Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

This is where I think you're mis-interpreting the intent. It's not joy to keep these measures going, it's that people just want to get this effing thing over with as fast as possible..... like yesterday. And they think that if EVERYBODY goes hard-core into self isolation and other measures, then we can ALL get back to the new normal faster. What you're seeing is just a byproduct of people getting majorly pissed off at the people who they perceive still aren't taking things seriously and contributing to the spread and the disease lingering longer than it could/should.

People like this....

lol. this kid put out a really good apology. he seems to have gone back after spring break, and got a talking too.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...mi-video-viral

it seems sincere to me. when i was 20 i got 4 tattoos in back alley china. my canadian doctor said of everything i have shoved into myself that was the most dangerous and i got lucky.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I might just be seeing different things then you. Im seeing post on my local citys reddit asking where they can report people jogging. Posting pictures of people playing frisbee shaming them and cheering on articles such as the dad getting a ticket for roller blading.

I also dont necessarily agree that if we go into hard core self isolation the virus is going is disappear. It's still going to be out there people have to get grocerys etc. The virus has a resievour in our population now. It isn't going away. People can sit inside until September only to come out and the infections sky rocket once again. No one is saying that the virus will disappear, we passed that point already. Its now a part of our regular cycle of sickness
      i am seeing neighbour on neighbour and i think it is gross. you can still find commie comic books about the good sons and daughters snitching on their grandparents and parents for being american running dogs, or soviet spies during the cultural revolution in china, and neighbors snitching on jews in world war 2.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

do we go back to normal before the second wave? Or are we just on lockdown for the next 12 months? That's the question. Trudeau says we don't go back to normal until we have a vaccine. I think that's wishful thinking.
        You gotta read between the lines. Media prints "NO NORMAL UNTIL VACCINE" as a headline cause then everybody reads it. No normal I imagine means things like mass gatherings, travel restrictions, keeping plexiglass and taped lines down at stores, masks, drilling it into your head about washing hands, quaranting rules etc.

With that said, we will be able to open up non essential services long before the vaccine. China is rolling around Beijing and Shanghai with most everything open. Italy and Spain are slowly lifting measures, starting now. Just look at the other curves for glimmers of hope. It seems bleak right now because they've never given us any real guidlines, goals or numbers that they want to see. Just vague requests to be afraid, be very afraid, and stay back 6 feet. The magical 6 feet.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

lol. this kid put out a really good apology. he seems to have gone back after spring break, and got a talking too.
          https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...mi-video-viral

it seems sincere to me. when i was 20 i got 4 tattoos in back alley china. my canadian doctor said of everything i have shoved into myself that was the most dangerous and i got lucky.
          lol. I'm not even going to give a hint at the stupid stuff I did growing up..... but none of my crazy sh*t caused people, who are completely unrelated to me, to stay at home against their will. It's basically a case of people needing to sacrifice your personal freedom for the greater public good... and some people are pissed off at other people who they feel are being selfish and spoiling it for everybody, and prolonging this curve flattening time. I'm not agreeing or dis-agreeing with their opinions, I'm just explaining why people are going militant on people who aren't self-isolating to the point where it feels like we're encouraging a police state. TBH, North Americans could use a little dose of discipline, sacrifice and civic duty, as a small price to pay for the privileges that are available in a free society.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            TBH, North Americans could use a little dose of discipline, sacrifice and civic duty, as a small price to pay for the privileges that are available in a free society.
            here, here.

Comment

• We have to be vigilant during these times. Some of these don't necessarily apply to Canada, but there's actually quite a few parallels between the 30's and today's age:

Phenomenon 30's/early 40's 2020
              New sophisticated methods of propaganda, peaking ~15yrs after invention of a new dissemination technology Totalitarian mass distribution of information and mis-information through TV and other methods (TV invented in 1927) Social Media (Facebook invented in 2004)
              Deep political divisions (often over-passioned to the point of ignoring reason) Ideology clashes of the 30's U.S. political division at historic heights (Red/Blue), European Nationalistic surges, Brexit
              Economic duress, record high unemployment Great Depression Covid economic ravaging
              Enlarged government powers in the name of combatting a common threat Justification of totalitarian measures Limiting of civil liberties to combat a pandemic
              A frightened populace relying on government to support them financially and emotionally A frightened populace relying on government to support them financially and emotionally A frightened populace relying on government to support them financially and emotionally
              Same populace eco-chambering government mantras, and swift, widespread condemnation of dissident opinions Gestapo's intel crowd sourcing, for information and tips from the public (the "Citizen Gestapo") Twitter finger pointing and public online shaming for roommates throwing a frisbee in a park
              Ethnic tensions enhanced by migration and economic instability Jewish migration/settlement in western Europe Refugee crisis/migrant boats toppled at sea

We're obviously very far from what happened in the 30's, but a lot of that stuff had the root on people losing their ability to provide for their families. The rest of the crazy stuff just built up from that. My take on this is, yes, respect the rules so we can get this over with quickly, but don't lose common sense and lose perspective in the process. When this is over, go get a beer with your friends, get a haircut at your local barber to support him, take your kids to the pool, live normally again.

Comment

• In the 30's / early 40's, there were very few televisions in peoples' homes - it was very much a high-end luxury item - in 1940, a television started at $395, which is the equivalent of $7231 today.

One of the big challenges with the social media era is that people can assert a factually incorrect position on a subject, based on no knowledge, experience, or research - and it will travel around the world as legitimate counterpoints to knowledgeable fact-based positions.

Comment

• In fairness to the kid in the video, CBS tweeted that March 19th. They probably filmed it a week prior. A lot has obviously changed in the last month.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                    In the 30's / early 40's, there were very few televisions in peoples' homes - it was very much a high-end luxury item - in 1940, a television started at $395, which is the equivalent of $7231 today.

One of the big challenges with the social media era is that people can assert a factually incorrect position on a subject, based on no knowledge, experience, or research - and it will travel around the world as legitimate counterpoints to knowledgeable fact-based positions.
                    True for the TV part, but dissemination of propaganda (often involving mis-information) was a very common practice, regardless of the medium. Today the potential for that is even higher, like you pointed out

Comment

• a thought hits me, in some weird perverse way(scientific curiosity), there has to be some virus and disease scientists that are thrilled watching this happen. not happy that people are dying, but enthralled that they don't need models, and hypotheticals to study in their fields.

if your science was completely based on theory, and historic data, living through something like this must be incredible.

Comment

a thought hits me, in some weird perverse way(scientific curiosity), there has to be some virus and disease scientists that are thrilled watching this happen. not happy that people are dying, but enthralled that they don't need models, and hypotheticals to study in their fields.

if your science was completely based on theory, and historic data, living through something like this must be incredible.
                        Maybe now these guy will actually get funding to develop preventive measures and research vaccines and country's will invest in preparing.

I've been reading quite a bit of the scientific papers on MERS and SARS and almost all of them the predicted that another Corona virus would develop that would spread globally, basically saying we were lucky MERS and SARS were contained to small regions. Some even predicted a new strain of Corona would come once again in the 2020s. As we saw Sars in the 00s and MERS in the 10s.
                        And many warning about the practices of eating things suchs as bats will lead to more outbreaks
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Maybe now these guy will actually get funding to develop preventive measures and research vaccines and country's will invest in preparing.

I've been reading quite a bit of the scientific papers on MERS and SARS and almost all of them the predicted that another Corona virus would develop that would spread globally, basically saying we were lucky MERS and SARS were contained to small regions. Some even predicted a new strain of Corona would come once again in the 2020s. As we saw Sars in the 00s and MERS in the 10s.
                          And many warning about the practices of eating things suchs as bats will lead to more outbreaks
                          All of this was warned about by virtually every county's national health authorities. On the other hand, there were probably just as many credible authorities saying that it couldn't happen now with all these national health authorities monitoring the situation. There is a lot of Monday Morning quarterbacking going on. The reports that US intelligence agencies warned the White House about the seriousness of the threat ignores previous US intelligence warnings about Iraq's weapons of Mass Destruction, climate refugees, catastrophic climate change, suitcase nukes and Al Qaeda sleeper cells in the US. It is what it is. Some governments F****d it up, some made the correct call. You tell me if the correct ones were smart or lucky.

Comment

a thought hits me, in some weird perverse way(scientific curiosity), there has to be some virus and disease scientists that are thrilled watching this happen. not happy that people are dying, but enthralled that they don't need models, and hypotheticals to study in their fields.

I have a couple of acquaintances who do work with climate modelling. They're working absolutely frantic and insane hours at the moment to capture as much data as possible to understand the impact that the lockdown measures have on the environment.

Before the pandemic, the impact of say, removing 10k cars from the road on the growth rate of trees, was based on really small sample sizes and assumptions - now they have significantly more data points to predict

Comment

• Gosh If this wasn't on CBC I would think it's a joke, something out of Stephen Colbert/SNL or some late night comedy show:

"If you're feeling more tired than usual in the midst of this pandemic, that's normal, according to one philosopher.

As COVID-19 upends daily life,many Canadians are having to make moral calculations that are well out of the ordinary, like whether or not it's responsible to go to the grocery store or take a walk in the park.

All those new decisions could be leading some to feel moral fatigue, also known as compassion fatigue, says Fordham University law and philosophy professor Michael Baur."

Common sense is out the window folks, we've officially arrived at peak scardy-cat society.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                                Gosh If this wasn't on CBC I would think it's a joke, something out of Stephen Colbert/SNL or some late night comedy show:

"If you're feeling more tired than usual in the midst of this pandemic, that's normal, according to one philosopher.

As COVID-19 upends daily life,many Canadians are having to make moral calculations that are well out of the ordinary, like whether or not it's responsible to go to the grocery store or take a walk in the park.

All those new decisions could be leading some to feel moral fatigue, also known as compassion fatigue, says Fordham University law and philosophy professor Michael Baur."

Common sense is out the window folks, we've officially arrived at peak scardy-cat society.
                                These are the people who voted for Justin Trudeau..... leader of the compassionate morality brigade. They’re actually eating this sh!t up and love being in their feels 24/7.

Common sense went out the window loooong before Covid, bro.

Comment

Working...
                                X