No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stick to good news: Italy appears to have peaked, New York is having a better day then they did yesterday, and Canada definitely appears well on their way to flattening the curve
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

Not wanting to politicize the Cdn response to Covid, but do you seriously think the Conservatives would have handled this differently/better?

By most accounts, Canada has handled this better than most countries, and those that have fared better did so because the population did what they were told when they were told to do it. A large subset of our population is not geared to listen so intently to government directives until they feel personally affected. I imagine if Trudeau had tried to close the border 6 weeks ago, the same people now saying it took too long would have been saying it was a ridiculous Liberal government overreaction.
      https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-c005a9695c9d/

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Dont worry! Everybody is getting government allowances!
        It's not a welfare tho. Government shutdown the economy, involuntary, and they're paying citizens compensation.

Comment

I'm stick to good news: Italy appears to have peaked, New York is having a better day then they did yesterday, and Canada definitely appears well on their way to flattening the curve
          Really? This looks more like accelerating out of control than flattening the curve to me. New record highs in Ontario every day.

Comment

• how many days has it been since our guys have been tested and been isolating?

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
              how many days has it been since our guys have been tested and been isolating?
              It's been exactly 2 weeks since Rudy Gobert shut down the NBA, so the Raps should be coming out of quarantine pretty soon.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                To me it seems like we got passed the first hurdle of the original overload of the Health care system.
                Nba was canceled two weeks ago tomorrow and that's when most people started realizing how serious this was.
                Canada and U.S have been in lockdown for about 10 days. By friday/saturday it will have been the 14 days. the maximum time it takes to show symptoms since we started to shut everything down. So the last of the cases of people who would have been interacting in a normal day to day tasks will have likely already gotten sick or will get sick in the next couple days.
                After that cases will date post-quarantine were all big gatherings like schools, gyms, concerts, sporting events have been shut down and infectious rate will decrease greatly because of this. The 1st hospital overload would have been this week, and it seems we made it past that.
                I also hope they begin to report the number of people recovered in addition to the number of people infected. I have been overloaded with Rona news and have stopped looking at news storys over the past few day because its just too much and anxiety inducing.
                I get the point to not let these college spring breaker types think that its over but some nice reporting of hundreds of people who recovered which should start happening this week would be very nice
                They've actually been reporting that regularly recently.

The positive number vs number of tests is extremely low leading me to believe a ton of people with regular flu or a bad cold are running to be tested. A guy is now in a medically induced coma today in Hamilton who had all the symptoms/red flags including recent being in New York City but couldn't get tested because they're prioritizing tests.

The latest numbers of confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases in Canada as of 6:39 p.m. ET on March 25, 2020:

There are 3,409 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada.

_ Quebec: 1,339 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 1 resolved)

_ British Columbia: 659 confirmed (including 14 deaths, 173 resolved)

_ Ontario: 688 confirmed (including 13 deaths, 8 resolved)

_ Alberta: 419 confirmed (including 2 deaths)

_ Saskatchewan: 86 confirmed

_ Nova Scotia: 68 confirmed

_ Newfoundland and Labrador: 4 confirmed, 63 presumptive

Manitoba: 25 confirmed, 10 presumptive

_ New Brunswick: 26 confirmed

_ Canadians quarantined at CFB Trenton: 13 confirmed

_ Prince Edward Island: 5 confirmed

_ The territories: 4 confirmed

_ Total: 3,409 (73 presumptive, 3,336 confirmed including 35 deaths, 182 resolved)

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

If that was a stock, we'd all be rich

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
                    sure, but my intent was not to look for explanations.

i was just responding to inthepaint's comment which seems to downplay the severity of the situation in the US and accuse the media of sensationalizing things. if they want to sensationalize anything they could report that the spread of the virus in NY has already surpassed that of Italy, as a percentage of the population, in much less time while projecting to get much worse.
                    I wasn't downplaying the situation in the US, was just clarifying there's a difference between raw numbers and numbers as a % of population countrywide. Some regions (like NY) are more affected than others, but the US doesn't have more cases per capita than Italy (at least not yet). As for the media, they're absolutely focusing on the dangersnegative side, but for once there's at least an argument for that (which is to try and convince people to stay home). That is serving the media well because bad news typically gets you more clicks/views, though that doesn't mean there aren't positives around. But I get it, in a place like the states where many people are still just ignoring it, reporting positives may give people more leeway to ignore the rules. The leeway is now with the media to say whatever they need to say to keep people at home.

Comment

• 23 pieces of good news about the coronavirus:

https://www.seattlepi.com/coronaviru...8HpQCRJJyoPKJI

Comment

• Really great and sobering article on COVID-19 and how it might end:
                        https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Really great and sobering article on COVID-19 and how it might end:
                          https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/
                          An article that has a lot of moving pieces in it. Some good info, but slanted a little toward the sensationalist side, which it looks like most of Ed Yong's articles are. Just one small example. To reinforce his claim the society will be fundamentally and negatively changed by this, he references a study to back up his claim that "two years after SARS hit Toronto, people who dealt with the outbreak were still less productive and more likely to be experiencing burnout and post-traumatic stress." What the study actually said was that "This study highlights the resiliency of HCWs (health care workers) and, despite this trait, the potential that working during the SARS outbreak had a substantial negative impact on a statistically significant number of people (emphasis added)."

Any claim that is qualified with the phrase "a statistically significant number of people" sets a low bar for meeting the criteria. And his description "people who dealt with the outbreak" would more correctly have been stated "a small percentage of people." Just one example of how he tilts his story.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Really? This looks more like accelerating out of control than flattening the curve to me. New record highs in Ontario every day.

Of course they're still going up. If we believe what we're told to believe than these numbers have a roughly 14 day lag. This is all from 2 weeks ago when nobody was staying in yet. And the numbers seem to have rounded to about 640 new cases median the last 3 days, it's not surging 30% day by day like it did in Italy early on. There was less new cases yesterday than there was the previous 2 days in Canada. We're way ahead of Italy, Iran, Spain, and the rest of the "horror stories"
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Of course they're still going up. If we believe what we're told to believe than these numbers have a roughly 14 day lag. This is all from 2 weeks ago when nobody was staying in yet. And the numbers seem to have rounded to about 640 new cases median the last 3 days, it's not surging 30% day by day like it did in Italy early on. There was less new cases yesterday than there was the previous 2 days in Canada. We're way ahead of Italy, Iran, Spain, and the rest of the "horror stories"
                              I'm hopeful this plays out better here than in those countries, shut downs and travel restrictions implemented here at the same time as in Europe when they already had tens of thousands of cases and we had a couple hundred. That said, it's been disappointing to see some of the early Canadian political messages of "Don't worry, we have supplies and plans and we're ready" we're at least partially BS. Some provinces have been limiting testing due to material shortages and low lab capacity (personnel). Canada's response will still be affected by some of the constraints other countries are experiencing, even though we had a head start vs some other countries.

I have zero tolerance with political BS in this situation. It's literally life and death for some people. Surely you can avoid inducing mass panic without resorting to blowing smoke. True facts only please.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• News this morning showed dozens of Cdn Snowbirds in RVs returning from the states but not before stopping in NY State to fill up on gas, groceries and cheap booze smh. The most vulnerable still just don't get it.

Then there's the video of some, I'm sorry..... idiot 60 year old getting home delivery of a coffee from Tim Hortons from a guy in a full HAZMAT suit and laughing about it. I can understand basic groceries and other necessities but you don't need a double double that badly you moron.

Comment

Working...
                                X