No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an example of the kind of over panicking the media capitalizes on for clicks: After the crisis, what kind of world do we want? Post-apocalyptic novels hold lessons — and warnings

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/after-the-cr...ings-1.5509721

"Society didn't prepare us for this. Politicians didn't prepare us for this. But as I've watched more and more uncertain people turning to movies like Steven Soderbergh's 2011 film Contagion, or TV shows like HBO's Westworld or Netflix's Kingdom, it has occurred to me that maybe art — particularly post-apocalyptic art — in some ways has prepared us for this."

Complete with pictures of zombie-land landscapes right out of Mad Max or post nuclear catastrophe movies. we've gone straight from pandemic to apocalypse

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
      This is an example of the kind of over panicking the media capitalizes on for clicks: After the crisis, what kind of world do we want? Post-apocalyptic novels hold lessons — and warnings

"Society didn't prepare us for this. Politicians didn't prepare us for this. But as I've watched more and more uncertain people turning to movies like Steven Soderbergh's 2011 film Contagion, or TV shows like HBO's Westworld or Netflix's Kingdom, it has occurred to me that maybe art — particularly post-apocalyptic art — in some ways has prepared us for this."

Complete with pictures of zombie-land landscapes right out of Mad Max or post nuclear catastrophe movies. we've gone straight from pandemic to apocalypse
      "what kind of world do we want after the event'

Uhhhh, the same fucking one we had 3 weeks ago??? Just like the other catchphrase they've been increasingly using, "The New Normal"...this is fucking shit
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

"what kind of world do we want after the event'

Uhhhh, the same fucking one we had 3 weeks ago??? Just like the other catchphrase they've been increasingly using, "The New Normal"...this is fucking shit
        I cringe every time I hear someone say "the new normal".

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Not before they go and spread it to countless other people.
          That's right. And out of those countless other people, countless will recover and a smaller % (regrettably mostly the more frail with other co-morbidities, many already near the end of their life expectancy), will unfortunately be hospitalized/pass away. That's the unfortunate nature of communicable diseases. Not to take anything away from this one, but for decades people in the developing world have dealt with all sorts of transmittable stuff from mosquitos to slugs to all sorts of crap they have no answer for. And they still had to go out, bring home the bacon, put a roof over them, and feed their kids.

In a highly theoretical world, humans could eradicate all human-to-human communicable diseases at once by permanently eliminating all contact with other individuals, other than the person they would mate with (and their offspring) to keep the species alive. The cost of that would be prohibitively exorbitant of course, it'd be society as we know it.

Preventive measures have tons of value. I’m doing all of them. That said, there's a cost to them too (not as high as the scenario above of course, but it's a significant one). Whether justifiably or not, that cost is largely being ignored right now. But it will catch up us eventually. Governments and society will need to balance the prevention of this with the ability to allow society to support itself. That doesn't mean we won't be able to do both, but more of one will often mean less of the other, and that will become more apparent in the weeks/months to come.

At some point in the near future, saying "wait it hasn't peaked yet, it can still get worse" won't be reasonable anymore. That balance will then have be found in the context of the severity of the disease as compared to other things that kills us, given the same amount of time. We're 7.78 billion. Right now, over ~5months covid claimed ~56,000 (includes deaths of individuals above their local life expectancy). We're all being prepared for the "peak" or "onslaught" about to come. In another 5 months, will it actually go from 56,000 to 1,000,000 (0.013% of the world's population)? If so, what should society do? Continue to shut itself down further? Or look at it from a different angle? What does that number (over 10months) mean in terms of world demographics and other perils around the world? These are big questions. Only time will tell for sure. In the meantime, let's follow the rules, but also retain perspective.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

That's right. And out of those countless other people, countless will recover and a smaller % (regrettably mostly the more frail with other co-morbidities, many already near the end of their life expectancy), will unfortunately be hospitalized/pass away. That's the unfortunate nature of communicable diseases. Not to take anything away from this one, but for decades people in the developing world have dealt with all sorts of transmittable stuff from mosquitos to slugs to all sorts of crap they have no answer for. And they still had to go out, bring home the bacon, put a roof over them, and feed their kids.

In a highly theoretical world, humans could eradicate all human-to-human communicable diseases at once by permanently eliminating all contact with other individuals, other than the person they would mate with (and their offspring) to keep the species alive. The cost of that would be prohibitively exorbitant of course, it'd be society as we know it.

Preventive measures have tons of value. I’m doing all of them. That said, there's a cost to them too (not as high as the scenario above of course, but it's a significant one). Whether justifiably or not, that cost is largely being ignored right now. But it will catch up us eventually. Governments and society will need to balance the prevention of this with the ability to allow society to support itself. That doesn't mean we won't be able to do both, but more of one will often mean less of the other, and that will become more apparent in the weeks/months to come.

At some point in the near future, saying "wait it hasn't peaked yet, it can still get worse" won't be reasonable anymore. That balance will then have be found in the context of the severity of the disease as compared to other things that kills us, given the same amount of time. We're 7.78 billion. Right now, over ~5months covid claimed ~56,000 (includes deaths of individuals above their local life expectancy). We're all being prepared for the "peak" or "onslaught" about to come. In another 5 months, will it actually go from 56,000 to 1,000,000 (0.013% of the world's population)? If so, what should society do? Continue to shut itself down further? Or look at it from a different angle? What does that number (over 10months) mean in terms of world demographics and other perils around the world? These are big questions. Only time will tell for sure. In the meantime, let's follow the rules, but also retain perspective.
            Yes I'm aware of the cost. I know where you come from. My company is small and our most important months are during wedding season. As you can imagine there's no wedding season right now. People are canceling. So I know that if this continues I will be laid off. But I also have parents whose health is not the best. So I understand the perspective and I'm not panicking.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post

I think its a real eye opener that a lot of people were just really miserable, and this entire thing is like an adventure to them. There's clusters of the internet where people are begging for 18 month lockdowns and shit. It's bizarre, and maybe a case study into society today.

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post

Agreed. Not the new normal. A momentary extreme, that we must push for.

​​https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-passed-in-u-s

Seems the momentary needed relief has a tendency to stay.

Comment

• I haven't seen this posted here yet. Pretty good news. A highly credible doctor, Dr. Stephen Smith, founder of The Smith Center for Infectious Diseases and Urban Health, says "this is a game changer."

"Smith, who is treating 72 COVID-19 patients, said that he has been treating 'everybody with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin [an antibiotic]. We’ve been doing so for a while.'

He pointed out that not a single COVID-19 patient of his that has been on the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin regimen for five days or more has had to be intubated.

'The chance of that occurring by chance, according to my sons Leon and Hunter who did some stats for me, are .000-something,' he said, adding that 'it’s ridiculously low.'"

He also notes in the interview that most of the people who suffer the worst are diabetic or pre-diabetic and frequently have a high incidence of being overweight. Like 300 pounds or more overweight. I hadn't heard the weight issue mentioned before.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-ste...f-the-pandemic

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    I haven't seen this posted here yet. Pretty good news. A highly credible doctor, Dr. Stephen Smith, founder of The Smith Center for Infectious Diseases and Urban Health, says "this is a game changer."

"Smith, who is treating 72 COVID-19 patients, said that he has been treating 'everybody with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin [an antibiotic]. We’ve been doing so for a while.'

He pointed out that not a single COVID-19 patient of his that has been on the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin regimen for five days or more has had to be intubated.

'The chance of that occurring by chance, according to my sons Leon and Hunter who did some stats for me, are .000-something,' he said, adding that 'it’s ridiculously low.'"

He also notes in the interview that most of the people who suffer the worst are diabetic or pre-diabetic and frequently have a high incidence of being overweight. Like 300 pounds or more overweight. I hadn't heard the weight issue mentioned before.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-ste...f-the-pandemic
                    Jesus Christ. This treatment has also killed people. Please, no Fox News.
                    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

There are some reasons to be optimistic about the treatment....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/t...rus-drugs.html

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/h...outweigh-risks

Comment

I'm not listening to Fox News. I am listening to an extremely qualified doctor who is caring for and having a high level of success with people who have COVID-19. Repeating results that have been achieved in France, New York State, Italy, China and others. And this, from the American College of Cardiology:

"While QT-prolonging medication use has been associated with increased risk of death, the absolute magnitude is likely smaller than the potential benefit from treatment of COVID-19 among specific subgroups with COVID-19 infection (e.g., ICU-hospitalized patients and outpatients age >70).
                        There are large potential population-health benefits from hastening viral clearance of COVID-19."

This is not meant to encourage people to run out and start popping hydroxychloroquine. It is mean to provide information for people that is encouraging and indicates there may be a way out that is closer than many others are suggesting.

Comment

Coronavirus: *kills thousand of people*

jesus christ man that possible cure or treatment may have side effects are you trying to kill people!?!?!

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                            This is an example of the kind of over panicking the media capitalizes on for clicks: After the crisis, what kind of world do we want? Post-apocalyptic novels hold lessons — and warnings

Pathetic. (not your post, the content you referred to).

For years traditional media has been on a race to the bottom amongst themselves to desperately compete with tweeter and facebook for people's attention. But throughout this they reached new lows. It's a sorry display. This is a government funded network for fucks sake. The sad part is our youth read that crap and gobble it right up.

Comment

• So no sports for a year and a half? I understand that we're likely not going to see fans in arenas until there's a vaccine. But why not just put teams in a centralized locations?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I think its a real eye opener that a lot of people were just really miserable, and this entire thing is like an adventure to them. There's clusters of the internet where people are begging for 18 month lockdowns and shit. It's bizarre, and maybe a case study into society today.
                                I stay off that little corner of the internet

Comment

Working...
                                X