No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control. That’s very unfair.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...eath-covid-19#
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
      “Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control. That’s very unfair.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...eath-covid-19#
      It sucks.. but how many are "many"? If you use the "hundreds of thousands of people".. that's still insignificant because they are using "people worldwide" as their barometer. There are 7.8 billion people in the world. Even if it was 1 million people (and I'm sure it's less otherwise they would have used 1 million as a figure), that's only about 0.012% that will have long term issues from it. I'm sure "many" also get long term health issues from getting the flu and living from it.

The dutch virologist quoted in the article is also 71 years old. So he's not really young either. Was he a smoker? Did he have other health issues that were not disclosed in the article? He's a virus expert.. and we should listen to him. But he's also being pretty emotional because he got hit with the virus. So there is bias there despite him being a scientist.

It's articles like this that make it tough.. because we see a lot of it. Like everyone else I personally don't want Covid and am doing what I can to avoid getting it. I've had the flu and it sucks. Covid I'm sure is a lot worse. But to do what they did to the economy I think is worse. And that's not even considering all the mental health issues that were created from closing everything down.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

It sucks.. but how many are "many"? If you use the "hundreds of thousands of people".. that's still insignificant because they are using "people worldwide" as their barometer. There are 7.8 billion people in the world. Even if it was 1 million people (and I'm sure it's less otherwise they would have used 1 million as a figure), that's only about 0.012% that will have long term issues from it. I'm sure "many" also get long term health issues from getting the flu and living from it.

The dutch virologist quoted in the article is also 71 years old. So he's not really young either. Was he a smoker? Did he have other health issues that were not disclosed in the article? He's a virus expert.. and we should listen to him. But he's also being pretty emotional because he got hit with the virus. So there is bias there despite him being a scientist.

It's articles like this that make it tough.. because we see a lot of it. Like everyone else I personally don't want Covid and am doing what I can to avoid getting it. I've had the flu and it sucks. Covid I'm sure is a lot worse. But to do what they did to the economy I think is worse. And that's not even considering all the mental health issues that were created from closing everything down.
        Bingo. I was gonna write something along those lines then saw your reply. If there are anticipated complications of epidemiological significance, then please let's see some data as a % of the entire population we're sampling from here. Using just yourself or some other random specific case (especially without going into details of the person's overall health prior to it) to try to make a hypothesis, is unscientific. It just targets people's emotions and their fear of the unknown by creating a headline.

I get there are things that take time to be discovered, but the "fear of the unknown" card has been overplayed on this. It's the same tool used to justify and convince people to accept all the indefinite one-size-fits-all lockdowns we've seen. "Well, we don't know what this is, it could kill millions in North America alone". Then we see it was a gross exaggeration. Then it's "wait, what if there's a second wave". At some point science needs to get back to grounded, unbiased epidemiological data rather than just fear-based "what ifs".

There's a cost far beyond the monetary one to overreacting and making decisions just on emotional worst-case scenarios. And on this one that cost is ballooning by the day unfortunately. To many, the emotional, financial and even health toll for this bubble-wrapping is still yet to come, and it won't come cheap if we continue to live cooped up and scared.

Comment

• South Korea is shutting things down again after 13 new cases. 13. Think about that. The US is averaging 30,000 cases a day, and they're already talking about re-opening. The NBA is talking about playoffs in July. That's not happening. I'll stick by what I said before, we won't see team sports till Fall 2021.

Comment

• Bundesliga was supposed to restart their season next week. Now what?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

According to verified reports, Ford was there for 1hr to check on work done, interacted with nobody and went straight home. Nothing to see here.
              adding that doug came out today, to say that people criticizing him had a valid point. said while explaining the situation, and i think it is exactly where the issue with the open/close group comes into focus.

other people also had the exact same concerns about their own properties, and have the exact same concern with when they can check their pipes. it is the goose gander. it is exactly the line of "this is what you can do to stay safe, and please be safe out there", and "leave your house and you get a ticket comrade".

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

adding that doug came out today, to say that people criticizing him had a valid point. said while explaining the situation, and i think it is exactly where the issue with the open/close group comes into focus.

other people also had the exact same concerns about their own properties, and have the exact same concern with when they can check their pipes. it is the goose gander. it is exactly the line of "this is what you can do to stay safe, and please be safe out there", and "leave your house and you get a ticket comrade".
                Premier of Ontario isn't just "other people". Or shouldn't be. C'mon, man. No wonder democratic countries can't get top quality candidates for government leadership anymore. Who wants to put up with the constant lack of respect from the peanut gallery, when you can rake in millions in the private sector?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Premier of Ontario isn't just "other people". Or shouldn't be. C'mon, man. No wonder democratic countries can't get top quality candidates for government leadership anymore. Who wants to put up with the constant lack of respect from the peanut gallery, when you can rake in millions in the private sector?
                  are you suggesting anything but the best and brightest are in the public sector? why i never. lol.

my point is, he knows it is safe for him to go check his shit. he can tell others how to be safe doing it as well. it's thousands of dollars if your pipes burst in the winter of your cottage, and gets worse if you don't fix it.

unless we can infect trees or deer etc. the cottage is probably the safest place for a family to be, if they are city folk.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

are you suggesting anything but the best and brightest are in the public sector? why i never. lol.

my point is, he knows it is safe for him to go check his shit. he can tell others how to be safe doing it as well. it's thousands of dollars if your pipes burst in the winter of your cottage, and gets worse if you don't fix it.

unless we can infect trees or deer etc. the cottage is probably the safest place for a family to be, if they are city folk.
                    The cottage ban is weird, I totally agree, but Ford is just parroting the advice of all those smarty pants science and medical people. They actually were supposed to be the best and brightest.

Comment

• Story on CBC:

"Is it safe to give cards and flowers this Mother's Day?"

Man you can't make that stuff up if you tried...

Be careful when expressing affection or gratitude to your mother tomorrow folks.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                        Story on CBC:

"Is it safe to give cards and flowers this Mother's Day?"

Man you can't make that stuff up if you tried...

Be careful when expressing affection or gratitude to your mother tomorrow folks.
                        well if she is in retirement home maybe you should facetime her instead
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

well if she is in retirement home maybe you should facetime her instead
                          In a retirement home, You hand your flowers to an intermediary PSW. They spray the flowers and plastic down before Grandma (or Mom) gets them. You don't get to hand them to her or hug Mom right now.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

In a retirement home, You hand your flowers to an intermediary PSW. They spray the flowers and plastic down before Grandma (or Mom) gets them. You don't get to hand them to her or hug Mom right now.
                            Ha. Thats if you can even get a worker to set them up on a tablet etc. Havent seen pops since late February and it's like pulling teeth for them to help establish virtual contact. Only phone calls if he answers.

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post

Ha. Thats if you can even get a worker to set them up on a tablet etc. Havent seen pops since late February and it's like pulling teeth for them to help establish virtual contact. Only phone calls if he answers.
                              That sucks. I know they've been doing Zoom calls in many nursing/adult care homes for awhile now.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

That sucks. I know they've been doing Zoom calls in many nursing/adult care homes for awhile now.
                                Yep... my grandfather is in a nursing home and his primary care nurse will facetime/whatsapp video call my mom a few times a week so that they can talk to each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X