No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I want is so some concrete numbers. That's all I ask. Each day they make the finish line more distant just tell me, "if we get cases and deaths down to x by day y, well start reopening" wouldnt having a real goal motivate people too?

are you seriously telling me in 2020, weve dealt with pandemics before and talked about the arrival of this one for a decade, and people really suggesting the most viable plan is to hide at home with wife and kids and government print money to buy food for a year and a half until the cure is released? Am I on punkd?
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Pathetic. (not your post, the content you referred to).

For years traditional media has been on a race to the bottom amongst themselves to desperately compete with tweeter and facebook for people's attention. But throughout this they reached new lows. It's a sorry display. This is a government funded network for fucks sake. The sad part is our youth read that crap and gobble it right up.
      And form opinions based off it and repeat it on social media as gospel

Comment

• For those who don't want to see the depressing side of this, don't google the story of the Michigan bus driver. If you do, go ahead. As they say, it's "an n of 1" so it shouldn't sway anybody's position but it's powerful

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
          For those who don't want to see the depressing side of this, don't google the story of the Michigan bus driver. If you do, go ahead. As they say, it's "an n of 1" so it shouldn't sway anybody's position but it's powerful
          Saw it. Can't imagine how he felt.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• So now they're starting to roll out the 18 months of isolation. It began today. Gotta ease it in. This was never "easing the initial hospital rush"..Buckle up folks.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Wednesday that once there are no new coronavirus cases or new deaths from COVID-19, social distancing can be relaxed.
            Bill Gates: You know, I thought we would respond a bit faster. …what we're doing, how we're having to change the economy here in order to drop the number of cases, it's, you know, it's really unprecedented… Even the issue of once you get the cases numbers down… but what does opening up look like? You know, which activities have, like schools, have such benefit and can be done in a way that the risk of transmission is very low?

Mason: Yeah.

Gates: And which activities, like mass gatherings, may be— in a certain sense— more optional. And so until you're widely vaccinated, those may not come back at all.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Can you elaborate on how you might do that? Because that IS essentially what's happening in Canada - you implement social distancing, keep people from going to work, keep people from going into public places, close the borders, etc. (ie "stomp out the pandemic"), then you provide support for those people and businesses while this gets sorted out (ie "protecting the economy"), so that when its over we don't just have Uber Eats Delivery drivers as the only employed people.
              There's no way the economy isn't going to be impacted by a global pandemic. But what has been done, will allow the economy to bounce back fairly quickly once things get back to "normal" without having millions on the street and businesses shuttered everywhere.

I mean, it's either that, or you just stick with status quo, and Millions get sick and businesses lose money anyway, no?
              By stopping the pandemic we protect the economy. My point was it isn't A versus B cause that's a false choice. A actually leads to B. We do what we are doing for now isolation-wise but we also need to continually re-evaluate. We also need to start having a public conversation about what victory looks like and how we get everything back to 100%. In terms of helping people and businesses, I agree, but we actually aren't really doing that at the moment, at least not very well. The business loan/equity program is moving at a snail's pace and no benefits are flowing. Speed is critical and the feds are moving far too slowly.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                So now they're starting to roll out the 18 months of isolation. It began today. Gotta ease it in. This was never "easing the initial hospital rush"..Buckle up folks.

And here I was, looking forward to our back-to-back NBA championship parade....

Last edited by golden; Fri Apr 3, 2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And here I was, looking forward to our back-to-back NBA championship parade....

At this rate we could be defending champs for 3 summers. First 3 peat since Shaq and Kobe baby.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    So now they're starting to roll out the 18 months of isolation. It began today. Gotta ease it in. This was never "easing the initial hospital rush"..Buckle up folks.
                    It won't be that long. They will mandate masks and other measures before they let it go on that long. There won't be any businesses left if it goes on that long. But, just in case, buy guns and ammo.

EDIT: Like: mandate masks in public, quarantine elder care facilities and similar places, quarantine anyone who tests positive and close contacts, limit public gatherings, cancellation of major events, closing of borders. Otherwise, go back to work....
                    Last edited by slaw; Fri Apr 3, 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

It won't be that long. They will mandate masks and other measures before they let it go on that long. There won't be any businesses left if it goes on that long. But, just in case, buy guns and ammo.

EDIT: Like: mandate masks in public, quarantine elder care facilities and similar places, quarantine anyone who tests positive and close contacts, limit public gatherings, cancellation of major events, closing of borders. Otherwise, go back to work....
                      You know what really pisses me off? In the first days of this thing, over here in Markham (large Asian community) everybody started wearing masks. Then you had the so-called "smart people" and "experts" say .... masks are actually bad for you. 'Masks don't fit properly'. 'Masks do more harm than good'. 'Don't wear masks... save them for the healthcare workers who need them'. 'Masks won't protect you.' There's the rub.... protect YOU. That's selfish and misguided.

Fast-forward 2 months and we now know that the most common form of transmission is droplets from your mouth.

Masks aren't to protect you. They are to protect the other person from your frickin' spit. If EVERYBODY wore masks, you would exponentially cut down the most common form of transmission. Asians know this, because it's ingrained in the culture (especially places like Japan).

Be a good citizen. Wear a goddamn mask people. Let's protect each other. It's not that hard.
                      Last edited by golden; Fri Apr 3, 2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

It's not just back to work, public gatherings / entertainment is a HUGE source of western revenue and employment. Getting the office guys back is just a start. Rec sports need to happen again, Bars and restaurants, spring and summer leisure activities.. I have a sinking feeling we get none of these things until the vaccine comes out.

Don't worry though, The opioid crisis criminals at Johnson & Johnson were given $1 billion to develop a CV-19 vaccine. We can trust them lol.

-Johnson & Johnson paid $1 billion to develop a CV-19 vaccine

-Opioid crisis: Johnson is being sued for $billions

-J& J paying millions for toxic baby powder that caused cancer

-J&J to pay $2.2 billion to end massive fraud case

Comment

• golden, the mask point is a great point. Again, we need to take a hard look at the lack of preparedness and the mishandling of this in the early days by our public health experts. On masks, it is clear that they lied for the sole reason that they knew there weren't enough masks and that the health care workers would be short. They lied to protect themselves.... and they are still in charge.

Fortunately, we have some masks that we have used cause our one young son has asthma and gets hit hard by colds/flus. I had to run out to the store last night and I was the only person (other than staff) who was wearing a mask. Most of the staff wasn't wearing masks either. I got a lot of strange looks. We need to change the social norm around masks in Canada.

Comment

golden, the mask point is a great point. Again, we need to take a hard look at the lack of preparedness and the mishandling of this in the early days by our public health experts. On masks, it is clear that they lied for the sole reason that they knew there weren't enough masks and that the health care workers would be short. They lied to protect themselves.... and they are still in charge.

Fortunately, we have some masks that we have used cause our one young son has asthma and gets hit hard by colds/flus. I had to run out to the store last night and I was the only person (other than staff) who was wearing a mask. Most of the staff wasn't wearing masks either. I got a lot of strange looks. We need to change the social norm around masks in Canada.
                            On a historical time-scale, North American and Western societies are relative babies compared to eastern countries. To eastern cultures, it's just common sense and common courtesy to wear a mask, even before this epidemic. North American culture has to go through these painful lessons to grow up, unfortunately. To western society, it 'looks funny' and it's comfortable. Boo-hoo. Heck, you don't even need an N95 or surgical mask, even a damn scarf or balaclava would cut airborne spit down like 90%. Or just grab your wife (or mistress') stockings and put them over your head.

Control your own spit,FFS. There should be big fines for that. The government could easily implement that kind of law overnight.

Comment

You know what really pisses me off? In the first days of this thing, over here in Markham (large Asian community) everybody started wearing masks. Then you had the so-called "smart people" and "experts" say .... masks are actually bad for you. 'Masks don't fit properly'. 'Masks do more harm than good'. 'Don't wear masks... save them for the healthcare workers who need them'. 'Masks won't protect you.' There's the rub.... protect YOU. That's selfish and misguided.

Fast-forward 2 months and we now know that the most common form of transmission is droplets from your mouth.

Masks aren't to protect you. They are to protect the other person from your frickin' spit. If EVERYBODY wore masks, you would exponentially cut down the most common form of transmission. Asians know this, because it's ingrained in the culture (especially places like Japan).

Be a good citizen. Wear a goddamn mask people. Let's protect each other. It's not that hard.
                              So do you basically (for the most part) have to cough to transmit it? Or hand to mouth to objects?

Comment

On a historical time-scale, North American and Western societies are relative babies compared to eastern countries. To eastern cultures, it's just common sense and common courtesy to wear a mask, even before this epidemic. North American culture has to go through these painful lessons to grow up, unfortunately. To western society, it 'looks funny' and it's comfortable. Boo-hoo. Heck, you don't even need an N95 or surgical mask, even a damn scarf or balaclava would cut airborne spit down like 90%. Or just grab your wife (or mistress') stockings and put them over your head.

Control your own spit,FFS. There should be big fines for that. The government could easily implement that kind of law overnight.
                                I already do that, every Friday night. Can't wait for tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X