Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    Looking at the US COVID-19 numbers in todays G&M and with roughly 4.3% of the worlds population, it has approx. 1/3rd of the reported cases and over 1/4 the number of deaths. This is also the country that spends the most per capita on healthcare. Something to be proud of!
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      This is a case where it’s hard to blame politicians entirely because the smartest doctors and scientists in the world have been exposed as either incompetent or corrupted. And that’s who everybody is taking their cues from.
      Yes, Mr. Ford makes it clear who's calling the shots - it's the Chief Medical Officer of Health and his / her public health experts who will determine when it's time. Ahhh, Mr Ford can now say, guys I really want to get rolling, but, I have to wait for the most cautious and conservative people in the room to say go! Now I don't have a problem with the health experts being so cautious and conservative as that is their job, but, there has to be a balance between practical and perfection. It seems that all the practical voices will be on a listening tour of small business people and others negatively impacted by the over reach of government. I would suggest it is the political leadership that is to blame. Finding a convenient 'bad-cop' may be a wise political move yet it does nothing to keep hundreds of small businesses from failing and the unemployment that causes or individuals suffering waiting for a medical procedure. To me, that is lack of leadership.

      Comment


      • Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

        Comment


        • https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-with-an-early-focus-on-seniors-residences-kingston-has-so-far/

          With an early focus on seniors’ residences, Kingston has so far avoided the brunt of COVID-19

          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

          Comment


          • Thousands of surgeries cancelled overall an d 35 people have died in ON waiting for delayed heart surgeries
            Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Apr 28th, 2020, 03:00 PM.

            Comment


            • Zak24gege wrote: View Post
              Looking at the US COVID-19 numbers in todays G&M and with roughly 4.3% of the worlds population, it has approx. 1/3rd of the reported cases and over 1/4 the number of deaths. This is also the country that spends the most per capita on healthcare. Something to be proud of!
              Now do Europe....

              EDIT: Or Quebec. Now, granted, Alberta pays for their health care but even so.

              Comment


              • Zak24gege wrote: View Post

                Yes, Mr. Ford makes it clear who's calling the shots - it's the Chief Medical Officer of Health and his / her public health experts who will determine when it's time. Ahhh, Mr Ford can now say, guys I really want to get rolling, but, I have to wait for the most cautious and conservative people in the room to say go! Now I don't have a problem with the health experts being so cautious and conservative as that is their job, but, there has to be a balance between practical and perfection. It seems that all the practical voices will be on a listening tour of small business people and others negatively impacted by the over reach of government. I would suggest it is the political leadership that is to blame. Finding a convenient 'bad-cop' may be a wise political move yet it does nothing to keep hundreds of small businesses from failing and the unemployment that causes or individuals suffering waiting for a medical procedure. To me, that is lack of leadership.
                Each of the provinces has outlined the need for steady decline, or at least clear leveling off, over 2+ week period. Saskatchewan and NB achieved that already. Alberta and Ontario both had new highs in the last few days. That is why they haven't issued any actual dates yet. Mid may is the hopeful target, late May expected target.
                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                Comment


                • Why do none of you post in the Politics thread, when that's clearly what most of you want to discuss here? Lol

                  Comment


                  • Joey wrote: View Post
                    Why do none of you post in the Politics thread, when that's clearly what most of you want to discuss here? Lol
                    Nobody actually wants to be posting in here, but since Covid is causing some unprecedented political decisions to be made that are affecting billions of people - it's pretty much intertwined.

                    Comment


                    • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                      Each of the provinces has outlined the need for steady decline, or at least clear leveling off, over 2+ week period. Saskatchewan and NB achieved that already. Alberta and Ontario both had new highs in the last few days. That is why they haven't issued any actual dates yet. Mid may is the hopeful target, late May expected target.
                      At least in AB a big reason for the cases is increased testing. Now, everyone is eligible for testing. That is way different from before. Like when I was sick in early March they would not test me even though I had every symptom in the book at the time because I had not travelled and had no contact with a confirmed case. Now, I would definitely be tested. The testing regime is a big factor in all this that seems to be underplayed.

                      Comment


                      • slaw wrote: View Post

                        At least in AB a big reason for the cases is increased testing. Now, everyone is eligible for testing. That is way different from before. Like when I was sick in early March they would not test me even though I had every symptom in the book at the time because I had not travelled and had no contact with a confirmed case. Now, I would definitely be tested. The testing regime is a big factor in all this that seems to be underplayed.
                        Oh no question, which is why the whole reporting has been a joke since day 1, its more accurate to see a % of tests that are positive each day, and not just a raw number. But raw numbers appeal to people, and for whatever reason, every premier and health minister coast to coast has been saying the same thing: they're using the new cases raw numbers data to indicate phases of reopening.

                        Here's a good graphic of the stat I much prefer, the % that test positive. It seems Calgary and South of it are the only areas of any real concern. Edmonton and everything else has been low through the whole thing.

                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • Joey wrote: View Post
                          Why do none of you post in the Politics thread, when that's clearly what most of you want to discuss here? Lol
                          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                          Comment


                          • Here is a NY Times article on the approach Sweden has taken. They, for the most part, stayed open with limits placed on the size of gatherings and relied on individuals to be responsible once they know the facts of transmission. They too have been late with adequate protection measures given that this virus is most deadly among the most frail individuals in our societies. With their approach, a comparatively large percentage of the population (compared to most other nations) will be exposed to the virus thus getting them somewhat closer to herd immunity..

                            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/w...pgtype=Article

                            Comment


                            • Zak24gege wrote: View Post
                              Here is a NY Times article on the approach Sweden has taken. They, for the most part, stayed open with limits placed on the size of gatherings and relied on individuals to be responsible once they know the facts of transmission. They too have been late with adequate protection measures given that this virus is most deadly among the most frail individuals in our societies. With their approach, a comparatively large percentage of the population (compared to most other nations) will be exposed to the virus thus getting them somewhat closer to herd immunity..

                              https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/w...pgtype=Article
                              In contrast: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/europe/sweden-coronavirus-lockdown-strategy-intl/index.html

                              Sweden says its coronavirus approach has worked. The numbers suggest a different story


                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                              Comment


                              • Sweden has the 7th highest deaths per population of all countries with a major outbreak, about 3X that of Canada. They are also practicing social distancing just like we are, just with a few more things open. They haven’t completely overwhelmed their medical system so that’s good, but we’ll have to wait and see if their herd immunity gambit pays off.

                                and if they were tracking deaths like Belgium is...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X