJ and Serge. The rest are for injury insurance . We got 3 more (TD, Thomas & Boucher) that could work as another guard/wing/big trio for that insurance.

Nurse doesn't think that way though.

Comment

I think Marc will be cheaper than Serge because of what you said. I think all three come back though. If we lose Serge, and Marc only plays like 50 games we're not competitive enough. If we keep Serge and lose Marc we're not winning anything in the playoffs.. especially against teams like Philly and Milwaukee.

Masai has had some tough summers, but this one coming up may be his hardest.
                  The market for bigs is really so wild and unpredictable in this day and age. Everyone assumes Serge is gonna line up a big payday, but you're only worth what you're offered. Is there market for a tweener 4/5 bench/starter that is not elite at any one thing anymore? We may get him back for less than he makes now. Marc I think we can get back for a LOT less than he makes now, but again, does someone like Philly or Milwaukee (or a team out west) that saw first hand what he brings to the table throw the kitchen sink at him for one year playoff drive.

In any event, they make like 45 combined. Freddy makes what 9? that's 54. If Masai is a miracle worker and all 3 can come back for the same or less, sign me up.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                    I don't buy the "McCaw can guard bigger wings" theory, he's too light. Davis & Norm can do it just as well, if not better because they're stronger.

Nurse just thinks McCaw is the best overall player after the 7 champions, as incredible as it may be.

In the payoffs you really just need a 1 guard, 1 wing and 1 big coming off the bench. That should be Norm, RHJ and Serge. The rest are for injury insurance . We got 3 more (TD, Thomas & Boucher) that could work as another guard/wing/big trio for that insurance.

Nurse doesn't think that way though.
                    TD is in the James Johnson books for Nurse. He just doesn't trust him yet. Maybe by next year and another training camp it will be different, but for now, he continually loses his 8th spot that he scratches and claws to earn. is what it is.

Matt Thomas looks like he has a great floor game and hustles as best he can on defense, not to mention one of the best shooters around. Maybe Nick is jealous because he was also a token white guy shooter with a floor game at northern iowa but never made the show

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

TD is in the James Johnson books for Nurse. He just doesn't trust him yet. Maybe by next year and another training camp it will be different, but for now, he continually loses his 8th spot that he scratches and claws to earn. is what it is.

Matt Thomas looks like he has a great floor game and hustles as best he can on defense, not to mention one of the best shooters around. Maybe Nick is jealous because he was also a token white guy shooter with a floor game at northern iowa but never made the show
                      He must have pulled a James and smoked in the plane bathroom prior to takeoff causing the flight to be delayed.
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

He must have pulled a James and smoked in the plane bathroom prior to takeoff causing the flight to be delayed.
                        James..Johnson? First I'm hearing of this

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

James..Johnson? First I'm hearing of this
                          Ya that the rumor why Dwayne always hated him. His first stint with the raptors James blazed in the team plane prior to take off. It set off the smoke alarm and the team had to spend the night in the city they were in while they investigated if there was a problem with the plane. Its a rumor but there is some facts behind it.
                          The team plane was delayed due to a "unspecified problem" and James was benched/ suspended for 1 game following.
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                            The odds are stacked against the Raptors of getting a primetime free agent to sign. So 2020 is very important for this team to maintain a winning culture in preparation for the big free agency dance in the summer of 2021.

a trade for Bradley Beal this summer could be a game changer if the Wizards are ready to change course.

Lillard is also a great pair with Pascal but people are afraid of his magnanimous contract.

Oladipo who is approaching a contract year (2021) this off season is a risky move for Masai but he definitely someone to consider partnering with Siakam.

then let us wait if Toronto is a destination in the summer of 2021 for Giannis
                            More and more I get the feeling that we need another B-star like a Beal or Jimmy Buckets to add to Pascal in order to attract a Giannis. I don't think a superstar at his age is coming to play with Kyle to some degree, but with Gasol or Serge. Masai needs to work some magic prior to 2021 and that doesn't mean bringing back an aging run-it-back-out crew.

No idea how to make those numbers work as I think I've been told before it's impossible

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

More and more I get the feeling that we need another B-star like a Beal or Jimmy Buckets to add to Pascal in order to attract a Giannis. I don't think a superstar at his age is coming to play with Kyle to some degree, but with Gasol or Serge. Masai needs to work some magic prior to 2021 and that doesn't mean bringing back an aging run-it-back-out crew.

No idea how to make those numbers work as I think I've been told before it's impossible
                              The generosity of Portland to give that massive contract to Lillard can make or break a franchise.

But to acquire Giannis, I will offer the moon and the sky. Whatever it takes. Endorsement of any Canadian product from a toilet paper to a gold toilet made in Canada, Trudeau, MLSE, Masai and any capitalist in Canada should have no hesitation.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

You have to list 12 players as active every game even if they are not actually available.
                                Thanks DanH. Are you sure about the 12? GSW had only 8 players dressed and available for their past two games. Looking at the GSW Box score from last night's game vs the WIZARDS, it shows only 11 players, 2 of which Did Not Dress and a third was a DNP. If 12 is the number then I guess what is provided to the NBA is different than the box score provided for media purposes?

Reserves
                                Paschell 33:22
                                Mulder 31:11
                                Poole 27:47
                                Bowman Did Not Play
                                Looney Did Not Dress
                                Green Did Not Dress
                                Last edited by Zak24gege; Mon Mar 2, 2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X