X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Good news day!
    Looks like the NBA is setting up to try and make this happen
    Seems like the summer is gonna have lots of playoffs leading right into nfl season..haven't heard anything about baseball but their ratings are gonna take a huge hit from.this if they come back
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Might be easier to just get them down to Florida right away, making the one exception. I can see the complaints now about the double standards and the complainers would have a point. People like apples, wine, etc. all these industries are in at least partial limbo due to border restrictions.
      Arnt goods passing freely? Thought it was just human traffic that is blocked?
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Seems like the summer is gonna have lots of playoffs leading right into nfl season..haven't heard anything about baseball but their ratings are gonna take a huge hit from.this if they come back
        I think the MLB owners are being greedy. Asking for players to prorate their salary or do a 50/50 split of revenue which would be a big pay cut for the players

Comment

I think the MLB owners are being greedy. Asking for players to prorate their salary or do a 50/50 split of revenue which would be a big pay cut for the players
          Not that I sympathize with billionaires, but it's a little tougher because regular season baseball is so gate driven, and the few teams that do big local and national numbers like the Yankees and red Sox share a lot of that revenue. Whereas hockey and basketball already paid most of their 19-20 salaries and are just trying to fulfill their hefty TV obligations

Comment

Human trafficking business has taken a hit during covid. Hopefully they dont get government bailout

Comment

Not that I sympathize with billionaires, but it's a little tougher because regular season baseball is so gate driven, and the few teams that do big local and national numbers like the Yankees and red Sox share a lot of that revenue. Whereas hockey and basketball already paid most of their 19-20 salaries and are just trying to fulfill their hefty TV obligations
              Ya tough to ask a pitcher whose in the prime of his career go out their on a contract year for less money and risk throwing out this elbow/shoulder. I think it being the only league that doesnt have a salary cap muddys the water a bit

Comment

Migrant workers greatly support Canadian manufactured/harvested products.

No smart ass Keon response required.
                ​​​

Comment

• US and Canada both made pretty quick adjustments to their travel restrictions after they recognized the economic impact of restricting entrance for temporary work visas in certain sectors. The NBA should be able to work something out.

It's not only Canada/US, presumably some guys are in other countries by now?

And no, there's not zero chance of transmission in an NBA bubble, but there would be a severely reduced rate of transmission vs normal operations with 18,000 fans in an arena. I wish gov't would make it more clear that this is the goal, not zero transmissions.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• A drug being tested by scientists at China’s prestigious Peking University could not only shorten the recovery time for those infected, but even offer short-term immunity from the virus, researchers say.
                    https://www.timesofisrael.com/scient...thout-vaccine/

Comment

• Just heard on the radio that in Alberta there are 58 people currently in the hospital with covid, 51 of which not in ICU. Alberta population = ~4,410,000.

Comment

Good news day!
                        Looks like the NBA is setting up to try and make this happen
                        Do they have any plan for the older coaches? staff? some of these coaches are 70 yrs old.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                          Just heard on the radio that in Alberta there are 58 people currently in the hospital with covid, 51 of which not in ICU. Alberta population = ~4,410,000.
                          It's been consistent throughout. Theres a small handful in rockyview. Wifey works in long term care and they're constantly testing old people feeling under the weather and they're consistently testing negative

Comment

It's been consistent throughout. Theres a small handful in rockyview. Wifey works in long term care and they're constantly testing old people feeling under the weather and they're consistently testing negative
                            Yeah when you look back you start to see how off the estimates were.

On March 20th, BC cleared thousands of beds for covid (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5505356)

The highest number of hospital beds occupied in BC in one day for this was 149 (April 2nd). BC's population = ~ 5,100,000. Numbers countrywide are probably not that far statistically.

These numbers are actually pretty hard to find, you gotta dig. We'll never see on the same news piece how many beds were set aside for this in the whole country, and what was the highest number of them actually used in a given day.

Another one that I've been searching high and low for awhile is the number of deaths of people under 80, as a % of our population, updated daily. I finally found it, buried on a government pdf for healthcare workers. I'll save that to post it on Monday though, which will be full 4 months since the first case in Canada. Stay tuned.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah when you look back you start to see how off the estimates were.

On March 20th, BC cleared thousands of beds for covid (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5505356)

The highest number of hospital beds occupied in BC in one day for this was 149 (April 2nd). BC's population = ~ 5,100,000. Numbers countrywide are probably not that far statistically.

These numbers are actually pretty hard to find, you gotta dig. We'll never see on the same news piece how many beds were set aside for this in the whole country, and what was the highest number of them actually used in a given day.
                              In ontario our COVID ICU usage peaked around 250. We're down around 160 now. I had heard we had created an additional ~1000 ventilated critical care beds in the province as well as clearing a reasonable portion of our base capacity. I'm not sure we ever actually exceeded our baseline capacity, although in fairness we did cancel a lot of electives.

inthepaint wrote: View Post

Another one that I've been searching high and low for awhile is the number of deaths of people under 80, as a % of our population, updated daily. I finally found it, buried on a government pdf for healthcare workers. I'll save that to post it on Monday though, which will be full 4 months since the first case in Canada. Stay tuned.
                              these are the numbers that officials really don't want to release. When they do become widely known, there will be widespread spurning of public health measures by a huge portion of the working age population.

It was known from the beginning that this thing was massively age-striated. This paper was published in march: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2763667. It shows case fatality rates of 20% for >80, and <1% for under 60. In the general population the case fatality rates (based on confirmed cases only) would over-estimate the infection fatality rates by around a factor of 10-20 (due to missing 90-95% of cases, which seems to be the consensus of most of the blood antibody tests coming out now)

Recent patient characteristic reports from Italy (https://www.epicentro.iss.it/en/coro...7_may_2020.pdf) showed that of their 28 000 deaths, only 66 of them were under 40 and only 320 of them under 50. Furthermore only 3% of deaths had no comorbidities.

I am not a conspiracy theorist nor a "yahoo" but pragmatically I don't expect you can ask people to sacrifice their livelihood and their children's future to save 80+ year olds for very much longer.
                              Last edited by KHD; Wed May 20, 2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Not sure what you're asking me exactly. Are you asking me to define what I think the balance should be?
                                Correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X