Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    There isn't 'moving the goal posts,' there's a series of escalating measures that can be taken depending where you're at on the curve. It's a sequence of responses that's about avoiding the most extreme measures until absolutely necessary, all while trying to make sure to flatten the curve so the health care system can cope. That's it. Joe Rogan may be disappointed but there's no conspiracy.

These strategies are being provided by our leading health officials and actual scientists. All this isn't being run by a politician or a businessman. Politicians and business hate this, it's costing a shit load of money. These responses really don't serve any purpose other than public health.

​​​​It does all raise the really interesting ethical question of the value of human life. It's a fair question and a bit nuts that it's not a hypothetical right now. My life insurance policy tells my wife and kids I'm worth about $500,000. My arm is worth $10k or something and my eyeball $5k, I don't remember. How much are at risk lives worth? Are all measures justified or are any measures too extreme? Does the general welfare of the many ever out value the health of a few?

​​​​​I think we're going to be tackling these questions way more openly if this takes 12-24 months and if we see economic impacts as extreme as some are predicting, like 30% unemployment in the US.
    Actually, the CDC (and the Canadian equivalent) has a perfectly capable game plan for a pandemic. Basically it calls for quarantines for affected individuals, at least a 30 day shutdown of schools and public assembly etc. It is far more severe that what I found coming across the Canadian border 2 days after WHO had labelled this a world pandemic. I was asked where I was coming from, given no instruction to voluntarily quarantine myself for 14 days (which I did anyway) and the border crossing with my 31 foot trailer took all of 45 seconds. Canada was at least a week late in all of their actions and I am afraid this country will pay a serious price for being lax. This was like one of those "Look. He's got gangrene in his big toe. Should we cut it off?" moments. I think they pissed around until they pretty much guaranteed losing the foot. Better than countries that are letting the population lose a leg, but nothing to be proud of. And we had the whole SARs thing to learn from.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Now the Common Flu is a seasonal occurrence returning every year in a mutated form hence the partial effectiveness of vaccines. Is the coronavirus here to stay or will it be a 1 shot deal and eventually die-out like SARS?
      Much more stable virus than the common flu form what I have read. there are optimistic predictions that suggest a COVID-19 vaccine could last two years.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
        ...I’ll pose the same question I pose to climate science deniers: Who and more importantly why is pushing thus conspiracy? What does anyone have to gain? I mean, it had to be a worldwide propaganda effort at this point, right??
        Ha Ha Ha. Don't start that shit jimmie. Not if the science you are pointing to is 25 years of failed computer models.

Comment

• My apologies for hogging the thread. I thought more people would be posting. Now I look like a dick.

Comment

• Here. I'll break the chain for you, post away

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

This thread isn't ready to go down that rabbit hole

But check this out, the morality (death count) in europe hasn't increased really at all compared to years past....I know, I know..."yet"...

http://euromomo.eu/
              Keon, this one's for you.
              https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/04/...ockdowns-work/

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                He's using Japan as example but Japan is being pushed to the limit as well

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-minister-warns-japan-has-been-pushed-to-the-brink-as-it-struggles-to/

Calls for a lockdown have been growing on social media, with many Twitter users expressing worry and pointing to the more draconian measures taken in cities elsewhere around the world.

“One of my friends who works in Tokyo is still commuting on packed trains,” wrote a user under the Twitter handle Arikan.

“I’m a little embarrassed by how indecisive Japan is compared with other nations.”

I find it funny
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• wow lol

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

wow lol
                    Japan has a population of 126.8 million and 2384 cases. That's 0.0018% of their population. Out of that 0.0018%, you're gonna get your 80% with mild to no symptoms. The first case detected there was January 3rd, so it will be 3 full months tomorrow. There's been 57 deaths since that time. If hypothetically they had another 57 deaths before Friday, that would be 114 people dead out of their 126.8M (ie 0.00009% of their population). And that's in an old country, geographically close to where it all started. Pretty sure there are plenty of worse places than Japan out there when it comes to this.

Comment

• I'm not sure what point is trying to be conveyed by doing a comparison of population to number reported as infected. And I'm not asking any one person but I've seen enough similar posts.

The thing is that Japan may have 2384 reported or tested cases, but there isn't enough test kits to test everyone so there might be hundreds or thousands more infected. And those people are walking around infecting people unknowingly. As seen in Italy, Spain and in the US, this virus can spread like wildfire, so it's best to take all the extra measures feasible to contain it before it gets out of control as it has at those places.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I'm not sure what point is trying to be conveyed by doing a comparison of population to number reported as infected. And I'm not asking any one person but I've seen enough similar posts.

The thing is that Japan may have 2384 reported or tested cases, but there isn't enough test kits to test everyone so there might be hundreds or thousands more infected. And those people are walking around infecting people unknowingly. As seen in Italy, Spain and in the US, this virus can spread like wildfire, so it's best to take all the extra measures feasible to contain it before it gets out of control as it has at those places.
                        27X the number of people of people in Canada (so far) who have died this year from COVID (129), normally die from flu in an average year (3500).
                        https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/healt...llet-2-eng.pdf
                        Again, of all known cases in Canada 98% have little to mild issues. 2% are very serious and much depends on age and other conditions present at the time of contraction.

The point is not to underestimate or not respect the seriousness of the potential situation. But also to acknowledge that the media is driving much of the hysteria and people need to take both precautions as well as even keeled factual outlook.
                        https://globalnews.ca/news/6503722/c...us-death-risk/

It's possible to do both without being called a denier.
                        EDIT *without BEING a denier*, I don't think it's possible to do both and not be called one
                        Last edited by G__Deane; Thu Apr 2, 2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• comrades.

the woman in the video who is bragging that she was able to buy everything she needed because the americans didn't know what was coming is real. china was instructing chinese nationals all over the world to start buying as much supplies as possible about 3 months ago. and of course china had it's over seas nationals who own overseas companies to send back as much medical supplies as possible. ccp law is world law. quick reminder you can be friends with a communist, but you just have to do everything they say at all times. friendship with chinese characteristics.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

27X the number of people of people in Canada (so far) who have died this year from COVID (129), normally die from flu in an average year (3500).
                            https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/healt...llet-2-eng.pdf
                            Again, of all known cases in Canada 98% have little to mild issues. 2% are very serious and much depends on age and other conditions present at the time of contraction.

The point is not to underestimate or not respect the seriousness of the potential situation. But also to acknowledge that the media is driving much of the hysteria and people need to take both precautions as well as even keeled factual outlook.
                            https://globalnews.ca/news/6503722/c...us-death-risk/

It's possible to do both without being called a denier.
                            I'm not calling anyone anything, but look how much has changed in Canada and globally from the time the information on that Global News link you attached was originally reported. 20,000 cases reported globally at the start of February to now nearly a million in just two months. That's not media driving hysteria.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Japan has a population of 126.8 million and 2384 cases. That's 0.0018% of their population. Out of that 0.0018%, you're gonna get your 80% with mild to no symptoms. The first case detected there was January 3rd, so it will be 3 full months tomorrow. There's been 57 deaths since that time. If hypothetically they had another 57 deaths before Friday, that would be 114 people dead out of their 126.8M (ie 0.00009% of their population). And that's in an old country, geographically close to where it all started. Pretty sure there are plenty of worse places than Japan out there when it comes to this.
                              They lied about their deaths. Instead of reporting covid deaths they report pheunomia deaths. And they barely test anybody.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X