Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Read an interesting article about the outbreak in Italy. Apparently they had a three times higher incidence of respiratory problems than the European average, possibly because the average age of Italians is higher and the incidence of cigarette smoking is higher as well. And northern Italy has a high concentration of Chinese textile workers in textile mills owned and run by Chinese. A large number of the workers went back to Wuhan to celebrate the lunar new year. And then returned. As the news about the outbreak in Wuhan hit the media, people started shunning the Chinese workers. Various groups started commenting on racism. So the mayor of the major city in the center of the textile district opened up a "Hug a Chinese" movement. That is the short version as I read it. This may be old news, but I have only heard pieces of it before today's article. Sorry, no link. I read through so much stuff a day I don't expect to be able to find it easily. And I don't have time. A lot more COVID-19 stuff to read.
    I've also heard that many Chinese foreign students attend schools in northern Italy and it spread rapidly there because Italians do the kiss on the cheek thing when greeting people. Exposure was a problem there just as it is anywhere, however they didn't seem to be able to minimize the infection rate by taking the necessary measures soon enough.

We can try and minimize exposure to COVID-19 as much as possible, but I compare it to taking a UV light to a cheap motel room. Chances are it is everywhere. However, exposure doesn't mean infection, so take the proper measures to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Comment

• This still might be my favorite place to go to read about even this virus. Lots of different opinions but are most are well respected, and level headed, and willing to listen. You can't this kind of discussion on reddit, you certainly can't find it on facebook. Cheers RR, hope all is well as it can be
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I understand percentages and death rates and all that but 800 people is fucking a lot to me.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

I understand percentages and death rates and all that but 800 people is fucking a lot to me.
          Absolutely, it's turned tragic in several places

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I've also heard that many Chinese foreign students attend schools in northern Italy and it spread rapidly there because Italians do the kiss on the cheek thing when greeting people. Exposure was a problem there just as it is anywhere, however they didn't seem to be able to minimize the infection rate by taking the necessary measures soon enough.

We can try and minimize exposure to COVID-19 as much as possible, but I compare it to taking a UV light to a cheap motel room. Chances are it is everywhere. However, exposure doesn't mean infection, so take the proper measures to protect yourself and your loved ones.
            It's going to be really interesting (not trying to be morbid) in hindsight to look at the factors for the locations with the worst outbreaks. Northern Italy has been terrible while the rest of Italy has actually been pretty average in terms of impact. The virus has just taken off in New York. Early response is important across the board, but there are some things in some of these locations specifically that contributed to worse outcomes.

Identifying some of the factors that create local vulnerability to a pandemic will be super important, scientists have been warning us for years we're prone and unprepared for the next big pandemic. Some permanent systemic changes will definitely come out of this and may affect some people (large, densely populated urban areas?) more than others.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Just on the news, huge crowds close together to watch a cruise ship come in. Most within a few feet of each other, few wearing masks etc. If you're concerned enough to wear a mas, why are you joining a huge group of gawkers at a fence? Bizarre

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

It's going to be really interesting (not trying to be morbid) in hindsight to look at the factors for the locations with the worst outbreaks. Northern Italy has been terrible while the rest of Italy has actually been pretty average in terms of impact. The virus has just taken off in New York. Early response is important across the board, but there are some things in some of these locations specifically that contributed to worse outcomes.

Identifying some of the factors that create local vulnerability to a pandemic will be super important, scientists have been warning us for years we're prone and unprepared for the next big pandemic. Some permanent systemic changes will definitely come out of this and may affect some people (large, densely populated urban areas?) more than others.

Population density perhaps?

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  This still might be my favorite place to go to read about even this virus. Lots of different opinions but are most are well respected, and level headed, and willing to listen. You can't this kind of discussion on reddit, you certainly can't find it on facebook. Cheers RR, hope all is well as it can be
                  Yes, hope everyone is doing well and is healthy!

EDIT: And yeah, disasters bring out the best in some people and the worst in others. It's useful to pay attention to who those people are for future reference....

Comment

• Does anyone else find it strange that when you google "coronavirus" you automatically get force fed the death and case count by country, almost like the Olympic medal race every couple years?

Does anyone else also find it strange peoples lives have been upended EVERYWHERE, like even in Guatemala, a 4 PM curfew/lockdown, where they have 2 cases for every million people?

Comment

Does anyone else find it strange that when you google "coronavirus" you automatically get force fed the death and case count by country, almost like the Olympic medal race every couple years?

Does anyone else also find it strange peoples lives have been upended EVERYWHERE, like even in Guatemala, a 4 PM curfew/lockdown, where they have 2 cases for every million people?
                      Not strange at all ... this is a pandemic unlike anything the modern world has ever seen. As I said previously, this is not something that should be sugarcoated. People need to be informed on what this is actually doing to the world, and not just be told "it's no biggy, you'll probably survive"...that's not the issue. The issue is spreading it to people who probably won't survive.

Also, Guatemala likely doesn't have the testing availability that many other countries do, so rather than take the risk assuming only 2 cases exist throughout the country (which is very likely NOT the case), shut everything down for a few weeks, and be safe.

I had thought this goes without saying, but now I'm seeing it probably doesn't ... you shouldn't fuck around with Pandemics.
                      Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 31, 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                        ... you shouldn't fuck around with Pandemics.
                        Whoa. What? When did this start. WTF dude. Caught me off guard there./Sarc

Comment

• For every 80 people that Recover, 20 have Died. We're currently doubling total cases on a weekly basis.
                          I don't understand how people are still questioning validity or urgency of the situation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Whoa. What? When did this start. WTF dude. Caught me off guard there./Sarc
                            LOL I know right?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              For every 80 people that Recover, 20 have Died. We're currently doubling total cases on a weekly basis.
                              I don't understand how people are still questioning validity or urgency of the situation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
                              For every 80 people tested and recovered****.

They wont test me here, no matter how many symptoms I have. They just tell me to stay home and watch tiger king.

Comment

For every 80 people tested and recovered****.

They wont test me here, no matter how many symptoms I have. They just tell me to stay home and watch tiger king.
                                Ok. And in the US, where they are moving toward having the most tests done in the world, if not already, for every ~65 Recovered, ~35 people have Died. So that's actually worse than the worldwide stats.

Anyway, not sure what your point was ... are you trying to say it's not as serious as it actually is? Really?

Comment

Working...
                                X