Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Hey, I thought we are all in this together ... self isolating, together.
    Get the picture?

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        Not unsurprisingly, KAT's dad has also tested positive

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Jesus Christ people are stupid. This whole crisis has made me realize that people are far far stupider than I thought.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

Jesus Christ people are stupid. This whole crisis has made me realize that people are far far stupider than I thought.
            Yep.
            www.buz...r-corona-virus
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
              A healthy child has passed away from coronavirus in Los Angeles.
              https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/los-...ronavirus.html

Doesn't it say they wouldn't reveal if the child had underlying health conditions?!

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...d-19-pandemic/

So Adam Silver and 200 of the top NBA Executives are taking a 20% pay cut due to revenue dropping.

He makes $10M a year salary and will now have to scrape by with 8M annualized .... this is not some sacrifice for the good of the game, it's simply recognizing there are no revenues and the billionaires and corporations that own these teams lay off all the little people that really need these jobs (kudos to those that have chosen to still pay them) and keep the Executives making $100,000 or 2 per week

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Italys numbers are not dropping, from steady at around roughly 5500 new cases, 650 deaths a day, despite lockdown starting about 17 days ago. Makes you wonder if this method is even worth it
                  Does it make you wonder that? I mean, isn't linear growth dramatically better than exponential growth? I suspect any health professional in the world would be delighted to choose the former.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Does it make you wonder that? I mean, isn't linear growth dramatically better than exponential growth? I suspect any health professional in the world would be delighted to choose the former.
                    OK, so now that they've achieved linear growth, what's the next step?

Comment

• If the death rate of tested cases is 4% and that 10 times more people are infected, who don't get tested... does that mean that the death rate is really more like 0.4%?

Comment

If the death rate of tested cases is 4% and that 10 times more people are infected, who don't get tested... does that mean that the death rate is really more like 0.4%?
                        Yes.They'll throw around both scare tactics at will ("4% mortality!"...."at least 10x more are infected than we know!!") but nobody seems to stop and think that those 2 stats or narratives or what have you contradict one another completely

Comment

If the death rate of tested cases is 4% and that 10 times more people are infected, who don't get tested... does that mean that the death rate is really more like 0.4%?
                          You got a point. I'm not sure if the numbers are exactly as you put it, but the principle is right:

--There are likely hundreds of thousands of people that have it, don't get tested and recover it. That would push the true fatality (and hospitalization) rate down (testing typically happens on on patients with symptoms or higher risk of exposure, which would inflate the rate of both hospitalizations and fatalities due to it)

--The number of tests is also going up rapidly worldwide, as science tries to get a better grasp of it. More testing will yield more cases on the spreadsheet. It'd be nice to see a graph that superimpose both, so we could get a corrected rate for the actual increase, rather than an inflated increase due to more testing.

--It would also be nice if there were more graphs out there showing the the number of current cases, rather than just new cases. For every 10 new cases, theres also a number a number of people that recovered are not contagious anymore, limiting the spread.

Like any complex data, there's several ways to look at it. A lot of times people cherry-pick data to support their message, while excluding/dismissing data that offends their theory. We've seen it countless of times on this very forum when talking basketball. Data is best used when it's impartial, but it's hardly ever used like that.

Comment

• Was the death rate ever really a concern? I think it's more about the overloading of our health care systems. Hospitals getting overrun. Staff getting sick and not being able to help. Running low or out of critical medical supplies.

Anyone know anybody that works in a hospital? How are things going in Canada? I'm hearing horror stories in the States, but nothing critical here. At least not in Ontario. But I'm on the outskirts of the GTA. I mean as an example my wife's doctor is calling her about something completely unrelated and mild.. just a casual check up. If she has the time to do that, it can't be that bad, right?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Was the death rate ever really a concern? I think it's more about the overloading of our health care systems. Hospitals getting overrun. Staff getting sick and not being able to help. Running low or out of critical medical supplies.

Anyone know anybody that works in a hospital? How are things going in Canada? I'm hearing horror stories in the States, but nothing critical here. At least not in Ontario. But I'm on the outskirts of the GTA. I mean as an example my wife's doctor is calling her about something completely unrelated and mild.. just a casual check up. If she has the time to do that, it can't be that bad, right?
                              It's pretty bad here in Canada. Nobody is working,they won't allow us to do anything, and they have us in a constant state of fear. Sucking the governments teet and begging for lockdowns while we await further instruction.

On the good news side, virus seems pretty under control.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's pretty bad here in Canada. Nobody is working,they won't allow us to do anything, and they have us in a constant state of fear. Sucking the governments teet and begging for lockdowns while we await further instruction.

On the good news side, virus seems pretty under control.
                                I think Canada is in good shape but we only did just close the border to the States earlier in the week. That should have been done sooner. I mean have you looked at NY's numbers? It's pretty bad and they are only an 8 hour ride to Ontario. Your out west.. wasn't the situation bad in Washington before it got hit everywhere else?

From what I'm reading the biggest spreaders are those that travel. They cross the border, don't self isolate and spread it to others. We're in lock down to avoid that spread causing us to become NY or Washington. But by mid April I can see Canada opening up for business again. I personally think they should keep the borders closed until at least May or June though.

Comment

Working...
                                X