No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have this feeling that over 70% of the population will end up getting this virus eventually. You can't stop social gathering forever.. and I'm sure it will be back by the fall. Humans just need to develop an immunity over time. And hospitals need to create a better triage program to decide who they want to help and who should go home and fight it on their own.

I just don't see this disappearing. It'll be like another virus that humans will have to deal with.. like the chicken pox.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      I have this feeling that over 70% of the population will end up getting this virus eventually. You can't stop social gathering forever.. and I'm sure it will be back by the fall. Humans just need to develop an immunity over time. And hospitals need to create a better triage program to decide who they want to help and who should go home and fight it on their own.

I just don't see this disappearing. It'll be like another virus that humans will have to deal with.. like the chicken pox.
      I agree - until the develop a vaccine for it. Which likely won't be available until next year. But who knows... maybe sooner.... I hope.

Comment

• The steps are warrantied right now. But it's going to be very hard if not impossible to tell people in western democratic country's to self isolate for 6-18 months until a vaccine is developed. Which is also a slippery slope what i think Keon is getting at. I think China was on the verge of losing the populations trust and they have the most powerful, autocratic government outside of north Korea.
        The thing im most worried about is some type of identification process coming into fruition. Along the lines of identifying who has caught the virus, who had a vaccine and who has neither. If talks like that start to come up im officially out on the Rona.
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Ultimately, the choice is either a) listen to your instinct, throw in your lot with the idiots still going to spring break and holding St Patrick's Day parties or b) actually listen to the scientists, researchers and doctors who have a better idea than any of us what is appropriate and what is overkill, and who are recommending this as a bare minimum and ideally even more isolation/shutdowns than have been implemented.
          (I want to preface that this as a blanket post and not directed at any one poster previous to this.)

I love this RR community --- and I know we're all unsure what's to come right now.

I also know we can sometimes be very fond of our "I told you so" moments on this site --- and if we largely come out the other end of this thing miraculously unscathed, I'd encourage any of us who predicted that outcome to trumpet our certitudes retrospectively, with even Marc-Gasol-at-a-parade levels of enthusiasm.

In the meantime, I hope we can continue to do our best not to spray counter-productive ideas around, like we're Kyrie Irving, asserting the world is flat...

I'd implore people not to speak dismissively of this crisis...

Please... Now, more than ever, our voice on platforms like this, in forums like this, has the potential to sway one person this way or the other, or dozens of people this way or the other, and for all we know, it could be at the risk of not one, but many people's lives.

Our friend's sister just came home from the hospital where she works here in Toronto and was on the verge of a breakdown.
          This is a text exchange (redacted for names):

There's a very real chance that this thing is gonna be ... real.

I'm not trying to tell people not to, or how to speak their minds.
          But I'd be grateful for us to at least temporarily put our trust in the scientists, doctors, nurses and health officials that are telling us how we should be preparing, and doing their best to get us through this thing.

And yes, a profound thank you to every individual who is still working to keep our infrastructure running. If the rest of us do our part, it could be enough to keep you safe. We can't overwhelm the system.

So far, myself, as a person who's self-employed and whose income is tenuous (though thankfully okay for the moment), I have to say, I'm grateful for the actions our government is taking, and am optimistic that we'll all be properly assisted, in this difficult time.

Presently, I sit here, extremely grateful, ...on my couch.

Please...

Stay calm. Stay hopeful.

And if you can... as difficult as it may be...

STAY INSIDE

...or at least as clear of others as you possibly can.

Stay safe.

Much love fam.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

(I want to preface that this as a blanket post and not directed at any one poster previous to this.)

I love this RR community --- and I know we're all unsure what's to come right now.

I also know we can sometimes be very fond of our "I told you so" moments on this site --- and if we largely come out the other end of this thing miraculously unscathed, I'd encourage any of us who predicted that outcome to trumpet our certitudes retrospectively, with even Marc-Gasol-at-a-parade levels of enthusiasm.

In the meantime, I hope we can continue to do our best not to spray counter-productive ideas around, like we're Kyrie Irving, asserting the world is flat...

Please... Now, more than ever, our voice on platforms like this, in forums like this, has the potential to sway one person this way or the other, or dozens of people this way or the other, and for all we know, it could be at the risk of not one, but many people's lives.

Our friend's sister just came home from the hospital where she works here in Toronto and was on the verge of a breakdown.

But I'd be grateful for us to at least temporarily put our trust in the scientists, doctors, nurses and health officials that are telling us how we should be preparing, and doing their best to get us through this thing.

And yes, a profound thank you to every individual who is still working to keep our infrastructure running. If the rest of us do our part, it could be enough to keep you safe. We can't overwhelm the system.

So far, myself, as a person who's self-employed and whose income is tenuous (though thankfully okay for the moment), I have to say, I'm grateful for the actions our government is taking, and am optimistic that we'll all be properly assisted, in this difficult time.

Please...

Stay calm. Stay hopeful.

STAY INSIDE

Stay safe.

Much love fam.
            I work at a hospital too. I haven't been back to work since Feb 19 when I had surgery. That was followed by a prebooked trip to Guyana. Arrived home yesterday and sat in plane on tarmac for almost an hour until Health Canada cleared us to come in(not as bad as Monday when a flight from Jamaica sat 4 hours). Practicing Social distancing. But when we went into Customs it was a madhouse sooooo many people. Now I'm off for 14 days self isolation. I just wonder how many of the others there will honestly do it right.
            Oh yes the hospital part. A chinese doctor was caught stealing masks to send back to his native china.

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post

I work at a hospital too. I haven't been back to work since Feb 19 when I had surgery. That was followed by a prebooked trip to Guyana. Arrived home yesterday and sat in plane on tarmac for almost an hour until Health Canada cleared us to come in(not as bad as Monday when a flight from Jamaica sat 4 hours). Practicing Social distancing. But when we went into Customs it was a madhouse sooooo many people. Now I'm off for 14 days self isolation. I just wonder how many of the others there will honestly do it right.
              Oh yes the hospital part. A chinese doctor was caught stealing masks to send back to his native china.
              3M N95 masks are made in China. I have a contract with a chain of medical clinics; Medical Director said all 3M masks being made are being kept in China, the doctor must have been stealing for family.

Comment

• Marcus Smart has tested positive. Apparently two Lakers players too
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                  Marcus Smart has tested positive. Apparently two Lakers players too
                  And 3 people in the sixer organizations. Unclear if its players or coaches or support staff
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• I really do not understand why we did not ban all travel to China when this virus originally broke out. And then when it started going to other countries we should of banned all travel outside Canada. It was the last thing we did...

How long are we going to be able to have everything shut down though? Eventually business's are going to go broke. Eventually the world must go on,I don't think the government can afford to pay people to stay home for a year, and alot of people can't afford to stay out of work for that long without help.

I do feel for the people that are or have family or friends that are ill or elderly that live with them. Definitely a scary time for them.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Please...

Stay calm. Stay hopeful.

STAY INSIDE

Stay safe.

Much love fam.
                      Bada Boom.

Comment

• HogieTime wrote: View Post
                        I really do not understand why we did not ban all travel to China when this virus originally broke out. And then when it started going to other countries we should of banned all travel outside Canada. It was the last thing we did...
                        When Trump banned flights from China he was roundly criticized. Canada lagged behind the US on travel bans. Dumb as it may sound, I think Canada was trying to be polite and not make it look like we were blaming China or Iran, where most of the early Canadian cases cane from.

Just like the VIA Rail blockades (remember those good ole days?) our clueless PM was asleep at the wheel trying not to offend anyone. In times of crisis, Justin time is a day late and a buck short, it would appear.
                        Last edited by golden; Thu Mar 19, 2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Bada Boom.
                          That's exactly what I was trying to articulate but considerably more concise.

Thanks Puff

Comment

• Check this video. Scroll down a wee bit. Very sad.

https://twitter.com/CandiceBenbow/st...306510342?s=19

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

3M N95 masks are made in China. I have a contract with a chain of medical clinics; Medical Director said all 3M masks being made are being kept in China, the doctor must have been stealing for family.
                              Yeah he said he was taking to send to his family in China.

Comment

• I work in a hospital too (not a frontline worker but still needed on site), in cancer care. I'm obviously grateful to have stable employment / income but i'm finding it hard to reconcile the "business as usual" (as much as possible) at work with this brave new world of shutdowns and distancing. It's surreal.

Comment

Working...
                                X