Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post

But then you also have colds, which is part of the coronavirus family too, and people are not immune to that. They just fight it off.

I'm basing my skepticism on this article: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...onavirus/2/#h6

I know that with the flu, they inject you with a "dead" version of the strain they THINK will be circulating that year to prep your body from it. But from what I've gathered thus far, nobody truly knows what will happen with this new virus and how our bodies will adapt, and how long the potential immunity will last.
    Well, then we're screwed. The very ability to make a vaccine depends on people being capable of developing immunity after being exposed to viral antigens. The fact that they're working on a vaccine tells me that's the probably the case. This is a lot more like the flu (for which there is a shot) then the cold virus. Might be that there'll be a shot every year for it, but there will be something.
    2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      WestJet just halved its workforce.
      AirTransat one-upped them and laid off 70% of their workers. They're a lot smaller than Westjet though. Might go under altogether after it's all said and done.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

You people should all wash your hands
        "You people" did wash their hands....... of Don Cherry.

Comment

• States passing Italy tonight

Comment

• Day One wrote: View Post
            States passing Italy tonight
            Not as a % of the population they're not. Italy's population is 60M, U.S. is 331M.

That's for sure a headline grabber though, which is why the media loves to use it

Comment

• To me it seems like we got passed the first hurdle of the original overload of the Health care system.
              Nba was canceled two weeks ago tomorrow and that's when most people started realizing how serious this was.
              Canada and U.S have been in lockdown for about 10 days. By friday/saturday it will have been the 14 days. the maximum time it takes to show symptoms since we started to shut everything down. So the last of the cases of people who would have been interacting in a normal day to day tasks will have likely already gotten sick or will get sick in the next couple days.
              After that cases will date post-quarantine were all big gatherings like schools, gyms, concerts, sporting events have been shut down and infectious rate will decrease greatly because of this. The 1st hospital overload would have been this week, and it seems we made it past that.
              I also hope they begin to report the number of people recovered in addition to the number of people infected. I have been overloaded with Rona news and have stopped looking at news storys over the past few day because its just too much and anxiety inducing.
              I get the point to not let these college spring breaker types think that its over but some nice reporting of hundreds of people who recovered which should start happening this week would be very nice
              Last edited by bertarapsfan; Tue Mar 24th, 2020, 10:58 PM.
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

AirTransat one-upped them and laid off 70% of their workers. They're a lot smaller than Westjet though. Might go under altogether after it's all said and done.
                  900,000 Canadian lost their jobs last week. Not sure exactly but that's a significant percentage of the workforce. If it's as much this week, that's got to be over 10% of all jobs lost. The feds just passed their relief package today. The $2,000/month is great and the tax deferments. The rest will be given to Liberal cronies but at least everyone has a shot at the $2,000.

Comment

• Canada just now finally requiring mandatory quarantine for international travelers. I don't even know how you chalk that up to incompetence at this point....

Comment

Canada just now finally requiring mandatory quarantine for international travelers. I don't even know how you chalk that up to incompetence at this point....
                      Dont worry! Everybody is getting government allowances!
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Not as a % of the population they're not. Italy's population is 60M, U.S. is 331M.

That's for sure a headline grabber though, which is why the media loves to use it
                        NY state will pass Italy in a couple of days at this rate, with one-third the population

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

NY state will pass Italy in a couple of days at this rate, with one-third the population
                          Not a mystery why NYC was hit so hard. Cuomo had to do the mayor's job for him and NYC authorities were not only still late to the party but actively thwarting the state trying to help them.

Comment

• sure, but my intent was not to look for explanations.

i was just responding to inthepaint's comment which seems to downplay the severity of the situation in the US and accuse the media of sensationalizing things. if they want to sensationalize anything they could report that the spread of the virus in NY has already surpassed that of Italy, as a percentage of the population, in much less time while projecting to get much worse.

Comment

Canada just now finally requiring mandatory quarantine for international travelers. I don't even know how you chalk that up to incompetence at this point....
                              The Liberal government's reaction to any situation is first to make sure one single person isn't offended. So it pretty much takes weeks or months before they can decide what to do on any issue. God forbid the Russians don't decide to invade us. We'll all be enslaved by the time Trudeau figures out that we need to protect ourselves, while contemplating the appropriate response so that 4th generation Russian-Canadians aren't offended.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The Liberal government's reaction to any situation is first to make sure one single person isn't offended. So it pretty much takes weeks or months before they can decide what to do on any issue. God forbid the Russians don't decide to invade us. We'll all be enslaved by the time Trudeau figures out that we need to protect ourselves, while contemplating the appropriate response so that 4th generation Russian-Canadians aren't offended.
                                Not wanting to politicize the Cdn response to Covid, but do you seriously think the Conservatives would have handled this differently/better?

By most accounts, Canada has handled this better than most countries, and those that have fared better did so because the population did what they were told when they were told to do it. A large subset of our population is not geared to listen so intently to government directives until they feel personally affected. I imagine if Trudeau had tried to close the border 6 weeks ago, the same people now saying it took too long would have been saying it was a ridiculous Liberal government overreaction.
                                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X