No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is bracing for several more weeks of uncertainty about the remainder of this halted season, revealing Monday night that he does not expect the league will be able to decide anything until at least May.

Comment

• I wonder what the exit strategy is...

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...place-in-world

Taiwan isn't there but they top this "success with masks" list - they have managed Covid-19 the best in the world. They went nuts on masks early on.... and full-on xenophobic by banning travelers from Wuhan almost immediately. Taiwan basically ignored the WHO and CDC's expert advice, in part because China has frozen out Taiwan from these global NGOs. That seems like a good thing.

WHO doesn't recognize Taiwan. That should tell you everything about WHO
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

WHO doesn't recognize Taiwan. That should tell you everything about WHO
          Shame on you, Bruce Aylward. How much is China paying you? Was it worth it? You are not a Canadian anymore. Revoke his citizenship.
          Last edited by golden; Tue Apr 7, 2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post
            I wonder what the exit strategy is...
            If the public health advisors think this can go forever they are fooling themselves. They've got until the end of the month, at the very latest end of May, to get the world back up and running toward some sort of normalcy. People aren't going to sit in their house until September.

Comment

Shame on you, Bruce Aylward. How much is China paying you? Was it worth it? You are not a Canadian anymore. Revoke his citizenship.
              This pandemic is exposing to the public the extent to which western institutions have been infiltrated and corrupted by the PRC. Lots of businessmen, politicians, academics, media, etc., have sold out their countries to make a quick buck. Along with China, these people need to be shamed and shunned after this is over.

Comment

Well, yes and no. Masks are one of a pile of factors that differ between individual country responses on that graph. Masks are also popular in China, for example, and the response there was a shit storm.

Taiwan and Singapore are more authoritarian, yes they clamped down early and in ways (invasion of privacy) that people would have revolted at in the west. 20/20 hindsight is completely forgetting how quickly westerners went from laughing at this whole thing to realizing it was serious, that switch flipped in a matter of 1-2 days in most places. Then in hindsight people are saying "Should have taken action a month earlier!" Those same people thought this was a joke a month earlier, if the government closed airports, borders, and started tracking their location via cell phone data a month earlier, holy the shit would have hit the fan in these same countries. Canada isn't Singapore.

Anyway, will be interesting to see if the cultural norm of wearing masks to avoid making other people sick (common around East Asia before the pandemic) will pick up in other regions now. Probably a bit.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

If the public health advisors think this can go forever they are fooling themselves. They've got until the end of the month, at the very latest end of May, to get the world back up and running toward some sort of normalcy. People aren't going to sit in their house until September.
                  The numbers followed roughly the same pattern in China and Europe. It gets worse for a month, then stays at that level for a week or 2, then begins its descent. China is basically fully open for business now. Europe has definitely seen its peak, and is gradually descending. North American outbreak begin March 10-16 depending on region. It should peak in the next week, start coming down in a couple weeks, and economy running again by mid to late may.

that is, if we dont wanna kill 90% of small business (including ones still open but barely staying afloat). I'm sure there will be distancing, disinfecting and mass gathering rules in place much longer, but we need to get back some sense of normalcy before june.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• What a remarkable human being.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

What I have a hard time understanding is that if a vaccine isn't available for mass distribution for another year, and we relax social distancing gatherings to say, 50-100 people at a time, and then one person gets "infected" and infects the rest, and so on and so on, and there's another "outbreak", do we shut the world down again for periods of times in order to contain the virus?

I have a number of friends who own small businesses or work for small business and they are all suffering right now, and I don't know when or if they'll recover.

I've spoken to people who are so petrified of the virus that even when we're allowed back in public, they'll continue a lot of what they're currently doing, including working from home, not going to the gym, not going to restaurants or gather in public places, etc. I still don't know what the fallout from this is going to be over the next while...

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post

What I have a hard time understanding is that if a vaccine isn't available for mass distribution for another year, and we relax social distancing gatherings to say, 50-100 people at a time, and then one person gets "infected" and infects the rest, and so on and so on, and there's another "outbreak", do we shut the world down again for periods of times in order to contain the virus?

I have a number of friends who own small businesses or work for small business and they are all suffering right now, and I don't know when or if they'll recover.

I've spoken to people who are so petrified of the virus that even when we're allowed back in public, they'll continue a lot of what they're currently doing, including working from home, not going to the gym, not going to restaurants or gather in public places, etc. I still don't know what the fallout from this is going to be over the next while...
                        i think a side effect is going to be office shut downs anyway. lots of wasted overhead with rent/lease and utilities. everything can be done at home. our electricity bills will go up to compensate the hydro companies for their loss of business.

Comment

• I can see the current social distancing protocol remaining in place until June 1 or perhaps July 1. Even then, I think it will be a soft opening for about 3 months, with continued social distancing but many businesses will open, but still no large gatherings. A further loosening in September as the schools reopen. However, i doubt we return to pre-Corona social activities until we have a mass universal vaccination, which we are still 15 to 18 months away from.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Well, yes and no. Masks are one of a pile of factors that differ between individual country responses on that graph. Masks are also popular in China, for example, and the response there was a shit storm.

Taiwan and Singapore are more authoritarian, yes they clamped down early and in ways (invasion of privacy) that people would have revolted at in the west. 20/20 hindsight is completely forgetting how quickly westerners went from laughing at this whole thing to realizing it was serious, that switch flipped in a matter of 1-2 days in most places. Then in hindsight people are saying "Should have taken action a month earlier!" Those same people thought this was a joke a month earlier, if the government closed airports, borders, and started tracking their location via cell phone data a month earlier, holy the shit would have hit the fan in these same countries. Canada isn't Singapore.

Anyway, will be interesting to see if the cultural norm of wearing masks to avoid making other people sick (common around East Asia before the pandemic) will pick up in other regions now. Probably a bit.
                            Nobody knows what was going on in China in the early days and the truth will never be known, because that's how they roll. Deny. Deny. Deny. That said, China was also the epicenter, and even they were figuring things out while at the same time trying to tell the world ".... nothing to see here."

Like I posted earlier, people up here in Markham (almost all Asians) voluntarily had the masks out in full force just before Chinese New Year (early February). Other people (i.e. mostly Caucasians and other Canadians) were laughing at them for over-reacting. So, it's not like wearing masks can't work in a democratic society.

If the WHO and CDC and all the other medical authorities had come out strongly in unison saying that non-medical masks (heck, even scarves) were strongly recommended to prevent asymptomatic transmission, then you would have seen much faster adoption, a flatter curve and lives saved. It was a massive f*ck up by the powers that be to recommend the polar opposite with strong, unambiguous statements like: "masks don't work." That pretty much ensured that less autocratic countries wouldn't take it seriously until it was too late. Give people good advice and let them decide/debate/implement, etc... is all I'm saying.

Comment

Nobody knows what was going on in China in the early days and the truth will never be known, because that's how they roll. Deny. Deny. Deny. That said, China was also the epicenter, and even they were figuring things out while at the same time trying to tell the world ".... nothing to see here."

Like I posted earlier, people up here in Markham (almost all Asians) voluntarily had the masks out in full force just before Chinese New Year (early February). Other people (i.e. mostly Caucasians and other Canadians) were laughing at them for over-reacting. So, it's not like wearing masks can't work in a democratic society.

If the WHO and CDC and all the other medical authorities had come out strongly in unison saying that non-medical masks (heck, even scarves) were strongly recommended to prevent asymptomatic transmission, then you would have seen much faster adoption, a flatter curve and lives saved. It was a massive f*ck up by the powers that be to recommend the polar opposite with strong, unambiguous statements like: "masks don't work." That pretty much ensured that less autocratic countries wouldn't take it seriously until it was too late. Give people good advice and let them decide/debate/implement, etc... is all I'm saying.

Trudeau has been heeding your advice, golden. And again, such a way with words. Don't be talkin moist on me!

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• danno wrote: View Post
                                I can see the current social distancing protocol remaining in place until June 1 or perhaps July 1. Even then, I think it will be a soft opening for about 3 months, with continued social distancing but many businesses will open, but still no large gatherings. A further loosening in September as the schools reopen. However, i doubt we return to pre-Corona social activities until we have a mass universal vaccination, which we are still 15 to 18 months away from.
                                What organization is guaranteeing there will be a vaccine, ever?
                                Same one working on an AIDS vaccine? Or seasonal flu?

Comment

Working...
                                X