Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand something.

If one of the major concerns about covid-19 is asymptomatic carriers and how contagious it is, how would opening up any sports actually work well?

One player could get the virus, be an asymptomatic carrier and potentially pass it on to every other player on each team they play over a 14 day period. It's also possible that player may never show any symptoms. But what if every other player ends up getting sick? That might be disastrous from a PR standpoint for the NBA and may add more fuel to keeping everything shut down for an indefinite time period.

Unless they plan on testing every single person who'll be in the vicinity of the players, including the players, prior to every game and tests are either instantaneous or at least processed in ~24 hours.

For the record, I think it seems more likely that covid-19 is a reality of life at this point and most (if not all) of the world will eventually contract it. People will either survive, get extremely sick and require hospitalization, or potentially die.

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post
      Help me understand something.

If one of the major concerns about covid-19 is asymptomatic carriers and how contagious it is, how would opening up any sports actually work well?

One player could get the virus, be an asymptomatic carrier and potentially pass it on to every other player on each team they play over a 14 day period. It's also possible that player may never show any symptoms. But what if every other player ends up getting sick? That might be disastrous from a PR standpoint for the NBA and may add more fuel to keeping everything shut down for an indefinite time period.

Unless they plan on testing every single person who'll be in the vicinity of the players, including the players, prior to every game and tests are either instantaneous or at least processed in ~24 hours.

For the record, I think it seems more likely that covid-19 is a reality of life at this point and most (if not all) of the world will eventually contract it. People will either survive, get extremely sick and require hospitalization, or potentially die.
      That's all the reality next year too. That's why this fear of opening up is dumb. Staying closed another week or month doesn't prevent any deaths really, it just delays them, unfortunate as it is to say. I guess we gotta wait till this vaccine to feel truly secure again which sucks. Maybe herd immunity will beat it there because deaths seem to be slowing in most regions. And to your last sentence: a majority of people are asymptomatic or very few symptoms, especially pro athletes.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Help me understand something.

logistically every player and staff would be tested before entering the "bubble". Including hotel staff, refs anyone who would be into contact with the players.
        Then the players try to keep contact with anyone outside the team minimal so if a hotel staff or someone gets it they would be minimal risk. Disney world is big enough so the staff could realistically live there and not contact the outside world.
        In theory if everyone is virus free when they enter the bubble and they stick to the guideline they wouldn't be a host for the virus to spread. I'm sure there would be tons of people willing to go live in disney land that can help facilitate this as unemployment is high and who wouldn't want to be part of such a cool atmosphere. Maybe the staff can even get to fill the stands up a little bit.
        The NBA could retest everyone maybe after every series or they could choose not to in case an asymptomatic test would shut things down.
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• expecting a lot of people to hire "cooks" and "housekeepers" in Ontario this week as rules on social gatherings continue to be in place.

We are reaching the point of apathy. Regardless of what Doug and co. say, there are and will be gatherings occuring. This province has used up their lockdown card and frankly speaking gained very little in the process. We didn't keep it out of LTC and we don't have a particularly clear strategy at the provincial level for contact tracing.

People are going to go back to their lives accepting the fact that life is slightly more risky than it used to be.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

That's all the reality next year too. That's why this fear of opening up is dumb. Staying closed another week or month doesn't prevent any deaths really, it just delays them, unfortunate as it is to say. I guess we gotta wait till this vaccine to feel truly secure again which sucks. Maybe herd immunity will beat it there because deaths seem to be slowing in most regions. And to your last sentence: a majority of people are asymptomatic or very few symptoms, especially pro athletes.
            From what I've read so far, it's possible we may never get an effective vaccine. Without getting into the details, apparently it has to do with how Covid-19 infects us versus other viruses. This article was pretty interesting:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...razer/12146616

The challenge of respiratory infections

There are several reasons why our upper respiratory tract is a hard area to target a vaccine.

"It's a separate immune system, if you like, which isn't easily accessible by vaccine technology," Professor Frazer told the Health Report.

Despite your upper respiratory tract feeling very much like it's insideyour body, it's effectively considered an external surface for the purposes of immunisation.

"It's a bit like trying to get a vaccine to kill a virus on the surface of your skin."
            I agree with you - closing things for another week, month or year will only delay the inevitable.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
              expecting a lot of people to hire "cooks" and "housekeepers" in Ontario this week as rules on social gatherings continue to be in place.

We are reaching the point of apathy. Regardless of what Doug and co. say, there are and will be gatherings occuring. This province has used up their lockdown card and frankly speaking gained very little in the process. We didn't keep it out of LTC and we don't have a particularly clear strategy at the provincial level for contact tracing.

People are going to go back to their lives accepting the fact that life is slightly more risky than it used to be.

Yep - I know a lot of people who feel this way. I know I do...

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

logistically every player and staff would be tested before entering the "bubble". Including hotel staff, refs anyone who would be into contact with the players.
                Then the players try to keep contact with anyone outside the team minimal so if a hotel staff or someone gets it they would be minimal risk. Disney world is big enough so the staff could realistically live there and not contact the outside world.
                In theory if everyone is virus free when they enter the bubble and they stick to the guideline they wouldn't be a host for the virus to spread. I'm sure there would be tons of people willing to go live in disney land that can help facilitate this as unemployment is high and who wouldn't want to be part of such a cool atmosphere. Maybe the staff can even get to fill the stands up a little bit.
                The NBA could retest everyone maybe after every series or they could choose not to in case an asymptomatic test would shut things down.
                I get that, but there's still a chance that someone could get infected and it could pass through everyone like a wildfire, given how contagious Covid-19 is.

Comment

I get that, but there's still a chance that someone could get infected and it could pass through everyone like a wildfire, given how contagious Covid-19 is.
                  Sure but theres if no o e is contacting people outside the bubble and everyone comes in clean that chance is low.
                  theres small rural town all across canada that havent had any cases.
                  my home town is 3500 people and no one has had a case there. Its doable to keep thousands of people in a bubble.
                  NBA and NHL have to weight the cost benefit of revenue vs potential P.R. I dont actually think the P.R cost is that high as the only nightmare would be a death resulting in someone's family who was I the bubble.
                  NBA and NHL are probably in the best spot they just have to do this for 2 months max to finish the season.
                  MLB and NFL may have to try and do a whole season that way.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

That's all the reality next year too. That's why this fear of opening up is dumb. Staying closed another week or month doesn't prevent any deaths really, it just delays them
                    But that's the point. They're trying to delay as much as possible while science catches up. They're trying to delay as much as possible so that the medical field can keep up. Are the measures too steep right now? Maybe but this is all a new frontier for the western world and a balance needs to be found.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

But that's the point. They're trying to delay as much as possible while science catches up. They're trying to delay as much as possible so that the medical field can keep up. Are the measures too steep right now? Maybe but this is all a new frontier for the western world and a balance needs to be found.
                      What is your interpretation or idea of the balance that needs to be found?

Comment

• Good news day!
                        Looks like the NBA is setting up to try and make this happen

Comment

What is your interpretation or idea of the balance that needs to be found?
                          Not sure what you're asking me exactly. Are you asking me to define what I think the balance should be?

Comment

Good news day!
                            Looks like the NBA is setting up to try and make this happen
                            Canadian border is closed to the US and vice versa. How does this play out for the Raptors? Maybe they should adopt an American city as home base until things stabilize?

There was a pentagon draft report leaked the other day that stated the summer of 2021 is when a vaccine will possibly be available.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Canadian border is closed to the US and vice versa. How does this play out for the Raptors? Maybe they should adopt an American city as home base until things stabilize?

There was a pentagon draft report leaked the other day that stated the summer of 2021 is when a vaccine will possibly be available.
                              I think they would make an exception for these guys. Get the guys who are in U.S in Canada to ramp up training in T.O and then they all leave together to go to Disney World till we win the chip, Zoom parade, good times ahead.
                              Trump seems pretty gungho to get sports back on so it would probably be the Canadian side that would have the final say if they wouldn't let it happen. I wouldn't expect it to be too big of a hurdle. Have the guys from U.S isolate for 14 days if need be

Comment

I think they would make an exception for these guys. Get the guys who are in U.S in Canada to ramp up training in T.O and then they all leave together to go to Disney World till we win the chip, Zoom parade, good times ahead.
                                Trump seems pretty gungho to get sports back on so it would probably be the Canadian side that would have the final say if they wouldn't let it happen. I wouldn't expect it to be too big of a hurdle. Have the guys from U.S isolate for 14 days if need be
                                Might be easier to just get them down to Florida right away, making the one exception. I can see the complaints now about the double standards and the complainers would have a point. People like apples, wine, etc. all these industries are in at least partial limbo due to border restrictions.

Comment

Working...
                                X